Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad engine knock

i recently had the head rebuilt and car was running fine
    then i started hearing a slight knocking sound every time the car switched from 2nd to 3rd.
    the knocking has gotten worse now its loud while the car is idling so i stopped driving it .
    IDK if its something in the head or if the pistons are knocking ??
    Any help is appreciated
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vaG5otJKqE
    Last edited by CISCOKID; 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM.

It sounds bad. I think the sound is from crank case, like rods or pistons.
    I would remove oil filter and cut it open to see if there's metal flakes on element.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Youtube is being stupid for me and not loading the video...

The first thing to do is make sure your spark plugs are all secure. Touch the top of the plug wires and see if you can feel the knock though one of them. If that's the case, you may have a damaged plug, or one of the plugs could be backing out. I've had that issue due to damaged sparkplug threads in my head, and it made a terrible knocking. I put the plug back in securely, and it was fine again. That's the simplest thing to check, so start there.

If the plugs seem fine, then take a long screwdriver (or better yet, and engine stethoscope), and listen to the engine at different points. At the head near each spark plug, then at the header, then down on the block. If there's a knock inside, you'll be able to get a better idea where it's coming from by doing that.

If it's a rod knock then it'll obviously be in the bottom end. That will require the bottom end to be torn down to replace the damaged rod (and at that point, a full bottom end rebuild would be wise.) If it's in the head, it may be severe detonation (which means your new head might be damaged already.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Youtube is being stupid for me and not loading the video...

The first thing to do is make sure your spark plugs are all secure. Touch the top of the plug wires and see if you can feel the knock though one of them. If that's the case, you may have a damaged plug, or one of the plugs could be backing out. I've had that issue due to damaged sparkplug threads in my head, and it made a terrible knocking. I put the plug back in securely, and it was fine again. That's the simplest thing to check, so start there.

If the plugs seem fine, then take a long screwdriver (or better yet, and engine stethoscope), and listen to the engine at different points. At the head near each spark plug, then at the header, then down on the block. If there's a knock inside, you'll be able to get a better idea where it's coming from by doing that.

If it's a rod knock then it'll obviously be in the bottom end. That will require the bottom end to be torn down to replace the damaged rod (and at that point, a full bottom end rebuild would be wise.) If it's in the head, it may be severe detonation (which means your new head might be damaged already.)
        Thanks, this helps alot
        im going to lift the car up today and check out the oil hopefully i didnt tear up the head after all that money i put into it -__-

Comment

Check for a hole in the exhaust. It could be extremely maladjusted valves that are just really noisy. To me it kind of sounds like it could be that and/or a hole in the exhaust. Smell any fumes in the engine bay?

Did you adjust the valves when you replaced it?
          Last edited by Mishakol129; 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM.
          “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
          ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
            Check for a hole in the exhaust. It could be extremely maladjusted valves that are just really noisy. To me it kind of sounds like it could be that and/or a hole in the exhaust. Smell any fumes in the engine bay?

Did you adjust the valves when you replaced it?

I dont think its the exhaust i don't smell any fumes, and yes the mechanic that had put the head in torqued everything down and adjusted the valves.
            he told me to take it easy and change the oil after 500 miles
            but the cars barely at 400 since then and its knocking like this. it ran good for maybe two weeks, then it started running like it lost hp and thats when the knock started.

Comment

Originally posted by CISCOKID View Post
              I dont think its the exhaust i don't smell any fumes, and yes the mechanic that had put the head in torqued everything down and adjusted the valves.
              he told me to take it easy and change the oil after 500 miles
              but the cars barely at 400 since then and its knocking like this. it ran good for maybe two weeks, then it started running like it lost hp and thats when the knock started.
              Go back to the mechanic and say WTF?!?!

Also a good note you just posted, it lost HP with the knock, so could be valve train or crank related... I'm just saying ...

Comment

I personally would just save up for a swap if your performance oriented rather than another used motor especially an f22 with crazy miles on it.

Comment

Ooo, that sounds terrible, its worse then mine at the moment. It might be worth it for you to have your mechanic take a look at it again, as I suspect it may be under some kind of warranty, especially since its been less then 400 miles. At least see if he covers his work for a certain amount of miles. (I would suspect that he would, since word or mouth does a lot for a business like that) :\

Just pray that the guy got everything meshed up correctly so you don't have any bent valves. THAT could be a time consuming fix.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                    I personally would just save up for a swap if your performance oriented rather than another used motor especially an f22 with crazy miles on it.
                    It could be minor, and he already has money sunk into a rebuilt head. It'd be dumb to rip it all out without even identifying the problem.

If it IS a serious issue, then yes... a swap might be worthwhile.

Comment

i wanted to do a swap but i ended up replacing alot of parts when i got the head serviced, new piston rings, bearings, water pump, etc..
                      im hoping the head didnt get damaged cause i could get a clean block for cheap. if the head is done then i might just park the car and save up for a h22 swap
                      i miss this car though, im hoping that it is something minor.
                      thanks for the input guys
                      this site really helps out

Comment

Its not really about how clean the block is but the mileage and the condition of it if that last person took care of it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                          Its not really about how clean the block is but the mileage and the condition of it if that last person took care of it or not.
                          thats what i meant by clean, its in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by CISCOKID View Post
                            i wanted to do a swap but i ended up replacing alot of parts when i got the head serviced, new piston rings, bearings, water pump, etc..
                            im hoping the head didnt get damaged cause i could get a clean block for cheap. if the head is done then i might just park the car and save up for a h22 swap
                            i miss this car though, im hoping that it is something minor.
                            thanks for the input guys
                            this site really helps out
                            You had the piston rings replaced as well?
                            That involves stripping the bottom end, and if that was done I imagine they would have fitted new bearings, so rod knock would be unlikely (but still possible)

Take the car back, and get them to check it out.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

New Bearings + Sloppy Job = Major Failure
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X