Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Using 4 jacks safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turbo617 View Post
    If you ever decide to use a jack, put the tire(s) underneath your car. friend of mine was doing a brake job, his Jack decided to lower the car on it's own. it landed right on the tire. if it didn't my friends legs would've been toast.

Never trust a factory Jack, only use it for it's intended purpose or if your car is lowered and you need it to raise the car to put the jack on it.

( I know it's common knowledge but it's just a friendly reminder. )
    hey that's a good idea to put the tire underneath the car. Not only only will it keep the car from going all the way to the ground should the jack fail but it also gets the tire out of the way so people don't trip on it.

Comment

not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.

My eyes opened extra wide and I froze when I seen my car just drop and heard my friend on the other side yelling " oh fuck! " My instant thought was my rotors and stuff was done for... then I walked over, seen the car resting on the tire and my friend whos legs was an inch or two away from being touched by the car.

I'm such a bad friend... but then again he Caused me to have no brakes that day.

Comment

not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.

My eyes opened extra wide and I froze when I seen my car just drop and heard my friend on the other side yelling " oh fuck! " My instant thought was my rotors and stuff was done for... then I walked over, seen the car resting on the tire and my friend whos legs was an inch or two away from being touched by the car.

I'm such a bad friend... but then again he Caused me to have no brakes that day.
        i'm for reals.

Comment

yeah my father taught me the tire under the vehicle trick. about a year ago I was changing front brakes on my ram 1500. my oldest nephew was helping me and I explain why you put a tire under the vehicle. he had his head in the fender well wow I explained brake calipers to him. as he was pulling his head out from under there I had to crank on the ratchet pretty hard. the truck started to rock and the jack fell. luckly I was running 16x10 wheels and 33's. the truck fell on the wheel and scared the crap out of my nephew and myself. I probably would've killed myself if I killed my nephew.

Comment

If you ever decide to use a jack, put the tire(s) underneath your car.
            Just make sure you have it lined up to where if it does fall, it doesn't screw up the rim in the process. I'm sure some of you with nice bronze rims (or whatever finish they are) wouldn't want a scuff because you were too cheap to buy a $20 pair of jackstands from sears.

Comment

That would be absolutely one of the worst ways to die... to be slowly crushed by 2800+ pounds. I cringe just thinking about it.

Comment

I was under a dodge intrepid wit one jack and it slipped and car fell on me breaking 9 bones
                MRTvvv
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

Originally posted by 92a6 View Post
                  I was under a dodge intrepid wit one jack and it slipped and car fell on me breaking 9 bones
                  That sounds crazy. I'm happy you're still here man.

Comment

I've got a pic but its kinda bad. I don't get under cars unless it's on a lift that's just me tho
                    MRTvvv
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

My Grandpa always did and still does drill me about proper safety while working on cars. For good reason too. Quite a long time ago He was working with a Co-worker, prepping a part on the worktable for installation, when the jack failed and the car fell on the co worker. By the time they got him out it was too late.

Even with jack stands I always put a tire just in case.

Comment

yea dont do it, my dad thought the same thing.....i was putting the wheel back on the car with my legs under it and almost got my feet chopped off..... the car fell towards me but i had time to move out of the way
                        (my dad's a cheapass so he thought he could get away with lifting a car with a one tone jack and leaving it lifted without putting any stands)
                        Last edited by StocK-CB; 08-18-2012, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Jacks are there to lift the car not to provide safety,thats where the jack stands come in to play. I would still use the tires too for added insurance at the corners just incase if all else fails you still have enough time to bail is things go south.

I use jack stands more and more especially on my car due to its heavy weight and when its on an aluminum jack dont screw around and lose your life being unsafe.

Comment

i had a 94 legacy turbo wagon fall on my legs, the rear rotor cut my thigh open pretty good. not to mention bruised me for weeks. dumb mistake. always use jackstands.

Comment

Working...
                            X