Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Where do I start with the whole exhaust system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Yeah, for the price, I'd expect a full stainless system. They ARE well made otherwise, and the sound is great... but your OBX knockoff is probably pretty close in sound.
    It is close but it’s little louder to me. Mine is a straight through design and the real WS2 has a baffle like thing in it. IDK if you would still consider it straight through or not though. It’s like a round metal screen near the inlet with round holes in it the size of a pencil.

SOHC FTW tried to find an OBX WS2 a while back and couldn’t find one. I think they stopped making them. The OBX HR12 or HC12 Forza is close but still a little bit different in the tip location.

Comment

Apexi may not have approved of the similarity. Yours probably flows better.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Apexi may not have approved of the similarity. Yours probably flows better.
        I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I figured that Apexi might have had a problem with it. Apexi is making a $280-$325 muffler and OBX comes in and starts making them for $60 and starts taking Apexi’s business. That’s about the best idea I can come up with.

IDK about it out flowing the Apexi but it very well could. Sacrificed a little noise for better flow. Not to mention its cheaper to make.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          That is a choice and to me it sounds like a good one. A Flowmaster 40 would look cool aswell. Kinda sleeperish.

Ive also thought about trying the Vibrant StreetPower Muffler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-1148...19c56b&vxp=mtr
          Would you say the ebay catback was worth the money, or should I just keep my cat stock and just replace the muffler & resonator? Would the ebay cat make a huge difference in sound and quality?

Comment

Originally posted by thestockcb7 View Post
            Would you say the ebay catback was worth the money, or should I just keep my cat stock and just replace the muffler & resonator? Would the ebay cat make a huge difference in sound and quality?
            Personaly I would go with the ebay catback. The reason for this is because they are stainless. Puting a stainless muffler or resonator on a steel exhaust sounds like a waste to me. Stainless lasts twice as long or longer than regular steel. Also its easier to match up the size of exhaust tubing with the size of the muffler and resonator in/out size with the ebay catback. The catback will be 2.5". You have more options with mufflers and resonators going 2.5". IDK what your stock exhaust size is but it isnt 2.5".

The size of exhaust tubing does make a diffrence in sound though.

However if your factory exhaust is in good condition and all you want is a better look and sound and your not after power or flow then you can go with just a resonator and muffler.

And an ebay cat or "test pipe" will make your car sound like shit. I have a Megan 4-2-1 Stainless header, Stainless test pipe and an Ebay catback with ebay muffler and ebay resonator. Its loud as hell. Not only that but fireballs coming out the exhaust gets me pulled over every once in a while.

Comment

If you're looking for something cheap, you could always go with the cherry bomb turbo muffler. I heard it sounds pretty much just a little deeper, but very close to OEM.

Comment

1.75 IIRC is stock piping.

Aslong as you are going to use your cat run a longer&better res with a decent muffler then i'd say go for it. But if not you can always run a collector if the muffler you choose is bigger than OEM (Which most are).

Turbo muffler's usually are raspy, spend $45 and get a Full Boar.

02 Crv
                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
                  If you're looking for something cheap, you could always go with the cherry bomb turbo muffler. I heard it sounds pretty much just a little deeper, but very close to OEM.
                  I had a friend with those on his 89 Ranger 5 Speed with the 2.9L V6. After a while the packing came out but it sounded good. Loud as hell though.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    I had a friend with those on his 89 Ranger 5 Speed with the 2.9L V6. After a while the packing came out but it sounded good. Loud as hell though.
                    Really? I've heard that it's actually very quiet or at least on a cb7. My mistake .

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post

Aslong as you are going to use your cat run a longer&better res with a decent muffler then i'd say go for it. But if not you can always run a collector if the muffler you choose is bigger than OEM (Which most are).

Your right about the reducer. I just don’t like them. Makes me feel like I’m doing a haggard ass job. But it doesn't make in difference in the quality of work most of them time. I still don’t like them though. I guess that’s personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
                        Really? I've heard that it's actually very quiet or at least on a cb7. My mistake .
                        It might be, Ive never heard a CB with one. But Id imagine it would be pretty raspy even it was quiet. A V6's rasp sounds better than a I4's IMO. Ive only heard them on a V6.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post

After your first post I looked into flowmaster, but I never heard of Full Boar . Do they even make good mufflers compatible with 1.75" piping? So I'm pretty much doomed to using a "collector"? What a collector does is an add on to match the inlet, but it has a different outlet for the muffler?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPIt-eoT3w
                            http://www.jonesexhaust.com/products.cfm?ProductTOC=5

It reduces down from whatever the inlet of the muffler is to your pipe size, it makes for a cleaner weld also.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by thestockcb7 View Post
                              After your first post I looked into flowmaster, but I never heard of Full Boar . Do they even make good mufflers compatible with 1.75" piping? So I'm pretty much doomed to using a "collector"? What a collector does is an add on to match the inlet, but it has a different outlet for the muffler?
                              Im not finding any 1.75" to 2.5" reducers. Closest thing I found is this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cone-2-5-to-...item4abd4915cb

Your local parts store might have that reducer. Youll need a 1.75" clamp and a 2.5" clamp aswell. Also unless you want your muffler bouncing around youll need to find a way to use the hangers. Cut your old ones off your old muffler and weld them onto your new muffler is the easiest thing I can think of. Its alot more work and you run the risk of burning a hole in your new muffler. But it can be done.

Comment

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate every second that is spent into helping me! Hmm, seems like if I cannot find the reducer, I'd just have to save up and go with your ebay cat system @H311RA151N because it'd also make things a lot easier. So what you did was buy the ebay cat, but instead of using the muffler they give you, you replaced that with an OBX to make it sound as good as it does now?

Comment

Working...
                                X