Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Over Heating Issue - Failed Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over Heating Issue - Failed Thermostat

Hello! This is my first honda. Just purchased about a month ago. 91 2 door accord auto with about 148k miles. Did basic tune up but could not figure out why car would overheat. No coolant leaks. But fans only come on when AC turned on and car still overheats then, but putting AC on at hot cools engine (trick I learned back in the day). Anyway, I bled the coolant through a needle on top of the thermostat housing. You open it until you see fluid come out. Even after this, I'm still overheating. My next option is the thermostat. At this mileage, it was probably due anyway.

I remove tubing for intake, and unhook the lower hose from the thermostat housing. Yes, coolant spilled. I read to let the car cool so it doesnt spill too much but that didnt seem to be the case. Remember, the higher you lift that tubing, the more coolant flies back and can spill out of the radiator. The old thermostat was beat the F up and had a little brown residue in the area. I pop out the old thermostat which seperates from its own spring lol. Wipe off the brown crap and install the new thermostat. After reading about autozone thermo's, i go oem. its a 24 vs 10 dollar difference (including the gasket). At this price, best to do it right the first time. Its really 28 list price but honda was more than willing to drop price a little. I pushed new one in with a little force and reinstalled the housing. There is supposed to be 3 10 mm bolts holding it in place but min only had the 2 on the side, go figure. Reinstall hose, and bleed. Refill radiator to the T and let car run for about 10 minutes with A/C on at hot. Fluid goes down a little on radiator. I refill to the neck again. Test drive: best feeling in the world knowing you solved a big issue through research. Overheating issue fixed for 24 bucks. Gotta love it. Thanks to cb7, google, youtube and a few other sites that discuss how to replace a thermostat.

Next DIY on the list: fuel filter change and auto tranny fluid change

this is nice information and all, however it is in the wrong section. If this is a DIY write up then you need to put it in the DIY section. im supprised you didnt get banned for a few days for this.

also list your DIY in steps as opposed to just a paragraph, it will make it easier to follow.

Thanks.
    Accord SE

93se
    Members Ride
    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
      this is nice information and all, however it is in the wrong section. If this is a DIY write up then you need to put it in the DIY section. im supprised you didnt get banned for a few days for this.

also list your DIY in steps as opposed to just a paragraph, it will make it easier to follow.

Thanks.
      He didn't post this in the diy section, and it's far from the proper format. So I look at it as a little informational post. Definitely not ban worthy.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by meccanoble View Post
        Hello! This is my first honda. Just purchased about a month ago. 91 2 door accord auto with about 148k miles. Did basic tune up but could not figure out why car would overheat. No coolant leaks. But fans only come on when AC turned on and car still overheats then, but putting AC on at hot cools engine (trick I learned back in the day). Anyway, I bled the coolant through a needle on top of the thermostat housing. You open it until you see fluid come out. Even after this, I'm still overheating. My next option is the thermostat. At this mileage, it was probably due anyway.

I remove tubing for intake, and unhook the lower hose from the thermostat housing. Yes, coolant spilled. I read to let the car cool so it doesnt spill too much but that didnt seem to be the case. Remember, the higher you lift that tubing, the more coolant flies back and can spill out of the radiator. The old thermostat was beat the F up and had a little brown residue in the area. I pop out the old thermostat which seperates from its own spring lol. Wipe off the brown crap and install the new thermostat. After reading about autozone thermo's, i go oem. its a 24 vs 10 dollar difference (including the gasket). At this price, best to do it right the first time. Its really 28 list price but honda was more than willing to drop price a little. I pushed new one in with a little force and reinstalled the housing. There is supposed to be 3 10 mm bolts holding it in place but min only had the 2 on the side, go figure. Reinstall hose, and bleed. Refill radiator to the T and let car run for about 10 minutes with A/C on at hot. Fluid goes down a little on radiator. I refill to the neck again. Test drive: best feeling in the world knowing you solved a big issue through research. Overheating issue fixed for 24 bucks. Gotta love it. Thanks to cb7, google, youtube and a few other sites that discuss how to replace a thermostat.

Next DIY on the list: fuel filter change and auto tranny fluid change
        check your head gasket . to do this pull the rad cap off then start the car . now what untill the car is warm no reving . watch for bubls if you see them and they dont go away then you have a blown head gasket . this will cause it to over heat .
        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
        How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
        Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Nobody gets banned for posting in the wrong place, or in the wrong format. At most, the thread just gets deleted. If the information is good, it's unfortunate, but the wrong place or an incorrect (or hard to follow) format will just result in it being ignored.

Comment

Working...
          X