Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Newbie: Best type of suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: Best type of suspension

So I'm looking forward to buying full suspension for my cb7 but I'm not sure which one should I get. I've look around and so far I found two that got my attention. It's Megan Racing EZ Street series and Tein street basis. Need opinions on which is better or you can throw in other suspensions that you think is better. Budget $800-$900. Any help is appreciated.

Tein basics are excellent! If you can save just a little more grab the super streets!

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/..._systems/tein/
    To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Koni/Neuspeed Sport Cup Kit, and you would still have money for camber kits. H&R Springs are also a good match for Koni Yellows. Arguably the best two setups, next to ground control sleeves on koni yellows. There's several other good brands, you should head over to the suspension section and read the stickies at the top.
      Last edited by cloudasc; 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM. Reason: dam my phone H&4 lol
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
        Koni/Neuspeed Sport Cup Kit, and you would still have money for camber kits. H&4 Springs are also a good match for Koni Yellows. Arguably the best two setups, next to ground control sleeves on koni yellows. There's several other good brands, you should head over to the suspension section and read the stickies at the top.
        This.

Tein Basics are ok for a car that will see no real competitive driving. If you want performance, there are better options. In fact, there are better options than Tein altogether. They're not great (though in terms of "full coilovers", I'd take Tein over most anything else... we have crap for options.)
        And stay away from Andy's AutoSport... horrible, horrible company.

I suggest you read the "sticky" section of the suspension forum on this site. You'll learn a lot, and you'll be able to decide for yourself what is best for your particular needs.

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7 View Post
          Tein basics are excellent! If you can save just a little more grab the super streets!

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/..._systems/tein/
          Thanks for the advice but yeah i would so grab those super streets one but then I'ma be a freshman in college and i going need as much money to pay for my college stuff and I ain't got no job yet. So i might just have to stick with the basics lol thanks a lot though

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
          Koni/Neuspeed Sport Cup Kit, and you would still have money for camber kits. H&R Springs are also a good match for Koni Yellows. Arguably the best two setups, next to ground control sleeves on koni yellows. There's several other good brands, you should head over to the suspension section and read the stickies at the top.
          Yeah I was looking toward to buying those set ups after i did some reaseach in this forums but then I'm in need of a recon sticker and i heard from couple of my friends is that you will need a full suspension for my car to pass. That's why i changed my mind to getting a full suspension. Thanks for the help though.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          This.

Tein Basics are ok for a car that will see no real competitive driving. If you want performance, there are better options. In fact, there are better options than Tein altogether. They're not great (though in terms of "full coilovers", I'd take Tein over most anything else... we have crap for options.)
          And stay away from Andy's AutoSport... horrible, horrible company.

I suggest you read the "sticky" section of the suspension forum on this site. You'll learn a lot, and you'll be able to decide for yourself what is best for your particular needs.
          Yeah that is true but I mean it's not so often that I race my car. The only time I race is when i go to car cruises or some dumb punk be acting up while I'm driving on the freeway. But anyway I'm a bit confuse about what you said that there are better option than Tein and then all of a sudden you say that you choose Tein over anything. Sorry i didn't mean to disrespect you but I just wanted to clarify some things. But yeah about Andy's AutoSport, any advice where I should purchase my items? Oh yeah thanks for the help.
          Last edited by Jarrett; 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

There are better options than Tein, such as Koni and quality springs, or Koni and Ground Controls. Tein isn't great, but they probably make the best quality full coilover for our cars compared to everything else of that style.

And please don't race on the street. If some "punk be acting up", let him go. If you want to be an idiot and race on public roads, please don't discuss it on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundArtistCB7
              Yeah that is true but I mean it's not so often that I race my car. The only time I race is when i go to car cruises or some dumb punk be acting up while I'm driving on the freeway. But anyway I'm a bit confuse about what you said that there are better option than Tein and then all of a sudden you say that you choose Tein over anything. Sorry i didn't mean to disrespect you but I just wanted to clarify some things. But yeah about Andy's AutoSport, any advice where I should purchase my items? Oh yeah thanks for the help.
              I think what deev is getting at is that a strut/spring combo is a better street combination than a full coilover setup. If he was to go with a full coilover setup he would choose Tein. Otherwise he would stick to the strut/spring combo.

