Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Where do I start with the whole exhaust system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start with the whole exhaust system?

I don't know where to start , what I'm looking for is to replace what I have which is completely stock in the "exhaust" department and make my car a little louder than stock. I've tried to read around and understand what everything is, and what I'm getting is I don't necessarily need a "Cat-Back" system unless I want performance, but I need to replace my muffler just to make my car sound different and get a resonator to make it quiet. Is this correct? Also do these parts have to be the same brand in order to be compatible with eachother? I was planning to get a magnaflow muffler, but an OBX resonator. Thanks, sorry I'm a complete n00b!
    Last edited by thestockcb7; 11-24-2012, 01:27 AM.

Originally posted by thestockcb7 View Post
    I don't know where to start , what I'm looking for is to replace what I have which is completely stock in the "exhaust" department and make my car a little louder than stock. I've tried to read around and understand what everything is, and what I'm getting is I don't necessarily need a "Cat-Back" system unless I want performance, but I need to replace my muffler just to make my car sound different and get a resonator to make it quiet. Is this correct? Also do these parts have to be compatible? I was planning to get a magnaflow muffler, and an OBX resonator. Thanks, sorry I'm a complete n00b!
    If you're just going for sound then yeah an axelback will work. Honestly, I've never seen the point in just getting a muffler without a whole system but that's my opinion. I've read it won't sound as good. The systems that are recommended mostly I've seen are the Apexi WS2 and the Greddy SP2. There's another that I can't remember.

If by compatible you're asking if they have to be the same brand then no, as long as the pipe diameter of the silencer matches with your stock piping you'll be ok. If money is an issue, you can always go to a shop. I got custom piping, with a dual chamber Magnaflow muffler installed for about 330.

By the way, you can't always go off of what other peoples exhaust sounds like. If they have a full system, high flow catalytic converter, header and other work done it'll sound different.

The Facebook group

Comment

I don't know where to start , what I'm looking for is to replace what I have which is completely stock in the "exhaust" department and make my car a little louder than stock. I've tried to read around and understand what everything is, and what I'm getting is I don't necessarily need a "Cat-Back" system unless I want performance, but I need to replace my muffler just to make my car sound different and get a resonator to make it quiet. Is this correct? Also do these parts have to be the same brand in order to be compatible with eachother? I was planning to get a magnaflow muffler, but an OBX resonator. Thanks, sorry I'm a complete n00b!
      I recommend Megan Racing all the way though. Also note pipe size can make or break sound as well. My last Accord, I had a 2.25 and increased it's size to 2.5 in exhaust and got a nice tone with the muffler I have (refer to MRT 92 EX coupe for brand). It all depends on what it is you want.
      The CB7 Collector.
      Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
      92 LX Coupe F22A1
      2013 Toyota Corolla S
      92 EX Sedan F22A1
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

the holy grail for exhausts specifically made for our cars is the RSR EX-Mag, but since you won't find that anywhere since they've been discontinued and out of business, your next best choice for a high quality exhaust would be the Apexi WS2.

I've currently got one of those on my CB Coupe and it sounds great. No raspiness like you get from cheaper Megans/Greddys

But you'll have to pay if you want it, its about 630 shipped....that's the lowest I could find it new.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Money is definitely a problem here, Is there any cheaper decent exhaust options? & I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correct, so I could just replace my muffler and add a resonator and use all the stock cb piping as long as the inlet is the same? Is the stock cat decent enough?

Comment

Welcome to the forum, it is highly recommended that you start out reading the rules and stickies. After reading the stickies find the thread on how to use the search. After that I recommend you learning a bit about how the exhaust system works.

If your car is bone stock, you will lose performance and MPG if you deviate from OEM. To just do it for looks/sound is a silly reason IMHO. Also I believe you may be trying to be spoon fed the information. No we can't tell you what you want and where to get it cheaper. Search and you will find.

Comment

Money is definitely a problem here, Is there any cheaper decent exhaust options? & I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correct, so I could just replace my muffler and add a resonator and use all the stock cb piping as long as the inlet is the same? Is the stock cat decent enough?
              I always see this kind of thread and people always say spend $600+ on a WS2. Every time. Thats fine if someone wants to spend that much but most dont want to.

Your absolute best option if you dont want to spend more on an exhaust system than you likely paid for your car is to buy a cheap ebay generic stainless catback, the resonator you want and the muffler you want, take it to an exhaust shop and have it done. You get about the cheapest price with the most options.

