Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont start

ok so, my car has power when i turn the key, the radio comes on the lights work, but when i go to start the engine nothing happens, no clicking, nothing, but i still have power. i've even tried jumping it, but it didn't do anything. i am able to push start it, since it is a manual, but as soon as i turn the key off i'm stuck in the same situation. even after driving the car for half an hour driving home from work. didn't think to check the alternator when i got home by disconnecting a battery terminal. now the car just sits in the yard not going anywhere.

i've cleaned my grounds and terminals on the battery, still having no effect. so that leaves me to believe my starter has gone bad or my spark plugs? i can't test the alternator unless i can get someone help to push, but i don't think the alternator would cause it not to start.

i don't know how to change the starter or alternator and i've never taken the spark plugs out of the car before.

Plugs and alternator would not be the problem if you can keep it running after a push start.

Normally, I'd say the issue was the battery connections, since I've had a situation very similar to yours... but you've already addressed that.

That makes me think the starter. You can remove it fairly easily and take it to get tested, or you can just buy a new one and rest easy that it'll probably never go bad again for the rest of the time you own the car.

Comment

1) Remove small lead off of starter motor.
      2) Make sure transmission is in neutral position.
      3) Leave ignition switch in off position.
      4) Take a short test lead and supply battery voltage to the terminal now vacated by (1).
      5) If the starter motor cranks, the starter motor is more than likely OK.

More ideas to follow but let's see if you can perform above first.
      A&P-IA

Comment

I always did that test with the starter off the car. I hate the idea of it starting with me right there... It's 2 bolts, and 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I always did that test with the starter off the car. I hate the idea of it starting with me right there... It's 2 bolts, and 5 minutes.
          Safety first, Plus if it's bad you already have a head start on replacing it.

Comment

Well... I didn't exactly do it safely... I held the starter on my livingroom floor with a pair of vise grips while my friend touched wires to it.

But yes, it's safer to test the starter with a jumper pack while the starter is held securely in a bench vise. Or, just take the damn thing to an autoparts store and have them test it for free. If it's bad, you're 2 steps ahead in buying a new one... and you have your core on hand! (I just discovered my last starter in a box in my dining room... I forgot to get my core charge back!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Well... I didn't exactly do it safely... I held the starter on my livingroom floor with a pair of vise grips while my friend touched wires to it.

But yes, it's safer to test the starter with a jumper pack while the starter is held securely in a bench vise. Or, just take the damn thing to an autoparts store and have them test it for free. If it's bad, you're 2 steps ahead in buying a new one... and you have your core on hand! (I just discovered my last starter in a box in my dining room... I forgot to get my core charge back!)
              Sounds like it had potential to get a good amount of youtube hits.

OP: Another thing you may want to check is to make sure all your grounds are properly making contact. I never gave the grounds too much credit until my buddies Civic wouldn't start because a ground was accidently left disconnected.

Comment

i really checked in to my grounds, but im going to try some of the above steps. also found a little more information on what the problem could be, so i really hope it works. thanks guys!

Comment

See step #3. Ignition switch in off position. If the engine starts, you have bigger problem!!

If the starter is bad, having it off from the car and testing will be a few steps ahead. But, if the starter is good, you are few steps behind. Testing the starter with a test lead is essentially one step in one direction to know if the starter is good or not.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

started raining so im on hold for now

Comment

Ok.

Comment

A starter may look tiny all by its self but trust me a couple seconds with one on with the engine in gear will move your car. Is it good for it? No. Can the car still run you over even if it is turned off yes. I'm not lazy, I took mine out of the car to be safe too.
                        My work in progress!

Comment

OMG. So, I'm the one who is crazy.
                          See #2.

Do whatcha gotta do. I don't care any more.

By leaving the starter motor on the engine, I was going to give some more idea on how to troubleshoot the starting system. Like measuring cranking voltage, check for connection on A+ cable, check for grounds and some other stuff.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

For the stupid stuff that goes on within this community, I'd rather give advice that wouldn't result in someone running themselves over if they do something stupid, even if there's some time to be saved.

Comment

Follow steps above while having a second person in driver's seat, holding parking brake lever in up position firmly while both feet on the brake pedal pressing hard downward. Also for extra safety, have both front wheels off the ground with hydraulic jacks lifting the car and jack stands supporting the chassis just in case a hydraulic jack fails.

And more importantly stand on the side of the car, your feet clear from falling wheels, while you are testing the starter motor because it is easier to gain access to the battery post and small terminal on the starter motor at the same time.

Never put yourself between the car you are working on and solid objects, such as garage wall, tree stumps and such.

Wear steel toe shoes, face shield, ear muffs, nomex suits and nomex gloves. Keep fire bottles handy, just in case.

Take my advice at your own risk. If I missed something and/or you get hurt due to my advice, I'm sorry. But, don't sue me or this forum and its members. It's your fault and I don't have money to pay for your damage.
                              Last edited by oyajicool; 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM.
                              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                              X