Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New O2 Sensor - Clicking Behind Dash/Instrument Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New O2 Sensor - Clicking Behind Dash/Instrument Panel

Good Afternoon,

I just finished putting a new Denso Oxygen Sensor into my 92 Accord EX Sedan. I followed the steps laid out in my Haynes Repair manual.

After reconnecting the negative battery terminal I went for a test drive to see if the CEL would stay off. To my dismay it did not, and I am still pulling a 01 (Oxygen Content) code.

On top of that, there is now a regular clicking noise coming from behind my instrument panel. The noise only happens when I am driving but not while I am at rest (such as a stop light) with the engine running. My first guess would be that the new O2 sensor is functioning, but it is still staying in "open loop mode".

The clicking is disconcerting to me because of some horror stories I've heard from my mechanic regarding bad O2 sensors burning out the computer. (My mechanic actually refused to put in anything less than an OEM sensor because this happened to him and he ended up having to buy a new computer for one of his clients vehicles)

Any thoughts, experience, or anecdotes are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

I really don't think the new sensor has anything to do with clicking behind of instrument panel. To be certain, put your old one back and see if the sound would go away.

As for non OEM O2 sensor frying the ECU, it's a first for me to hear. I really don't know how that could happen unless the power was on during replacement of the sensor. Even this is only happening in my head. That ECU was about to fail if you ask me and his customer talked mechanic to buy new one since he didn't have anything to explain why it happened.

But then, what do I know?

There's a thread on how to check the O2 sensor, on this forum. Look for it.
    A&P-IA

Comment

It sounds like it could be your main relay that is clicking. When it's clicking look directly above where the clutch pedal is and there is a grey box and see if that's what's clicking. Also on you o2 sensor check the plug and make sure the wires are in there good. I was getting a o2 code and it ended up being a lose wire in the plug.

Comment

OMG.

If if was main relay that is clicking, it will be clicking all the time while engine is running or ignition switch is on. Or engine may not be running at all since it supply power to fuel pump and ECU. Since the sound is not there with car idling at stop. You can rule out the main relay for clicking sound.

I was almost going to say the sound is from the speedometer. But Accords' don't come with mechanical speedometer. So, I didn't say that.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Most likely your wiring is loose or some thing.

I don't know about your mechanic, obviously he does not know any thing about Japanese imports. What good is a mechanic if he can't put in an O2 sensor? What good is your mechanic if he does not know that most Japanese imports use either Denso or NGK/NTK. I would look for another mechanic with more experience and confident in his/her work. Just an advice. Check and follow the lead of the O2 sensor, make sure it's not touching the heat shield that could melt the insulation and short the wires inside.
          Good luck.

Comment

well my friend, to know if your O2 works perfect, you can check with a multimeter and the signal has to switch between .700 and .200,but to make sure, check the wires,

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into wiring and check my grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                To be certain, put your old one back and see if the sound would go away.
                You must try it

Comment

just unplug the socket, but you spend more fuel,

i had a problem with the o2, the car lose the power, and no codes recorder, thats why i unplug the o2 and the car works ok, i just remplace for other o2,,

good luck my friend,,

Comment

Working...
                  X