Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

recommend tranny flush or drain & fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommend tranny flush or drain & fill

Ok my tranny is either going bad or my shift silonds is going out my mileage is 124164 my tranny is a jnkyrd one just say the red marking on it. My fluids is like dark red and smells burnt. Wat yall recommend
    Keep It Low, And Drive It Slow
    ------------------------------------+---
    89 CRX dx with a 94 del so Si swap - deceased 91 civic hatchback Si with a JDM ZC SOHC swap-sold 92 CB7 accord sedan - living but stock

you need to replace the oil on the tranny it is suppose to look pink .. when the pink turns to red followed by a burnt smell that means the oil is bad and the tranny will not function properly

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
    "2SIIC"
    Authentic Jerseys for sale
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Drain and fill. Never "flush".

Drain, fill, drive, repeat... that's the way to ensure you get all the old fluid out, as draining it once doesn't get it all.

Comment

Originally posted by daovangphotos View Post
        Here are the steps to a proper drain and fill for the automatic transmission:

You will need a 3/8 ratchet, a transmission funnel, a jack and jack stands and 3 bottles of Honda ATF (automatic transmission fluid)

Loosen the passenger front wheel, jack the car up and remove the passenger wheel.
        On the transmission by the radius rod, there is a square indentation on the transmission.
        That is where the 3/8 ratchet fits into perfectly.
        Loosen that bolt and drain all of the transmission fluid.

When the fluid runs down to near empty, close up the drain plug, put the wheel back on and torque it to specs when you lower the car back on the ground.

Now go under the hood and towards the front of the car, by the lower radiator hose, look for the little dipstick that sticks into the transmission.
        Pull that out, and using a transmission funnel, pour in 1 quart of Honda ATF.
        Check under car for leaks, if it leaks, then you forgot to tighten the drain plug. If no leak, proceed.
        Pour the 2nd bottle of Honda ATF into the transmission, then replace the dipstick.

Now the part where you break your back, lol

Start the car, let it warm up to normal operating temperature.
        Raise the car so both front wheels are off the ground.
        Sitting inside the driver seat, put the gear into REVERSE and let go of the brakes.
        Allow 30 seconds to pass by.
        After 30 seconds, slowly press on the brake pedal to slow down the wheels to a complete stop.
        Put the gear into neutral and let go of brakes.
        Allow 30 seconds to pass by.
        After 30 seconds, put the gear into D4
        Allow it to spin for 30 seconds
        After 30 seconds pass by, slowly press on the brake pedal to slow down the wheels to a stop.
        Put the gear into D3
        Allow the wheel to spin for 30 seconds
        After 30 seconds pass, slowly press on the brake pedal to slow down the wheels to a stop
        Put the gear into 2
        After 30 seconds pass, slowly press on the brake pedal to slow down the wheels to a stop
        Put the gear into 1

Now you do the same steps, from 1, then 2, then D3, then D4, then Neutral, then Reverse and finally PARK.

After you cycle all of the gears with 30 seconds per gear, shut the car off in park, and lower the vehicle back onto the ground.

Check the transmission dipstick for fluid level to see if it is low or full.
        If it is not full, pour in half a quart, jack up the car and run the gears in the air again until the level is up to the full line.

FYI, the transmission really holds over 6 quarts total of fluid, when you do a drain and fill, your only removing 33-50% of the old fluid, and replacing it with fresh fluid. For best results following the above procedure several times at short intervals should help significantly. Example, drive 500 miles, then drain and fill, another 1500 drain and fill, 3000, etc until your fluid starts coming out cleaner. Also only use Honda ATF or GM Sycromesh (I personally can't vouch for syncromesh) but I've tried several different atf fluids, and it caused severely hard random shifts from 1st to second every 3000k miles, probably what damaged a couple of my motor mounts shortly after I aquired my cb7.)

If you were to have your transmission flushed by a machine, I would make sure that they use only one of the two atf fluids mentioned above for the procedure, and we all know that much fluid honda atf isn't cheap.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

Drain, fill, drive, repeat... that's the way to ensure you get all the old fluid out, as draining it once doesn't get it all.

Ok thanks. How many times i do it
          89 CRX dx with a 94 del so Si swap - deceased 91 civic hatchback Si with a JDM ZC SOHC swap-sold 92 CB7 accord sedan - living but stock

Comment

Twice, I believe three times would be optimal.

Comment

Not trying to thread jack, but would you use the same Honda ATF for manuals??

Comment

Originally posted by Junior Smurff View Post

Its cool...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

x2 never flush an auto tranny if it wasn't done regularly threw out its service history (never happens)... A 19-22 year old tranny regardless of somewhat lower miles is probably mostly held together by sludge. A flush would do more harm then good

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post

FYI, the transmission really holds over 6 quarts total of fluid, when you do a drain and fill, your only removing 33-50% of the old fluid, and replacing it with fresh fluid. For best results following the above procedure several times at short intervals should help significantly. Example, drive 500 miles, then drain and fill, another 1500 drain and fill, 3000, etc until your fluid starts coming out cleaner. Also only use Honda ATF or GM Sycromesh (I personally can't vouch for syncromesh) but I've tried several different atf fluids, and it caused severely hard random shifts from 1st to second every 3000k miles, probably what damaged a couple of my motor mounts shortly after I aquired my cb7.)

If you were to have your transmission flushed by a machine, I would make sure that they use only one of the two atf fluids mentioned above for the procedure, and we all know that much fluid honda atf isn't cheap.
                    Thanks bro.. u mind helping me out one day.. since u in htown

Comment

Originally posted by Junior Smurff View Post
                      No u would get mtf from honda manual transmission takes. 2.5 quarts I believe someone correct me if im wrong

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordkidd View Post
                        No u would get mtf from honda manual transmission takes. 2.5 quarts I believe someone correct me if im wrong
                        Fersure, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 713_JDM_CB7 View Post
                          Thanks bro.. u mind helping me out one day.. since u in htown
                          Sure, you should check out the regional: south section of the board, theres a htown accord meet on the 5th, I'll most likely be there in a silver fit, as my cb has been parked for the last 3 years due to wristpin knock
                          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
                          X