Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Aftermarket cat back with stock muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket cat back with stock muffler?

Hi all,
    I have noticed that my muffler has become rusted and sounds terrible, definately needing to be replaced. I cannot swap it out becuase it is welded on so I have decided to order aftermarket parts, a spec-d tuning cat back system to be precise. I know it's a cheap kit but I am wondering is it possible to bolt a stock muffler onto the aftermarket mid pipe? Has anyone done this before? Also, does anyone have experience with the spec-d exhaust? If it doesn't sound too ricey I may just forget the stock muffler. If not I'll be sure to review it when it arrives. (car is a 1991 LX sedan if that matters.)

So you say that your muffler is welded on, then you go and say can you bolt it up to the aftermarket piping? No. If it is welded on, you cannot bolt it on.

Comment

not all systems are the same, MOST are bolt-together so yeah, a stock-type muffler could be subbed in i'm sure

at the very worst you get a shop to flare one end so you can bolt it together if they aren't already
      ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

I'm assuming the Spec-D is one of those eBay brands. If so you cannot bolt a factory rear section to the 2.5" piping. The factory piping is 1.75". I recommend you get a Magnaflow or Dynomax muffler that's made of stainless and has a 2.5" inlet and just replace the muffler itself on the Spec-D exhaust and not the whole axle-back section.

Edit* What?! That was a random time to creep back out of the woodwork.

To clarify what I meant in reflection of Deev's post below by "replace" I meant weld.
        Last edited by Jarrett; 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Fizzy!

It's unlikely that the aftermarket setup will bolt to the stock muffler without some custom work. It CAN be done, sure... but honestly, why would you even want to? There's no performance gain to be had by doing that. Hell, you might actually even lose performance, given the turbulence that would be caused by the sudden change in pipe diameter at the very end!

Since you already ordered that SpecD kit, I say just install it. It WILL sound like shit. All those cheap kits do. It will be loud, and if it doesn't rasp you'll be lucky.
          If you want quiet aftermarket, go for the Apexi World Sport 2. It's not cheap, but it's well made and sounds good.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Unless you're a complete sucker, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Fizzy!

It's unlikely that the aftermarket setup will bolt to the stock muffler without some custom work. It CAN be done, sure... but honestly, why would you even want to? There's no performance gain to be had by doing that. Hell, you might actually even lose performance, given the turbulence that would be caused by the sudden change in pipe diameter at the very end!

Since you already ordered that SpecD kit, I say just install it. It WILL sound like shit. All those cheap kits do. It will be loud, and if it doesn't rasp you'll be lucky.
            If you want quiet aftermarket, go for the Apexi World Sport 2. It's not cheap, but it's well made and sounds good.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Unless you're a complete sucker, that is.
            this right here. my experience with other cars though suggest that you can run the axleback to an aftermarket midpipe, but with the reduction in diameter, it's not worth it. just run a full catback

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll just have to live with a loud exhaust for now. Can't possibly sound worse than it does now though! The kit does come with a silencer for the muffler. Do those work at all like you would expect them to?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea.Bee.SVN View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll just have to live with a loud exhaust for now. Can't possibly sound worse than it does now though! The kit does come with a silencer for the muffler. Do those work at all like you would expect them to?
                Typically the silencer is just an insert into the muffler and fastened with a small bolt and nut. Putting the silencer in will negate the performance the cat back gives you due to it restricting the airflow. They do work as far as making the car quieter, but sometimes the silencer can rattle during acceleration and as I mentioned before you will lose most of the performance gains had by the cat-back.

Comment

You can also go to your local parts store and purchase a muffler. Most of the performance mufflers have 2.5" ends so all you would have to do is weld it on. This will give you performance and a nice deep sound as long as you still have a catalytic converter and resonator.

Comment

Working...
                  X