Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

temp gauge going high at idle but goes back to normal when runni g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temp gauge going high at idle but goes back to normal when runni g

my temp gauge goes up when im on idle or when im stuck in a trafic light.but when i start moving the temp slowly goes back to normal then go high once again when i hit a red light. i guess its only the wind blowing thats cooling my thermostat.

what could be the possible reason on this? driving a 91 automatic

Does your radiator fan work?
    How high does the gauge go?

Comment

theres actually two fans in here. the one closer to the coolant works when i turn off the engine. it goes close the red line but never over red. how do i know which ones for the radiator and if it works?

Comment

sounds like the thermostat needs replacing.

the fan on the passenger side is the radiator fan. the one on the driver side is a/c fan.

you should unplug the fan, the connector is right under the coolant reservoir. just pull up on the reservoir and you will see it.
        when you have it unplugged run 12volt power to the connector. i forget which one is + and - but you have 2 guess to find out, sorry.
        if it comes on, its good.

but you say the fan does come on when you turn your car off?
        Last edited by jewelproject; 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM.
        RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

yea it does cos i can hear it spinning when i turn off the engine. the person i bought it from replaced the timing belt thermostat and w
          ater.pump

Comment

Originally posted by athan12 View Post
            yea it does cos i can hear it spinning when i turn off the engine. the person i bought it from replaced the timing belt thermostat and w
            ater.pump
            not being an ass but seeing and hearing is two different observation. you should really make sure it is coming on.

i would suspect a faulty thermostat is your issue even though it has been replaced. not everything new will be 100% perfect. maybe they did change thermostat but not the seal. i could be wrong, but i did just have this similar issue a month ago. a new thermostat and seal fixed the problem. 15 bucks for both parts at the parts store.
            Last edited by jewelproject; 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

my car is blowing white smoke as well and i just failed the smog. planning to change the gasket and see if the temp stays normal.

what do you mean on the thermostat seal? can you elaborate this more to me.

Comment

Originally posted by athan12 View Post
                my car is blowing white smoke as well and i just failed the smog. planning to change the gasket and see if the temp stays normal.

what do you mean on the thermostat seal? can you elaborate this more to me.
                white smoke is not good. head gasket must be on its last leg.

sorry i said seal. i meant gasket. the rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat. always should be changed when thermostat is changed.

actually some call it a gasket seal. thats why i said what i said.
                Last edited by jewelproject; 07-11-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

could it be that i need to get my cylinder head resurfaced? thats why the temp gauge is going up?

what are the signs of a warped cylinder head?

Comment

The easiest way to tell if your head gasket is bad,
                    Just open the oil cap in the morning and look at the plug if the oil is colored chocolate, or white is a color in it.

That's the easiest way, the other is:
                    Uncover the radiator and start the car if it looks bad out many bubbles have your headgasket

spanish
                    La manera más fácil de saber si su head gasket es malo,
                    Solo tienes que destapar el tapón del aceite en la mañana y ver en el tapón si el aceite esta color Chocolate, o queda un color blanco en el.

Esa es la manera más fácil, la otra es:
                    Destapar el radiador y encender el carro si se ve salir muchas burbujas tienes mal tu headgasket

Comment

it is possible that you warped the head by alot because i red that you said you didnt let it go over red, which would make me assume that you let it get to red. If thats the case, then you have a lot of work to do. But either way, lets start with the basics. Like jewelproject said, are you sure your fans come on while your car is on? Because theyre are two fan switches: one that turns on the fans while the car is on, and one that turns them on up to 15 minutes after the car has been turned off. Then also check your thermostat. Make sure it's not getting stuck open. Unfortunately, from the looks/sounds of it, because white smoke is coming out of the exhaust, you very possibly need head work done, meaning new headgasket/resurfaced head.

Comment

mine does this too but the gauge stays right at 3/4 of the way. No matter how long im in traffic it stays right at 3/4 of the way and when i start moving it goes back down. Fan turns on at idle but seems to not turn on when im in gear. I have more important things to fix now than that.
                        10th Anniversary Accord.
                        05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Op, too me it sounds like your lower temp thermo switch has failed.
                          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

There are two temp probes.
                            One for normal operation with engine running. "On" temp is 189*f ~ 199*f. "Off" temp is 176*f ~ 196*f.
                            Like cloud says this one is probably faulty on your car.

Another probe linked with Fan timer which comes to play when ignition is off. "on" temp is 221*f ~ 231*f. "Off" temp is 208*f ~ 228*f.
                            Last edited by oyajicool; 07-11-2012, 10:44 AM.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

oh im not blowing white smoke at all so we may be something a loke but not the same problem.
                              10th Anniversary Accord.
                              05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Working...
                              X