Catback $105
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-PATH-...a51b87&vxp=mtr

Resonator $40
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-18-0-Uni...b0b256&vxp=mtr

Large Selection of OBX Mufflers $60-$80
              http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Labor $75-$100

Total $280-$325

Comment

If you just want to replace the muffler, you're looking for an "axleback".
                If the sound and look is all that matters to you, then that will work just fine. Retain stock piping up until just before the muffler. You may need to find a muffler shop to weld a flange on, though.

Another option is to simply go to a muffler shop and tell them you want a sport muffler on your car. They'll slap a generic one on there, and it'll be fairly inexpensive. Probably the same stuff you'll find on ebay.

Inexpensive mufflers are hit or miss. Some sound fantastic (like my muffler shop special... I love it), and some sound raspy and crappy... like someone filled a coffee can with bees and marbles, and stuck it on your car.
                Paying for a more expensive muffler, or better yet, a full quality catback, will make it much more likely that you'll get the exact sound you're looking for.

Also, Kai... RS*R is still very much in business. Their website seems to only show their new Ran*Up oil additive, which both intrigues and confuses me... though they do still show images of exhausts and suspension components.
                Anyway, here's an Ex-Mag for sale for our cars:
                http://www.raceinspired.com/p-2286-r...1990-1993.aspx
                I don't know that shop, but they have the Ex-Mag for sale, and the price is fairly reasonable, IMO.

Comment

@wildBill83, to get away from just looks and start performance wise, would a stock F22A1 be sufficient, but put in a header and a CAI?

@H311RA151N, Thanks a lot for the set up! It's exactly what I was looking for. Would you by chance know if this set up is loud? I just want it noticeably different from stock and I don't want to get pulled over by the police every minute .

@deevergote Thanks, I will probably not go the generic muffler route from the shop because the shops around here are a bit ghetto . Also, thanks for the Ex-Mag link, I'm now at a cross between @H311RA151N's setup, or saving for the Ex-Mag because the sound clips are just amazing, but I know it differentiates with different systems.

Comment

Try a Full Boar or Flowmaster 40 (Both are the same design) if you are just looking for tone. They are a 2 chamber design and sound good on about anything even 4cyl's with a cat and res in place ofcourse.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

@wildBill83, to get away from just looks and start performance wise, would a stock F22A1 be sufficient, but put in a header and a CAI?

@H311RA151N, Thanks a lot for the set up! It's exactly what I was looking for. Would you by chance know if this set up is loud? I just want it noticeably different from stock and I don't want to get pulled over by the police every minute .

@deevergote Thanks, I will probably not go the generic muffler route from the shop because the shops around here are a bit ghetto . Also, thanks for the Ex-Mag link, I'm now at a cross between @H311RA151N's setup, or saving for the Ex-Mag because the sound clips are just amazing, but I know it differentiates with different systems.
                      Here is the sound clip of mine. Video quality is shit but the sound is spot on.

I have an ebay catback, OBX resonator and an OBX WS2 muffler. Ive had it since June and my gf has put 8k miles on it since then. No problems, no sound change and its still as shiny as the day I bought it.

Here is a pic.

When people are spending money on an Apexi WS2 or whatever, some of the high price is just for the name. IMO an Apexi WS2 is worth $400-$450. Its pipe, a resonator, a few flanges and a muffler. Not that much work or research went into making it to make it worth $600.

BTW I’m not cheap. I’ve spent more on my CBs in the past 6 months than some people on here make in a year. But I’ve spent my money wisely. Not wasting it on big name companies for prestige. Again, this is my opinion.

Comment

I do agree that the WS2 is overpriced... and it's quite restrictive.
                        The piping is also mild steel, so it rusts.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                          Try a Full Boar or Flowmaster 40 (Both are the same design) if you are just looking for tone. They are a 2 chamber design and sound good on about anything even 4cyl's with a cat and res in place ofcourse.
                          That is a choice and to me it sounds like a good one. A Flowmaster 40 would look cool aswell. Kinda sleeperish.

Ive also thought about trying the Vibrant StreetPower Muffler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-1148...19c56b&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            I do agree that the WS2 is overpriced... and it's quite restrictive.
                            The piping is also mild steel, so it rusts.
                            IIRC a few years ago they were $475. If they were that price now I’d have one on each of my CBs. I do like the look, I’m sure I wouldn’t have to bend heat shields when I install one and the quality is good. The mild steel is a downside though.

Comment

Yeah, for the price, I'd expect a full stainless system. They ARE well made otherwise, and the sound is great... but your OBX knockoff is probably pretty close in sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X