Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Emmisions Fail....Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
    meh could be clogged egr ports
    if so, then nox numbers would be higher and you would feel a definite missfire.

But Nox is also hidden with co is high. But if co is high then something is contributing to it.

WHen was the last time the car had a tune up, check your cap and rotor and the spark plugs.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      if so, then nox numbers would be higher and you would feel a definite missfire.

But Nox is also hidden with co is high. But if co is high then something is contributing to it.

WHen was the last time the car had a tune up, check your cap and rotor and the spark plugs.
      doubt it, CO is a mixture/tune issue. not "clogged" but could be restricted.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

So are you guys saying check the egr and replace the o2 sensor? If the o2 sensor was bad though wouldnt i be throwing a CEL?

Comment

Originally posted by Marko13 View Post
          If the o2 sensor was bad though wouldnt i be throwing a CEL?
          Not usually. Our cars are obd1, and only have 1 o2 sensor, obd2 cars have two, which for all intensive purposes, is a check and balance system. The ecu can detect wrong readings from the o2 sensor, since there is another one to compare too. Ours, if were lucky we might get a o2 heater code, otherwise you when its on its way out it could take 2-3 hours of it sputtering and wanting to stall out intermittently, before it even throws a code 43. (in my case). Otherwise there have been people who have what appears to be normally functioning o2 sensors, but something ends up being off with them, like they decalibrate over time, and it causes them to fail their smog test.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

doubt it, CO is a mixture/tune issue. not "clogged" but could be restricted.
            You have a point there, but it can go both ways. If co is high, then it can be hiding some of the NoX readings. But if its because of the nox behing high and clogged egr ports, it can cause co to be high because of a small misfire.

Originally posted by Marko13 View Post
            So are you guys saying check the egr and replace the o2 sensor? If the o2 sensor was bad though wouldnt i be throwing a CEL?
            Not exactly as someone pointed out. But a O2 sensor CEL wont go off if the sensor is still working. Lets say the sensor was bias Lean, it will always think that the burn is lean so its telling the comptuer to richen up...it wont set off a check engine light because it still sending a signal.

A bias Lean O2 sensor can cause the high co readings as well. Car thinks its burning lean, dump more fuel to compensate.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

in this case way more fuel. switching time is probably really slow but the computer isn't smart enough to look for that. it has no code set criteria...only for low or high voltage.

and remember that a miss would affect hc.

you and i need to have a beer next time, we have a lot to discuss
              I <3 G60.

Comment

in this case way more fuel. switching time is probably really slow but the computer isn't smart enough to look for that. it has no code set criteria...only for low or high voltage.

and remember that a miss would affect hc.

DUDE all this time I was reading HC as being high....shit lol I did it again. damnit!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

So, were you refering to me?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

who else?
                    I <3 G60.

Comment

who else?

Lol the op.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Now correct me if im wrong, but from my understanding, a JDM engine has a totally different emissions standards than a usdm engine. Im not 100%, but from what ive reserched, Its extremely difficult to get a JDM engine to pass USDM emissions. I mean, damn, it took me 2 weeks to get my f22a4 to pass emissions! But anyway, i floped them by 3x the legal limit. I did a total tune up, cleaned egr and egr ports, valve adjustment, reset ignition timing,(mine was advanced a bit), replaced the distributer with a spare that i had gone through entirely, and ran some lucus oil injector cleaner through it. Now this part may sound totally absurd, but i ran about 2 bottles of water throught my throtle body. Now hear me out... If you take a peice of vacume hose and dip it into a bottle of water, plug the end with your thumb, then run a few drops at a time through the intake, it sort of works as a steam cleaner for you valve system. it breaks up alot of the buld-up on the valve system. It filled the whole street up with white smoke for the 1st bottle. just keep doing it untill it stops smoking, then go run the piss out of the car. My car literally filled entire intersections with white smoke, but promptly cleared up, and then i went straight to the emissions station and passed. DO NOT go overboard with puting water in your engine! That should go without saying.

Comment

who else?
                          Maybe I will be at the next heather farms meet, maybe

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by My300kCoupe View Post
                            Now correct me if im wrong, but from my understanding, a JDM engine has a totally different emissions standards than a usdm engine. Im not 100%, but from what ive reserched, Its extremely difficult to get a JDM engine to pass USDM emissions.
                            Thats because most people who bring over a JDM engine, are running a JDM ecu. Which is tuned for JDM emissions, which one would think would be stricter considering they have the 2liter tax, but doesn't appear to be the case. If someone is having problems passing emissions in the 49 states (not cali) with a USDM engine, there might be a benefit to running a cali emission ecu. (I still haven't gotten any roms for the pt3/pt6 that are cali emission, maybe one of these days I'll pull the rom off my PT6-L50.)
                            Last edited by cloudasc; 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM.
                            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

my dad's es300 with a jdm motor passed emissions fine with the original cat @ 230k.

as long as the jdm engine has usdm emissions components then there's no way it can run worse.

and you're not supposed to drop water in, id prefer to use a spray bottle at a higher rpm.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X