Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ingalls adjustable ball joint camber kits suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ingalls adjustable ball joint camber kits suck

I say this because there is no clearance and the are constantly hitting my shock tower. What's the point of making something for a lowered car if it doesn't truly work without an issue like that. Now I have the ootion of buying a different style camber kit or modifying my shock towers fml
    My whips so clean I can see the reflection of your car in the reflection of my car on the reflection of your car

It's not the camber kit, it's the design of the upper control arm and the fender clearance. ALL camber kits will result in hitting when the camber is corrected to 0 and the car is lowered.
    If you're not ricer-slammed, try setting it for -1 degree of camber. That usually gives clearance. Otherwise, bang out the fender, and be sure to prep and paint the area you hit. Another camber kit will produce exactly the same result.

Comment

Well the best I could get was 2 degrees of negative camber. I didn't have a clearance issue with the stock ball joints. I understand its the design. I wouldn't consider my car ricer slammed considering I still have about half an inch gap between wheel and tire. I don't think beating it out will resolve my issue, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to cut metal out
      Last edited by flatrex; 05-22-2012, 09:51 AM.
      My whips so clean I can see the reflection of your car in the reflection of my car on the reflection of your car

Comment

What do you mean the best you can get was 2 degrees?

Beating it would work. Many have done it. Cutting works as well, though I'm not comfortable with the thought of a rusty hole in an area that is intended to be rigid. That metal DOES hold your front suspension in place!

And of course you didn't have an issue with the stock ball joints. It's the camber correction that causes the impact. You're moving the ball joint out towards the fender.

Comment

Adjusted all the way out gives me 2 degrees of negative camber. Its the nut that's hitting the top, I can see it if I look through a small hole at the top of the strut tower. It looks to have less that a 1/4 inch of clearance (just guessing) I'm thinking of using a hole saw and cutting it that way right above the locking nut.

Comment

uslspct cut his car. It's scary to see, but he hasn't had any problems. Maybe shoot him a PM, and ask him to snap a picture of the hole he cut.

Comment

Yeah it is scary I've never liked when I've seen people do it in the past, but this is driving me crazy every little bump I hit causes it to hit I was actually thinking of making a raised plate and welding it in after I clearance it, not just for safety but also so I don't have 2 ugly holes in my engine bay

Comment

Originally posted by flatrex View Post
                I don't think beating it out will resolve my issue, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to cut metal out
                I've always banged out the shock tower, never even thought to cut to get clearance. Just go up under there and you should see the marks where the kit is hitting and get to banging. I always took mine to a friend of mine's shop and he used a torch to heat the metal a bit to make it more pliable. I'm not sure if he used a ball peen or air hammer but regardless he got it done. I've done this on 3 of my past CB's and it always worked.

Comment

I used to have the same issues with my FT Camber kit on my Old 91 EX. I was using the 1st Gen Cambers that makes is Upper Control Arm Stick out. When I Hit a Bump it would Hit hard. This Might have been Stupit but I Grinded the EDGE of the A-Arm where the Ball Join it (Not to Much) and then grinded where it was hitting. That took care of that. Now that I Read this I just ordered the Same Kit for $190 Front and Rear. Now I have to see how to avoid this on my 92 Project..Thanks for the info Guys but cutting is not a Option for me.

Comment

Seeger/earcandy AGREED....

I've had the same type of camber kit for bout 10 years now, it used to only do it with a loaded car. Since then i've only taken weight and stuff out the front end, so... I say if your going real low, more than 2.5", then a true adjustable upper control arm should be implied.....

I'm not aware of a company that makes one.

Comment

There are no "true adjustable upper control arm" options for our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        There are no "true adjustable upper control arm" options for our cars.
                        Actually there are but I don't know how much I would trust them....I guess there are no reputable companies that make them.

Comment

In the instructions that come with the ingalls ball joints, it clearly states

"These parts are not designed for installation on vehicles with suspension and/or steering systems modified for racing, competition or any other non-standard purpose"

Just sayin'

Anyway my car is pretty slammed I guess, and I have the Ingalls kit. The stock ball joints hit my shock towers so I have cut holes as well. I havent had any problems from cutting the holes or with my camber kit.
                          Last edited by bassrock234; 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

just buy skunk 2 upper control arms camber kit for a 88-91 civic or integra. it will cure the hitting, but you will be at least at a -3/-4 camber even though you pull it out to positive side. worked for me, but ball joints dont last that long (rubber boots). i ordered new ball joints from skunk 2 today. give it a try!

Comment

yeah because using parts made for another car is smart. if you have that much camber with the civic arms then why bother. its the negative camber you want to correct with the kit

Comment

Working...
                              X