Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

down shifting in to 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

down shifting in to 3rd

when i drive and i go to slow down i down shift to help slow me down. sometimes though when i try to down shift in to 3rd it wont get in gear, then ill have to stick it in 4th and try again. that will usually do the trick. then sometimes i'll have to play with it like that 2 or 3 times before it finally goes in to gear, also by that time it will grind its way in to gear and i hate it

this only happens while down shifting never up shifting. it just gets annoying sometimes when i go to make a turn and i'll have to skip putting it in 3rd and just use 2nd, in some cases.

this happens frequently enough to the point where i need to ask what the deal is, and i'm sure there wont be a straight answer and there's the chance it could be anything. it's just that one simple little thing.

it's better if you do not use the clutch and tranny to help you slow down as it puts alot of wear on the clutch, and you would be changing it out real soon. Now the downshifting issue could be alot of possibilities, like a clutch pedal adjustment, worn clutch, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, or the 3rd gear synchro, start with the easiest one first...
    OLD

Comment

Try rev matching
      My whips so clean I can see the reflection of your car in the reflection of my car on the reflection of your car

Comment

Rev matching is your best bet.
        And yes, while it puts extra wear on your clutch and tranny... I do this in my Fit, and I got nearly 200,000 miles out of my original clutch (before a spring came loose and trashed it... it still had at least 20,000 more miles worth of friction material, though!)
        I rev match, heel-toe downshift, launch, feather the clutch... I seriously beat the crap out of that thing!

The issues you are experiencing are most likely due to worn synchronizers in your transmission, and possibly (but unlikely) a slightly damaged shift fork.
        Try changing your transmission fluid. I suggest using GM Synchromesh Friction Modified Formula. You can get it at any GM dealer. Many people have compared it to Honda MTF and found that the GM fluid produced better results.

Comment

If you know how to properly shift and you do not slip the clutch. Down shifting gears to a stop will not put any noticeable wear on the clutch or it's components. It will also give you better fuel economy as the ECU will go into a deceleration fuel cut. Where as if you were to put it in neutral/free wheel the ECU will burn fuel at it's moving idle speed. 1000-1200rpm IIRC.

OP, x2 .... This kind of sounds like your syncro's are starting to go. Try doing a fluid change and see if that does anything.

How hard is it to put into reverse?
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Also, do you have a short shifter installed? I noticed MUCH notchier shifting with a short shifter, to the point where I put it back to stock.

Comment

lol it can be a real pain to get it in reverse, no i just have a regular shifter knob

Comment

Sounds like you're going to need a new trans. Try the fluid change and see if makes things better for a while.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

A fluid change actually made quite a difference in mine. I had difficulty shifting into reverse when it was cold (thanks to a shop that put thick gear oil in there!)

Comment

well after reading http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/rev-matching.htm

i assume rev matching is just driving and changing gears as smoothly as possible, but i'm going to read some more articles about rev matching.

idk if that's the case because i will be going a good speed but it just wont get in gear like the reverse for instance and also 1st gear which you will never get in gear if you're moving. keep in mind it's only 3rd gear while down shifting.

i'll take it to the shop for a fluid change need to get new tires anyhow.

Comment

Rev matching means revving the engine up in neutral (or just with the clutch pressed in, if you're lazy) to match the speed it will be going in the lower gear. It puts less strain on the clutch and transmission, and keeps your car from bucking as it gets into gear.

Be sure to get the GM Synchromesh fluid. Don't just say "I want a transmission fluid change" at a random shop, or they'll put motor oil in there... or worse, gear oil. Motor oil is actually what our manual says to use, but after 20 years of use (and abuse... people rarely think to change their transmission fluid), better fluid offers much more protection against wear.

Comment

Working...
                      X