Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

exterior motor cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exterior motor cleaning

So iv finally decided to clean up the h22 and find/fix all my little tiny oil leaks(if any at all, could just be there from before or what not...

but anyways to the topic what should i use to clean the motor with... i know it will need to be something sensor safe, also i dont want to use something that will eat my gaskets, as i dont want to replace something i dont need to.. any thoughts are welcome, experience would be nice also.. i dont want to be out there scrubbing for 10000 hours though either(yea im a bit lazy, but try not to be -_-)

also when washing off the cleaner, is there anything i should worry about getting water on? i mean the dizzy is sealed(to my knowledge, which TBH isnt the best) as long as i dont just jump in the car and start it up, either let it air dry(which may cause water spots) or blow it with a fan/vacuum or w/e else your little imagination can come up with =P!

list of non-corrosive cleaners
    as it seems so far that iv researched pretty much anything citrus based is non-corrosive, so are far as those, im not going to list.

oil eater
    Last edited by 93redcb7; 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM.

Motors are electric engines use combustion lol jk heres a pretty good diy engine bein at the top of the wright up http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ngine+cleaning

NGK/NTK or Denso are the best never use a bosch 02 on an import

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
    sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
    bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

Originally posted by 904drACCORDMANG View Post
      Motors are electric engines use combustion lol jk heres a pretty good diy engine bein at the top of the wright up http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ngine+cleaning

NGK/NTK or Denso are the best never use a bosch 02 on an import
      =O now thats a list of detailing LOL... but it doesnt really say what to use as for cleaner for the motor... im just looking more for taking the oil off not making my car look like a mirror =P

Comment

theres a few different kinds of engine degreasers at the part stores
        from my experiance they all work about the same

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
        sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
        bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

Originally posted by 904drACCORDMANG View Post
          theres a few different kinds of engine degreasers at the part stores
          from my experiance they all work about the same
          but will a de-greaser eat my gaskets? cause arent they corrosive?

Comment

Some degreaser are corrosive and should not be used. Or if used on engine and engine bay, the surface should be treated with anti-corrosion spray.

I use "Zep" Citrus Degreaser 10:1 mixed with water and siphon gun to clean. I tested this degreaser against a piece of aluminum. Aluminum was in the 100% degreaser for three days and didn't show sign of discoloration. It is safe to assume this product is not corrosive, but you need to come to your own conclusion. Also, I have purple "Simple Green" in my shop. The seal for the bottle is plastic/aluminum. This aluminum is not affected at all by it's content after few month of opening the bottle.

After use of "Zep" to clean, I spray a product called "Corrosion-X" with special sprayer. It is possible that you could use WD-40 instead.

I do this to almost all engines I work on and have never had negative issue.
            Last edited by oyajicool; 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM.
            A&P-IA

Comment

Simple green, or a diluted solution of superclean

8 Accords so far:
              '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
              '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
              (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
                So iv finally decided to clean up the h22 and find/fix all my little tiny oil leaks(if any at all, could just be there from before or what not...

but anyways to the topic what should i use to clean the motor with... i know it will need to be something sensor safe, also i dont want to use something that will eat my gaskets, as i dont want to replace something i dont need to.. any thoughts are welcome, experience would be nice also.. i dont want to be out there scrubbing for 10000 hours though either(yea im a bit lazy, but try not to be -_-)

also what brand o2 sensor should i get? iv heard NOT bosch... but NTK and denso seem to be good?

Take some pics of before and after shots. I will be cleaning mine too, I'll post pics too.

Comment

Ya kno, i had a prety nice DIY specifically for detailing an engine bay.. but it got lost when the server crashed Had a lot of detail to the DIY too. I might re-do it one of these days

8 Accords so far:

Comment

if you use simple green make sure you rinse it all away, when it gets into crevices it will start badly corroding aluminum. It was recently banned by the FAA/Military as they used it to clean planes but some would get behind rivets and not be washed away eventually causing failure.

Comment

Wasnt aware of that^ Good info

8 Accords so far:

Comment

so far only thing that isnt corrosive is zep? i should make a list...

Comment

It wont hurt your engine as long as your rinsing it all off, I've worked at a few dealerships and the degreasers listed here are all fine just dilute them properly and rinse well

8 Accords so far:

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                            if you use simple green make sure you rinse it all away, when it gets into crevices it will start badly corroding aluminum. It was recently banned by the FAA/Military as they used it to clean planes but some would get behind rivets and not be washed away eventually causing failure.
                            Do you know of SAIB number or something to back up this info? There is Simple Green made for aviation use. I don't use this product but wold like to know if there is any service bulletin for it.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                              Do you know of SAIB number or something to back up this info? There is Simple Green made for aviation use. I don't use this product but wold like to know if there is any service bulletin for it.
                              Im sure google can help, the article I read simply stated simple green etc etc. Didnt know there was an aviation formulation. nonetheless any cleaners should be diluted / thoroughly rinsed away.

Comment

Working...
                              X