Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil Leak 93 LX manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean spin the shaft with the, 2 teeth, for lack of a better term in the picture above.

If that is spun it won't effect timing? Then what is the concern? Now im

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKESgHg-yD8

In this video at about 6:10 the guy makes a mark with a marker. He says this is all you have to do to avoid needing to time the engine?

He even takes the rotor off!?

Comment

Also, I should mention. I was hoping to only replace the very outer o-ring to see if that would fix my leak.

So I was hoping to pop the distributor off and put a new o-ring on, clean quickly , and put right back on.

Comment

With the distributor off, you can spin the rotor inside the distributor, the part with the teeth, all day long if you want to. It doesn't have a memory, all it knows (and all that matters) is where it currently is. Quite honestly, you could also spin the camshaft if you wanted, so long as the timing belt doesn't slip, but I wouldn't recommend you trying. All that matters is that the rotor and the camshaft be in lock step, and with Honda's design, that is pretty much guaranteed to be the case, so long as you aren't like the goof in Tippey764's tech class. If it doesn't want to go back on easily, don't force it.

What you should do, to keep the timing the same, is mark a line (some folks like to score a line with a sharp instrument) across the cylinder head and the rotor before you take it off. When you bolt the distributor back onto the head, align the mark that you made, and you timing will be the same as when you removed it.

I can take pictures if you like, but they will have to wait until tomorrow evening. I think you can do this pretty easily, just make that mark on the metal around the top bolt on the distributor and cylinder head, and then you're good! Remove the old o-ring, clean away any dirt and grime, toss the new o-ring on (you may want to give it a small bit of oil, as with most oil seals), and toss it back on. Should take maybe 5 to 10 minutes if the bolts aren't stubborn and no other complications.

Here is a thread w/ pictures on honda-tech.com that shows what we've been saying. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2989256
          Last edited by reklipz; 07-20-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X