Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil Leak 93 LX manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak 93 LX manual

Greetings everyone,

I have an oil leak. The previous owner said he had the valve cover gasket replaced and that he thought it was leaking from a gasket where the distributor is. However, in the pictures if you zoom in and look real closely at the valve cover gasket on the left side near the distributor, it looks like it might be jacked up a little bit.

Is that a missing bolt there? Could that be the problem?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM.

I have another question. I was told it was okay to run the car without the starter.

Someone just told me I need to put washers on the bolts about equal to the starter and put the bolts back in because they help support the trans. Also they said I need to cover up the open hole where the starter was because crud could fall into the clutch. Are these things correct?
    Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93lx2.2manual View Post
      Greetings everyone,

I have an oil leak. The previous owner said he had the valve cover gasket replaced and that he thought it was leaking from a gasket where the distributor is. However, in the pictures if you zoom in and look real closely at the valve cover gasket on the left side near the distributor, it looks like it might be jacked up a little bit.

Here are some pictures. I took them with a pretty good camera so if you save them you can really zoom in.

http://uscloud5.pogoplug.com/svc/fil...v/IMG_0128.JPG

http://uscloud5.pogoplug.com/svc/fil...v/IMG_0129.JPG

http://uscloud5.pogoplug.com/svc/fil...g/IMG_0133.JPG

If you save this picture and zoom in on the valve cover gasket you can see it pretty well. I am hoping someone can help me diagnose based on these pictures.

http://uscloud5.pogoplug.com/svc/fil...g/IMG_0131.JPG

Thanks!
      First off ur pics arnt working for me. But valvecover gaskets are common. And its possible he didn't put silicone in the corners where the cam sits (small glob of silicone on both sides of both cam humps) and three bolts to pull the distributor and replacing the "O" ring on it could be the issue (most likely) and replace the pcv valve in the valve cover if u don't it'll blow seals by not letting pressure out if the pcv is clogged.

If u don't have oil in the spark plug tubes I wouldn't replace the o rings that are under the rocker assembly... Especially if ur not comfortable doing so.. if u do tackle it. Look up torque specs and bolt tightening sequence and done remove the bolts.. just lift the rocker assembly with bolts in it (they hold it together!)

I have another question. I was told it was okay to run the car without the starter.

Someone just told me I need to put washers on the bolts about equal to the starter and put the bolts back in because they help support the trans. Also they said I need to cover up the open hole where the starter was because crud could fall into the clutch. Are these things correct?
      Why on earth would u not have a starter? U could do wat u described but why?

Comment

Does that one work?

Comment

Does that one work?
          nope doesnt work still
          Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. –Napoleon Hill

Members ride Thread

Instagram: IbSprintin

Comment

Okay, how about now!?

Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-17-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Definitely replace the distributor o-ring, if notice the joint between the cylinder head and distributor is the epicenter of your leak. Common issue.

Also why would you run with no starter? Push-starting a 3200lb car doesn't seem like tons of fun
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I just took the starter off. Push started the car just to make sure it runs.

The bendix was stuck out, wouldn't retract. I just got it to snap back in. Kind of wondering if the thing would work now, but im afraid even if it did it would mess up again quickly if I put it back in.
                Would a solenoid fix this problem, the starter motor spins fine. If I understand correctly there is a plunger in the solenoid that kicks the bendix out and sucks it back in?

Oh, and I will replace the distributor o-ring, thanks! I think this is actually the only reason the car "used" oil
                Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Any clue whats up with what looks to be a missing screw in the first post pic?
                  Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Any clue whats up with what looks to be a missing screw in the first post pic?
                    It's not gonna hurt ur car to run without a starter. Just don't rod on it. And yes distributor o ring is leaking and that bolt hole is probably for something that doesn't apply to ur car. Mines empty as well no sweat there.. do wat I would put a nice shiney bolt in there.

Comment

Originally posted by ryans91CB7 View Post
                      It's not gonna hurt ur car to run without a starter. Just don't rod on it. And yes distributor o ring is leaking and that bolt hole is probably for something that doesn't apply to ur car. Mines empty as well no sweat there.. do wat I would put a nice shiney bolt in there.
                      Haha awesome. I will find a bolt to stick in there so I look real fancy like.

My dad who is kind of helping me along with the car is kind of against taking the distributor off. He has experience with older cars (70's and older) but he has never really messed with timing. He is scared that if we take the distributor off we might mess up the timing.

How big of a concern is this really? How freely does the drive gear spin?

I read a thread in the DIY that said to "mark" the position of "it", but I wasn't sure if he was referring to the mounting points or the little teeth on the drive gear?

*edit* Another question, do the bolts that hold the valve cover on from the top (2 bolts) have seals around them? I can't tell if when adding oil that oil was spilled in them or if oil is leaking out of them. The one closer to the oil cap had a lot more in it, so I am hoping/guessing it is just spilled oil.
                      Last edited by 93lx2.2manual; 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Haha awesome. I will find a bolt to stick in there so I look real fancy like.

My dad who is kind of helping me along with the car is kind of against taking the distributor off. He has experience with older cars (70's and older) but he has never really messed with timing. He is scared that if we take the distributor off we might mess up the timing.

How big of a concern is this really? How freely does the drive gear spin?

I read a thread in the DIY that said to "mark" the position of "it", but I wasn't sure if he was referring to the mounting points or the little teeth on the drive gear?

*edit* Another question, do the bolts that hold the valve cover on from the top (2 bolts) have seals around them? I can't tell if when adding oil that oil was spilled in them or if oil is leaking out of them. The one closer to the oil cap had a lot more in it, so I am hoping/guessing it is just spilled oil.
                        This is the part number from Honda for the o ring, it's like $5.

And you want to mark where the distributor bolts to the cylinder head. Mark the one at the top and the one closest to the missing bolt in you pic. Run a fine tipped marker across where the bolts are, so there's a mark on the distributor side and on the head side.
                        Originally posted by Mishakol129
                        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

How easy is it to spin the shaft?

I can make sure to mark so that we bolt it back in the same orientation we had it before, but im real nervous that the shaft would spin and mess up the timing.

Comment

The rotor on distributor has coupler that fits only one way onto the cam shaft. So as long as you mark the body of distributor against cylinder head with a punch or scriber, you can go back to the timing you had. That doesn't mean the timing is correct.

The rotor spins easily. Camshaft not.

If your dad has experience with older cars, these cars should be easy to work on for him. You don't have to align dots or lines on gears here like old days.

There are rubber plug type seal under those nuts on valve cover.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

How easy is it to spin the shaft?

I can make sure to mark so that we bolt it back in the same orientation we had it before, but im real nervous that the shaft would spin and mess up the timing.
                              Pull the distributor cap, that way you can mark where the rotor is pointed at.
                              Originally posted by Mishakol129
                              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
                              X