Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Reasons for intake manifold gasket fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for intake manifold gasket fail?

Anyone know why I have to replace my intake manifold gasket once a year? I don't have the time or tools to do this myself, and I have a mechanic that does it for about $250 which I don't think is too bad - so I have a mechanic do it. Aside from it possibly being the mechanic doing a crappy job, can anyone think of a reason why my manifold gasket is so prone to cracking and causing a vacuum leak/erratic idle?

ps - I've become somewhat of a pro diagnosing the infamous erratic idle, so please don't suggest other possibilities for my erratic idle dilemma. I know its the intake manifold gasket.

91 EX, body/chassis ~235,000; rebuilt f22a6 crate engine ~65,000 (3/2011)
    Neuspeed Super Cup Kit (7/2010)
    TAS rear drum-to-disc conversion (6/2010)
    Above photo taken - 4/2010

For $250/year I'd say that it would behoove you to learn how to replace this gasket. It shouldn't be done once a year. It's not even a wear item. People go 300,000k+ miles without ever needing to replace it. Something else is likely causing it to fail like a nick in the mating surface or he's using RTV somewhere he shouldn't. It's not a difficult job and most everyone has the time, whether they think they do or not.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      For $250/year I'd say that it would behoove you to learn how to replace this gasket. It shouldn't be done once a year. It's not even a wear item. People go 300,000k+ miles without ever needing to replace it. Something else is likely causing it to fail like a nick in the mating surface or he's using RTV somewhere he shouldn't. It's not a difficult job and most everyone has the time, whether they think they do or not.
      How do you get at the bolts at the left side of the manifold (if looking at the engine from the front of the car)? I know how to get at all the bolts, top and bottom on the right side, but I can't get at the bolts on the left from above or below the car... I have a MT (if this makes a difference).

Comment

The nuts are there, just use a variety of extensions or swivel sockets to get to the tight spaces. You will also benefit from removing the thermostat housing first. It sits to the left of the EGR valve and looks like this:

(taken from Cisco's for sale thread)

Otherwise here are two pictures to show you where the nuts are on the flange.

My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

yea there is probably a nick in the intake/head mating surface and is causing it to leak once it wiggles a little bit from vibration. when he takes it off have him not put it back on until you look at it, because they probably wont even pay attention. Its really not a hard job to do. Just take the whole intake apart as you go, and clean it if it has some blow-by. a full intake gasket set is only about 50$ from felpro(most places carry) and a basic tool set should do it. basically all you would need is a 3/8 ratchet, 12mm deep well a few different size extensions and a end-wrench 12

Comment

Thanks guys! Two questions:
            1) Are you guys able to do all the work from above or do you find it necessary to get under the car to tighten/loosen, etc.?

2) Any suggested methods to hold the intake manifold in place once removed, while the gasket is being fit?

Comment

You will have to remove the intake manifold in order to scrape off whatever is left of the gasket. Unfortunately. I did this to mine when i switched out my intake manifold to the F22A6 manifold.

You should invest in a Bisimoto Heat shield intake manifold gasket when you do change it, you will love the benefits

Rip It Up
              Sold to: nightime25, MyDianaz06, Accord214 and 408cb7

Bought from:Rob_is_Legend, MonoCB7, Fatboy1185, Flatline and busak87

i vouch for my Brothas

Comment

You will need to have access underneath the intake manifold. In addition to the fasteners I showed you in the pictures there is also a brace underneath the intake manifold that supports some of the weight. There's a bolt there are well.

Comment

Working...
                X