Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont start

i started a thread last week about my fuel pump dying, i replaced it and my car still doesnt run,
    I was driving and it just died ,didnt sputter or lose power before hand it just died
    I can hear my main relay clicking ,

Originally posted by cb7_wagon View Post
    i started a thread last week about my fuel pump dying, i replaced it and my car still doesnt run,
    I was driving and it just died ,didnt sputter or lose power before hand it just died
    I can hear my main relay clicking ,
    Then perhaps you should check into the main relay, just a thought.

Comment

Have you confirmed that the cause is a lack of fuel, and not a lack of spark? Since you're making a new thread to discuss the problem you talked about in the old thread, you're going to need to repeat yourself in this one, so we know what all your symptoms are. Nobody is going to remember your old thread, and few are going to take the time to look it up.

And by "hear the main relay clicking" I assume you mean that as confirmation that it works, correct?

Comment

it didnt give me any signs that it was about to die, it was like someone flicked a switch, which tells me it is an electrical problem,all my fuses are fine,how do i tell if my main relay is good?

Comment

If it's been hot in your area then it is a good chance it could be the relay. Unfortunately it's a pain in the balls to get to. If you can get it out and check it look to see if any of the solder joints have detached. That will be the easiest thing to spot. Otherwise you can check some local junkyards, not sure of the price because they normally don't charge me for them. (Not my fault they don't say anything after looking in my toolbag, I assume they're free)

Comment

my main relay did have the famous cracked solder joints which i repaired
            and it still doesnt start

Comment

im thinking the ignitor is dead

Comment

Check for spark, if there is no spark then you won't start. If you have spark then check to verify the fuel is getting there.

Comment

i confirmed no spark last night so im going to look into the ignitor
                  update I tested all the wires going into the coil and they are all hot, would that mean that the coil is bad?
                  Last edited by cb7_wagon; 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Get you a test light and you can check the ignitor and the coil. They are about $8 - $18 Take the cap, rotor, and plastic cover of the distributor. Take your test light and connect it to a ground. Then on the ignitor put the test light lead on the lower screw. Crank the motor and the llight should blink. IF not the ignitor is bad. If not you need to check the coil. The srping that connects to the cap is your next test point. Put the test light probe close to that spring while cranking the motor and a spark should jump the gap. I added the link to Eric The Car Guy where hea does all the tests. My coil just went out on me last week. The car started to run rough then just died.

Eric The Car Guy
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K78XIhhjAQ

Comment

Wouldn't it be worth the time to check for a CEL?

Comment

Originally posted by silver91 View Post
                        Wouldn't it be worth the time to check for a CEL?
                        Well he would know if he had CEL because it would be lit. He hasn't mentioned it being lit so its probably not throwing code.

I would check the ICM for sure. Mine did this exact same shit, just died out the blue a couple of times. Ended up being the ICM. Luckily that is very easy to replace (hopefully that is indeed your problem).

Comment

Can we get some more info such as

Does is crank at all ? Does the starter engage ?

It does not run , is very very vague .

Example, (this just happened to me with my 90)

Car just died on me ,
                          It would crank up and run for a split second and then just die . every time cranks fine but .. and here is the important part that matters in details , When i released my hand on the key .. bam it died .

Cause: Ignition switch

NOT saying its the ignition switch just an example , need more info

Comment

Originally posted by SerpentDrago View Post
                            Cause: Ignition switch
                            Yeah I forgot about that. Could definitely be the ignition switch as well.

If so that too is fairly easy to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                              Yeah I forgot about that. Could definitely be the ignition switch as well.

If so that too is fairly easy to replace.
                              Very very easy to replace , 10min job 1philps screwdriver (short one as there is a screw thats a bit hard to get to )

Comment

Working...
                              X