Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How much is too much coolant ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much coolant ?

Everytime there is something going on with the car my stepdad opens the radiator and tells me there is too much coolant so he squeezes the top hose allowing some coolant to spill.

Everytime i check the level in the resovior it's on low so i fill it up till it's in a bit close to full. Next day i check it and its on low again so i refill again and goes on.

How much is too much ? He tells me that it should not br above the hole in the radiator. He says it should be below the actual hole but not coming out of it.

Any clues ? The hoses do hold pressure.
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

You should ask your step dad where he gets that information from, such as manufacturers' service bulletins, service manuals or even text books.

If it was my car and he does that I would slap his hand. Tell him to back off till he comes with the source of his reasoning in documents.
    A&P-IA

Comment

True but everytime he does that the car feels better. How do you know if you have enough?
      10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Coolant level should be flush with the opening of radiator cap, and in between "max" and "minimum" markings on reservoir.

I rarely check the coolant level by opening the radiator cap, knowing there's no external leak or white smoke out of exhaust pipe.
        Last edited by oyajicool; 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM.
        A&P-IA

Comment

ok thanks ,, im not burning it but i was leaking
          10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Have you purged the air out of your system? Maybe its running rough and he does that it moves the air bubble from the sensor..till all the little bubbles all collect there again.. oyajicool's info is correct

Comment

try bleeding the colant system again

Comment

How do I bleed the cooling system ?
                10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by 10thAnnivCB7 View Post
                  How do I bleed the cooling system ?
                  follow the lower radiator hose to the back side of the engine, the housing where it goes in there is a bolt on the top that looks identical to the bleeder bolts on your brake calipers. opening that up a turn or 2 gives the air some place to go. what your supposed to do, is when the system is filled, that bolt is supposed to be open so when you fill it until coolant is seen flowing from it.

Comment

ok ,, should i do this with the engine cold or hot ?
                    10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by 10thAnnivCB7 View Post
                      ok ,, should i do this with the engine cold or hot ?
                      u should bleed it while the car is warming up thats how i bleed my system u add antifreeze until it gets full and from the bleeder valve it will start coming out

Comment

i guess you could wait until its up to normal temp and crack it, but i never have. i usually leave my radiator cap off after i bleed it and let it run so i can watch flow, which kinda cancels out bleeding, unless your watching your levels.

btw, where was your leak?

Comment

Here is a video a member did on how to bleed your coolant

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=186325

Comment

Originally posted by Skulptr View Post
                            i guess you could wait until its up to normal temp and crack it, but i never have. i usually leave my radiator cap off after i bleed it and let it run so i can watch flow, which kinda cancels out bleeding, unless your watching your levels.

btw, where was your leak?
                            Bottom of the radiator ,, i used the stop leak and its not leaking but the temperature still goes up to 3/4 when im stopped and when i start moving it goes back to normal . Oil is good which leave me with the suggestion you guys have of bleeding the system. Ill do it when i get home.

I went to a Reading philies VS harrisburg senators baseball game on saturday and it didnt overheat and the car had 5 people with me included which gives it a lot of load but it didnt overheat like today. I also didnt drive as far as i do to go to school. Once i got to the parking lot inn school and parked it the fans came on as usual but the temp was good so its only overheating after a long drive when i hold it in gear. Bleeding the system is my next step after i go pick up the Rad cap from Honda. Thanks to all and ill keep you informed.
                            10th Anniversary Accord.

Comment

Ouch, stop leak is no good friend.

Sounds like you need a new radiator. Ive never really seen stop leak work as anything more than a bandaid fix, and it will probably give you weird shit issues like this until the radiator is replaced.

The real issue now is if the stop leak caused any further damage. Hopefully it didnt.
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X