Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

changing rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing rotors

ok i have brand spanking new drilled and slotted rotors and pads.. i looked on youtube to get an ideal of how to get the old rotors off and the new ones on but holy crap!! do you really have to drop the whole spindel? and take half the car apart to put these on? please help me im use to cars with floater rotors (vw) and this seems like a lil much thanks for the help and any advice

Yes sir. Our captive rotor design SUCKS.

Comment

theres no way to just take the four bolts out and slide the old one out?

Comment

Only if you do a rotor-over-hub conversion (you can buy the parts to do it from TASauto.)

Comment

boo..... and is it hard to do suspension? because my plans where to lower it and slap on the new rotors tomorow.... i keep ordering parts and wanting to fix it as i go but man this stinks.........

Comment

Suspension is actually MUCH easier. All you need are basic hand tools and a spring compressor (which can be borrowed for free from most major autoparts chain stores, like Autozone.) The rotors really are the only truly pain in the ass part of these cars when it comes to the basic stuff (actually, I can't think of anything else that's as irritating.) I've done my suspension about 6 times, and helped on a few others. It's cake.

One bit of advice on the rear suspension, be very careful when removing the bottom bolt holding the shock in place. If the bolt seizes to the bushing sleeve, it'll tear apart the bushing, which is a headache to replace. I have to fix that issue on my car at the moment.

Comment

thanks man i really appreciate it!! do you know how much a shop would charge me to do the rotors cuz this seems like its gonna be a big headache.........

Comment

Not sure. I haven't had my rotors done since 2004, and even then it was done by my stepfather's Chrysler dealership (yet i still paid for it...)
                If you can, find a place that will do it for a flat rate, and not hourly. If you're lucky, they won't know what they're getting into until they've already started!

Comment

The EASIEST way I've found to do the rotors is, when you have the spindles off, take the 4 bolts out of the back that are holding the rotors on, take 2 10mm bolts that are 4 or so inches long, thread them into the OPPOSITE corners, take a hammer and hit the heads of the bolts with a hammer, switching from one to the other so the rotor comes off evenly. May sound ghetto or whatever, but, that's the easiest way I've found to do it with normal hand tools. I've done it a few times, the ONLY damage I've done was to some cheap bolts. No damage was done to the threads or any other part of the whole mess.

Comment

maybe my car was being nice but i pretty much followed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIUAMl-oRQ without air tools and i got it done in under an hour...i didnt take the whole knuckle off either just the bottom ball joint. the after taking the the axle nut off just rotated the knuckle to access those 4 bolts in the back. once that was done i removed those 4 bolts then got some longer bolts of same thread pitch. threaded them in where i took the 4 back bolts out, and hammered evenly around in a crossing pattern till the hub came out. make sure you loosen the four front bolts(not all the way out, just broke loose) . if you gonna attempt it u can pm me ill help you through it...

Ride List
                    1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                    2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                    newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

I dont know why people complain about these style rotors. I have done them many times by using longer bolts threaded through the back and tapping them out. Very easy. Takes me 30 minutes a side. Similar to nine_deuce's method

But, I work on cars a lot...so if you dont it will be harder for you =)
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

wowzers..that seems like a very annoying, but extremely fun job to do...can wait til i replace mine

Comment

I would loosen up the bolts on the front of the rotors a bit while it still hooked up to the tie rod and UCA & LCA.

I almost stripped one while if was off.
                          92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

Yea wish I knew all this before I first attempted mine so many years ago. On the bright side I now have a full set of bolt extractors. I had to heat mine a little bit to help.

nine_deuce: I need to get one of those shirts for my girl. Hilarious.

Comment

thanks to everyone with the advice and help... i guess il be doin them tomorow..was suppose to do coilovers and rotors today but that dint happen

Comment

Working...
                              X