Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

chunk out of tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chunk out of tranny

so i finally got a chance to climb under my car and really diagnose my exhaust problem which is extremely minor....especially compared to what i found while inspecting the rest of the underneath. a piece of the transmission is gone. junk yard quoted me $375 for a whole new transmission, is this my only option or is there a different route i could go? thanks

well if the tranny works fine, maybe you could get a piece of flat metal to weld over that hole to deflect any road debris that might bounce off the road and into that hole; it's not like any fluid is going to leak out of that hole unless your rear main seal is bad.

If that tranny is toast, just search for a reliable import company that may have a transmission you can use but make sure you get some kind of warranty.
    Last edited by Leung; 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

That is going to be fine. You could cover the hole up with some tape if you are super paranoid something is going to jump right in there.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        well if the tranny works fine, maybe you could get a piece of flat metal to weld over that hole to deflect any road debris that might bounce off the road and into that hole; it's not like any fluid is going to leak out of that hole unless your rear main seal is bad.

If that tranny is toast, just search for a reliable import company that may have a transmission you can use but make sure you get some kind of warranty.
        Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
        That is going to be fine. You could cover the hole up with some tape if you are super paranoid something is going to jump right in there.
        jdmenginezone on Ebay has our trannys for $195 but like G-man said your tranny is fine
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

i havent had a chance to get it on the road but just from driving it around the yard it feels great. Im also kind of confused about how no fluid is going to leak. I don't know a whole lot about transmissions. that hole opens right up so I can see way in, that isn't a problem? being able to weld it would be awesome until I can get a new one. I just don't like leaving stuff half-a** but right now thats the best I can do.

p.s thanks for all the help

edit:nevermind. i figured it out. you guys are right. it will be fine as long as the rear main seal is fine. should have done my research before i replied. thanks alot for the help though.
          Last edited by biggmatt207; 06-11-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by biggmatt207 View Post
            i havent had a chance to get it on the road but just from driving it around the yard it feels great. Im also kind of confused about how no fluid is going to leak. I don't know a whole lot about transmissions. that hole opens right up so I can see way in, that isn't a problem? being able to weld it would be awesome until I can get a new one. I just don't like leaving stuff half-a** but right now thats the best I can do.

the tranny in my malibu looks like this and i have no leak issues

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

that area that you see into is a cavity for the flywheel and clutch disk, no fluids. The rear main seal i was talking about before is behind the flywheel and leads to the crankshaft. if that seal goes bad, motor oil will leak out into that cavity and dump out onto the ground.

Comment

yeah i did some research and figured that out, guess i should have done the research before i replied.. thanks for all the help though. i will probably just do like you said leung and weld something over it to keep debris out.

Comment

yeah i did some research and figured that out, guess i should have done the research before i replied.. thanks for all the help though. i will probably just do like you said leung and weld something over it to keep debris out.
                  Good luck man.

Comment

or like The G-Man said, temporarily with some tape haha.

yea that's for the flywheel and clutch or the torque converter on automatics (like mine unfortunatly )
                    1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                    1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                    1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                    1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Working...
                    X