Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

where did my power steer fluid go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where did my power steer fluid go?

I checked all my fluids every time i get gas which is about every 2 weeks. My power steer fluid was up to the max line one time i got gas and 2 weeks later it was a bit below the min line. Where did it go? Should i be concerned? I have never had to add fluid since i got the car. The steering system functions normaly btw.

Thanks
    visit vgruk

crawl under your car and look for a leak!

look at where the lines go into the rack, to the left of center. the is a shield that covers them with a hole in the middle. I had the high pressure line rust out on my sedan.

running the pump dry will ruin the pump.....

also, only use honda power steering fluid. From what i have read the pump and steering rack don't like the universal stuff..
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
      crawl under your car and look for a leak!

look at where the lines go into the rack, to the left of center. the is a shield that covers them with a hole in the middle. I had the high pressure line rust out on my sedan.

running the pump dry will ruin the pump.....

also, only use honda power steering fluid. From what i have read the pump and steering rack don't like the universal stuff..
      I have noticed no leaks at all. Thats my problem sorry i should have put that in the first post
      visit vgruk

Comment

well, it has to go somewhere! it's a closed system. it can't just disappear..
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          well, it has to go somewhere! it's a closed system. it can't just disappear..
          I know right! I will get under the car and look.
          visit vgruk

Comment

Power steering fluid has nowhere to go unless it's leaking. It is a sealed system, and is incapable of burning anything. It could be leaking from the pump, the lines, or the rack. The rack is probably the most likely (and you may need to replace the entire rack... I've seen them fail in much younger CBs!) Chances are that it's only leaking when under load, so you may not see anything if you just park it and look for a leak. Fill it up, put some cardboard under the front, and start the car. Turn the wheel back and forth a number of times, loading the system. If it leaks, that's when it SHOULD do it. Our power steering systems work the hardest when the car is stationary.

When you locate the leak, inspect all areas that the fluid leaked onto. Power steering fluid is corrosive, and should be thoroughly cleaned from any painted surfaces, as well as any rubber/plastic parts (especially wire sheathing.) If the painted areas are already bubbling, you'll need to sand them down and spray them with primer to prevent rust.

And yes, Honda fluids should be used for EVERYTHING, save for engine oil and hydraulic fluids.

Comment

Working...
            X