Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F23 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F23 swap

Hello.. i hope someone can help me. I have a F23A1 long block with low miles and would like to put it in my 91 accord wagon that has a tired F22A1. can i use all of the parts from my F22A1 on my F23A1 block?

I moved this thread into the technical section because it is not an "off-topic" question.

There have been a couple threads on here that deal with this swap. It's similar to wiring up an F22B1 VTEC engine that came in the '94-'97 Accords.

I know you said it's low mileage but I want to know the other reasons you're wanting to do this swap. If it's for performance you won't find much more. This engine is not generally considered a performance engine. If it were me I'd just try to use the F23A1 short block and the F22A head. Read up on the threads on the site that deal with that swap though.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Well My F22A1 has almost 300k on it and leaks and burns oil and i have little to no money and really need to get the car back on the road. I got the F23A1 for $100 and was told my Parts would bolt right up. Well Except the exhaust. and Where did you move my post i cant seem to fine it in Tech

Comment

Someone changed the title to "F23 swap".

Whomever told you that all of the parts from your F22A would bolt up to your F23A was simply trying to sell you an F23. The exhaust manifold, as you've already pointed out, doesn't fit as well as the intake manifold. I'll do more research for you in the morning but I think there's an issue with the oil pump that needs to be solved also. I'm not sure so I don't want to spout anything out.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

thank you

Comment

Its been done all info is here, you transmission, drivers bracket/mount, a/c bracket, and alternator bracket all bolt on. The powersteering will be different and has to be modified. the F23 and F22 engines use different timing belts, the f23 has a crank angle sensor, which you wont need, but you still need to keep the gear on the crankshaft.

The exhaust manifold on your f22 will not match up to the f23's head.

If I were you i would put the f22 head on the f23 block but replace the valve seals if you do so. This would require you to use a f22 timing belt since the f23 has a smaller head it uses a 112 tooth belt where the f22 uses a 113 tooth belt because of the larger non vtec head. The tooth count on both blocks for all gears, camshaft, crankshaft, waterpump and balance shafts are the same. This head/block combination will allow you to use your engine harness without modification, ecu, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, mounts, brackets and accessorys without modification.

For this you will need

F23 rear/front seal, water pump, balance shaft seals, tensioner, and head gasket.

F22 timing belt, cam seal, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, valve seal set.

Unsure but I think you use the f23 block timing cover, and the f22 upper timing cover.

Comment

thank you so much

Comment

Thanks IBCNYA. I knew the info was here but I was posting from my phone.

I wish this hybrid swap was done more. These engines are increasingly common in the junkyards now and typically have much less mileage than the F22As we have. With the additional stroke that will allow you to run more duration on your cam and the ability to add K20A2 pistons for a 11.4:1 compression ratio you can't go wrong.

Comment

does any one have a picture of the power steering Bracket Mod for this install

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post
                    Its been done all info is here, you transmission, drivers bracket/mount, a/c bracket, and alternator bracket all bolt on. The powersteering will be different and has to be modified. the F23 and F22 engines use different timing belts, the f23 has a crank angle sensor, which you wont need, but you still need to keep the gear on the crankshaft.

If I were you i would put the f22 head on the f23 block but replace the valve seals if you do so. This would require you to use a f22 timing belt since the f23 has a smaller head it uses a 112 tooth belt where the f22 uses a 113 tooth belt because of the larger non vtec head. The tooth count on both blocks for all gears, camshaft, crankshaft, waterpump and balance shafts are the same. This head/block combination will allow you to use your engine harness without modification, ecu, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, mounts, brackets and accessorys without modification.

For this you will need

F23 rear/front seal, water pump, balance shaft seals, tensioner, and head gasket.

Unsure but I think you use the f23 block timing cover, and the f22 upper timing cover.
                    to simplify a bit, back when i had the f23a4 in i was able to use allmost everything from an f22b1, i switched to the b1 intake manifold to eliminate the 3 wire iacv issue, used b1 TB to retain the thermo valve to keep from pissing the iacv off. used the b1 exhaust manifold as well. timing belt, tensionor, seals, valvecover (cause i wanted to use the simple "vtec" VC). Just a bit of what i had set up. hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      Thanks IBCNYA. I knew the info was here but I was posting from my phone.

I wish this hybrid swap was done more. These engines are increasingly common in the junkyards now and typically have much less mileage than the F22As we have. With the additional stroke that will allow you to run more duration on your cam and the ability to add K20A2 pistons for a 11.4:1 compression ratio you can't go wrong.
                      ^best part is you can pick em up for like 350 already pulled in most places with only 60-80k. gotta love it

Comment

just wanted to confirm that the f22a timing gear and the f23a timing gear are interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post

For this you will need

I think he would have to use the f22b1 dist and ground the IACV (the third wire) other than that I think you covered everything. Oh and use a F22b1 ecu obd1 of course.

And jarrett is right. And that is exactly what Ill be doing with my car. Fuck it why not? No need to be a speed racer just budget accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed View Post
                            just wanted to confirm that the f22a timing gear and the f23a timing gear are interchangeable.
                            i worded that wrong. a lil buzzed right now.
                            are the f22a and f23 TG interchangeable? if i'm putting a f22a head on a f23 block do i need a f22a gear?

Comment

interchange able? look at the parts on that one website that sells oem parts and has diagrams. i forgot the sites name. but i dont know which one youre supposed to use how ever.

I would think f23 lower f22 cam gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X