Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Losing brake pedal and sputtering issue 93 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing brake pedal and sputtering issue 93 LX

Hey everybody,

Thanks to some help here I got my starter fixed for $0 and took my car out for a spin today! First time it has run in about 6 months.

First thing I took it for some fresh gas.

A few hundred feet after I took off from the gas station the car sputtered for about 5 seconds, then it picked back up and ran alright.

Is this likely from trash being stirred up in the gas tank from the sloshing caused by adding fuel? Or maybe a mostly clogged fuel filter?

The previous owner had run it out of gas and overheated the starter trying to start it. I know how bad that can be for picking up all the junk in the tank.

Are there measures I should take beyond changing the fuel filter?

Second Issue:

When sitting on a hill I was loosing brake pressure. All the way until the pedal was virtually on the floor.

Then after taking off the pedal would return and work okay.

Still can tell the brakes aren't 100% but I didn't figure they would be perfect right away. But losing pedal is a bit scary.

If you believe that there's crap in the tank, definitely replace the fuel filter. Perhaps even the tank itself. If you've sucked up junk, it could've gotten into your engine and caused damage.

The brake issue is most likely due to a failing master cylinder. Replace it, and bleed the system properly.

Comment

Any chance the master cylinder will soften up and get better with use?

I will replace the fuel filter right away, I don't believe there is necessarily any more crap in the tank than any other.
      But it seems like I have heard that every tank has a good amount of junk in the bottom and it isn't a good idea to run them dry for that reason

Is there a good DIY for the master cylinder? I found a video in the DIY section but it does not load anymore (3 year old thread)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        The brake issue is most likely due to a failing master cylinder. Replace it, and bleed the system properly.
        I'm not 100% confident how the brake system works other than the basics, but could low brake fluid fit the symptoms? I'm thinking that being on a hill with low brake fluid might have starved the master cylinder, causing the pressure loss.

Comment

The brake booster is vacuum operated, so that could be failing as well.
          And if the brake fluid is low, that's another serious problem. It's a closed system, so there should never be any loss of fluid. The level will drop slightly as pads wear, but not dangerously so.

I would replace both the booster and brake master cylinder.

Comment

Hey man i had a similiar problem last summer in my cb. The pedal would start slowly creeping down to the floor. I replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes and 1 year later i can say it doesn't go to the floor. I think i paid like 30 or 40 for the mc from a local auto supply warehouse. The hardest part for me was bleeding the brakes.....never fully got them bled right so when i had it in for inspection they bled them for me.
            I tried to bleed the brakes from the master cylinder but from what i found out after i had the shop bleed them is you need to do each wheel individually.

Good luck man if it has been sitting for that long i would do an oil change and check all your other fluids as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
              I tried to bleed the brakes from the master cylinder but from what i found out after i had the shop bleed them is you need to do each wheel individually.
              Bleed each brake assembly on each wheel individually, starting with the one furthest from the master cylinder and working your way back toward the master cylinder. It goes much quicker with two people, but it can be done with one person.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about sputtering. But, I will change fuel filter for sure.

Loosing pedal pressure when sitting on hill is due to internal leak with in brake master cylinder provided there's no external leak. I would replace the master cylinder and by doing so you'll flush entire brake system. You'll have new fluid.

IMHO, if brake booster fails, you'll have to use extra force to stop the car. You may hear hissing sound as there maybe a vacuum leak.
                A&P-IA

Comment

I haven't heard a hissing sound. And the fluid is full.

I bet the MC needs replacing, but I have kind of had to put things on hold for the last couple of days because it has been raining like crazy here.

Since the brakes work okay except for while sitting on a hill is there any danger in driving the car like it is for a little while?

Comment

Yes, there's danger.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

It is going on my list of things that need repairing/replacing.
                      Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X