Full coilovers are good if you're experienced in adjusting the coilovers for a certain spec you may want, as for the street enthusiast they're good for slamming a car to the ground so you can teeter totter on speed bumps.

Theres two types of CB7 owners, ones that know its a family car and is relatively slow unless highly modified and ones that don't and need to prove to themselves that you can beat a "punk who be acting up" in his Toyota Tercel. It's not worth the time, risk, and money when something goes wrong. Don't pay the ultimate price. There's tracks with safety crews, use them.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                I think what deev is getting at is that a strut/spring combo is a better street combination than a full coilover setup. If he was to go with a full coilover setup he would choose Tein. Otherwise he would stick to the strut/spring combo.

Full coilovers are good if you're experienced in adjusting the coilovers for a certain spec you may want, as for the street enthusiast they're good for slamming a car to the ground so you can teeter totter on speed bumps.

Theres two types of CB7 owners, ones that know its a family car and is relatively slow unless highly modified and ones that don't and need to prove to themselves that you can beat a "punk who be acting up" in his Toyota Tercel. It's not worth the time, risk, and money when something goes wrong. Don't pay the ultimate price. There's tracks with safety crews, use them.
                Well said

Comment

And IMO I believe there are 3 types of builds...
                  Your suspension would also depend on this..

Full Race
                  Street/Track
                  Daily Driver

As my car is a Daily Driver, winter and all, to me, coilovers are impractical.
                  Struts/Springs is what I went with. And a soft spring too, close to stock.
                  Don`t need a 500 pound spring on a car that picks up grocery`s.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    There are better options than Tein, such as Koni and quality springs, or Koni and Ground Controls. Tein isn't great, but they probably make the best quality full coilover for our cars compared to everything else of that style.

And please don't race on the street. If some "punk be acting up", let him go. If you want to be an idiot and race on public roads, please don't discuss it on this forum.
                    Oh ok now I get it. But alright thanks for the advice and sorry about that.

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post

Alright I got you and yeah that's the whole reason why I wanted to get full coilovers so I can slam it and is still be able to get that smooth ride cause the road here in Hawaii is not so great. Another reason is because I need to get a recon sticker for my car since my college will be in town and the only way it can pass is if I get a full coilovers...I think from what I heard. Do you know anything about recon test if they will pass the spring/strut combination? But yeah that is true I'll keep that mind but the track thing..we ain't got those in Hawaii. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by DanCan View Post
                    And IMO I believe there are 3 types of builds...
                    Your suspension would also depend on this..

Full Race
                    Street/Track
                    Daily Driver

As my car is a Daily Driver, winter and all, to me, coilovers are impractical.
                    Struts/Springs is what I went with. And a soft spring too, close to stock.
                    Don`t need a 500 pound spring on a car that picks up grocery`s.
                    Yeah my car is also Daily Driven. So what do you advice? Cuz I woudn't mind doing the struts/spring combo it's just that i want that smooth ride for my car without squeezing my ass every time I drive on the freeway and I see a messed up road. You know what i mean?

Comment

If you want to slam your car like a ricer, there's no helping the ride. It'll be rough no matter what, and unless you get expensive parts, you'll blow your struts quickly.
                      Koni Yellows H&R Race springs are probably your best bet.

And please learn to use the edit button. If I see 3 posts one after another again, I'm just going to delete them.

Comment

^^ what he said, with one exception, if you wanna go low and be comfortable, there's only one option... airride, and its not cheap.
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Agreed. Not cheap, and heavy as hell. Most air suspensions are not at all performance oriented. Also, everyone I know that has had airride on a CB has blown struts frequently. I wouldn't do that on anything but a show car, personally.

Comment

Working...
                          X