Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F20A potential..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F20A potential..

I just acquired a Cb7..my first cb7, 4 door, and while I was interested to know it was being advertised with an F20B, low and behold, it had a DOHC F20A, FORTUNATELY, with an H22 Transmission.

I've had the F20B, as a matter of fact my knowledge of Honda/Acura is at it's strongest with the H and F Series motors but i've never had the F20A DOHC motor, let alone in a CB7.

My questions would be what are this motors strengths and weaknesses when compared to the F22a/b or H23??

All motor building wise, Can I just throw F20B pistons on this and net 11-12:1 Compression without using the F20B head?? The F20A DOHC head responds well to porting and has a 50cc chamber, so could I expect F20B power numbers minus Vtec??

Any opinions if any would be welcomed.

F20A is to F22A as F20B is to H22A/H23A VTEC.

Smaller displacement, higher revs, less torque. I been doing this research myself as I wanted an F20A DOHC. But really all in all there aren't many diff between the F22A and to F20A.

I will say that the F22A has cast iron sleeves in it that if one goes boost can safely take the beating, but not with f22 pistons.

H22A well, it has 200~220 HP out of the box and when built can also be a nasty machine.

It's all in what you want to get from an engine really. But there is so much out there lol...I hope this gives you a starting place.
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Ok so I finally got to get my hands into this car a lil bit...came across a few issues I may need some help on...here are some pics.

This plug isn't plugged into ANYTHING and I can't find sensor or anything it might plug up to, any ideas?

Should I be worried about this?? It seems like a Camshaft position sensor with the wires and plugs clipped. Now I understand that the F20A was originally ran an older body style, since this one is in an obd1 chasis and using an obd1 dizzy is the CPS accounted for differently hence the clipping??

Just a shot of the whole engine bay..

The whole car...

Also, it's running off of a PT6 Ecu, is this the proper ecu?? The car is having a surge at idle, could be a vacuum leak but the original onwer informed me that there was an exhaust leak and that could be causing some of my issues, but I still think it's a vacuum issue. Any tips would be appreciated.
      Last edited by TheProfessional; 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Video to further any diagnostic tips on my issue...
        Last edited by TheProfessional; 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Looks like the plug that goes to the MAP sensor box

Comment

Originally posted by GXLancer View Post
            Looks like the plug that goes to the MAP sensor box
            Could be why it's idling like shit...i'll check that asap

Comment

That extra sensor is a camshaft sensor I believe. Regardless get an external coil distributor from an h23a1 and it will plug right in

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                That extra sensor is a camshaft sensor I believe. Regardless get an external coil distributor from an h23a1 and it will plug right in

Are we talking about the unplugged wire running from the box off the Firewall? Because I just found the actual Sensor for the MAP in the glove box, it's not even hooked up..

Or are you referring to the two clipped wires by where there appears to be a sensor..I'd still have to find a plug for the sensor side to mate to the dizzy right?

Comment

I'm talking about the sensor mounted on the Intake camshaft

You should be able to use your stock wiring harness and an h23a distributor to make everything work perfectly. That's what I did when I swapped that motor.

Comment

I'm talking about the sensor mounted on the Intake camshaft

You should be able to use your stock wiring harness and an h23a distributor to make everything work perfectly. That's what I did when I swapped that motor.

Makes sense, and this could actually contribute to it's rough idle and rich running condition...

I have a spare h23 long block with a spun bearing, what else would you recommend I snag off of it? Would the intake manifold make any sense to use? Is the PT6 the right ecu for this motor?

Comment

Ou could use e intake manifold if you wanted. I would get the car running right first though.

And no the pt6 is not the right ecu. The pt2 is the right ecu and it's rare to find.

Comment

Ou could use e intake manifold if you wanted. I would get the car running right first though.

And no the pt6 is not the right ecu. The pt2 is the right ecu and it's rare to find.
                        Had a feeliing that was a factor as well and yea, rare ain't the word. How much would one fetch if I found it?

I'm gonna basically give the car a full once over tomorrow, hook the map back up, I already got the Dizzy and the plug to match up to the CPS you were talking about...Hopefully at that point it runs halfway right until I get the PT2.

Any power gains using the H23 intake manifold??

Lastly, How do go about wiring up that camshaft postion sensor to the new dizzy, or is it to the ecu??

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84028

^^^Should I follow one of these methods?
                        Last edited by Jarrett; 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM.

Comment

The PT6 is fine for now. It's not ideal but it's the best US ECU available for that combination.

As for the cam positioning sensor, just use the cam seal from the H23A1. The distributor will do the job of telling the ECU where the intake cam is, assuming the engine is properly timed.

Also, I'll likely be replying here instead of your thread on Honda-Tech.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                            The PT6 is fine for now. It's not ideal but it's the best US ECU available for that combination.

As for the cam positioning sensor, just use the cam seal from the H23A1. The distributor will do the job of telling the ECU where the intake cam is, assuming the engine is properly timed.

Also, I'll likely be replying here instead of your thread on Honda-Tech.

Ok cool thanks, so the H23 cam seal should have the plug I need already, just take it out and use it on this, when I put the new Dizzy on check.

Right now the car is running choppy as hell (as seen in the video) but more importantly it's running rich. The guy I got it from knew less about what was done to the car then even I did. The minute I popped the hood and heard it run I knew something wasn't right but i'm glad to know it's something easiily repaired.

I will ultimately find a PT2 ecu tho...been looking I think I have 2 located just waiting on prices. For now i'ma hook that map sensor back up and see if that takes some of the roughness outta this thing.

Comment

make sure it a f20a pt2 and not a civic p2t. some guy almost got me.

Comment

Working...
                              X