Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

parts for head replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parts for head replacement

My valve guides are shot, so I'm planning to put on a rebuilt head. I have an f22a4, and I'll be getting a stock head, nothing fancy. I want to get a comprehensive list of parts that I need to buy before I start. So please take a look and tell me if I missed anything:
    • head
    • head gasket
    • intake manifold gasket
    • exhaust manifold gasket
    • thermostat gasket
    • camshaft seal
    • head bolts (do I really need new ones? Them shits are expensive.)
    • lower rad hose

And here's the stuff that's still pretty new, so I won't bother replacing it:
    • valve cover gasket
    • spark plug tube gaskets
    • upper rad hose

Also, I'd appreciate brand recommendations, especially for the head gasket.

I opened this thread and thought "the first thing said had better be 'head' or I'm gonna freak!"
    Glad it was

Anyway, you seem to have covered most of it. You DO need new head bolts, as the old ones are designed to stretch when they are properly torqued, and aren't really made to be reused. Some people will say you can reuse them once... but honestly, it's not worth it. If the head isn't torqued down properly due to used bolts, you could end up with a blown head gasket, a warped head, coolant in your oil (that could destroy your bearings and damage your camshaft/rockers), etc... all expensive things to fix! The expense of new quality head bolts will avoid the potentially greater expense of damaging something else. If you think you'll be doing this again, invest in ARP studs. They can be reused, unlike the bolts.
    I would add a new water pump and timing belt to the list, and maybe even a new timing belt tensioner.
    If coolant got in your oil due to a blown head gasket, you may want to consider replacing the oil pump and rod bearings. Watered down oil doesn't lubricate very well, and damage may have been done. Just something to consider.

Is the head you're getting already rebuilt? You'll want to be absolutely certain that it is true... no warpage whatsoever. Also, get the details on what's been done in the rebuild, and what parts were used. You don't want a head that has been excessively milled, as that will do two things: 1) it will change valve timing, and 2) it will render the head useless should it ever become warped in the future, as you can only remove so much material.

As far as recommendations go on parts... OEM Honda is ALWAYS the best option. For parts that can be rather expensive to replace, costly/time-consuming in terms of labor, and that could cause further damage if they fail, it's foolish to buy lower quality parts to save a few bucks. Things like the head gasket and timing belt are best left to OEM. For the intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets, Felpro should be just fine. I'd stay away from anything super cheap, as that could just end up wasting more money and time when it fails rather quickly. Do it right, and do it once.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Is the head you're getting already rebuilt? You'll want to be absolutely certain that it is true... no warpage whatsoever. Also, get the details on what's been done in the rebuild, and what parts were used. You don't want a head that has been excessively milled, as that will do two things: 1) it will change valve timing, and 2) it will render the head useless should it ever become warped in the future, as you can only remove so much material.
      I don't have the head yet. I was planning to get one on Ebay - if anyone has a better idea, let me know.

Comment

If you buy on ebay, and it's already rebuilt, then ask the seller to tell you everything that's been done to it, and what parts have been used. The last thing you want to do is put everything together just to learn that the head was poorly rebuilt!

It might be worth your time to do some research on getting a junkyard head and having it rebuilt yourself. PM wed3k. He works at a machine shop, and he has a good deal of experience rebuilding heads. He rebuilt one for my friend. I'd trust his work.

Comment

Many people on here have had luck with the full or top-end gasket sets you can buy on eBay. That would keep costs down as well as get you gaskets you just don't think you need right now, but end up using in the long run (distributor o-ring, throttle body gasket...).

The head bolts are tricky. Many people through all walks of Honda engines have had no issues reusing them. But read this carefully so that you don't make assumptions.

You should:
          Be running at or near the factory 8.8:1 static compression (any more compressive forces and I would insist on replacing them)
          Have a perfectly resurfaced head
          Have a new, high quality gasket (duh)
          Torque everything PERFECTLY to spec using the correct sequence
          Be okay with the possibility that even then it is an inexact science and has the possibility to fail

So we're clear, I would not reuse them. Ever.

And also, Deev is right on the gaskets. There's no arguing that OEM is better quality. If you want continued reliability out of this car for years and years to come then do it right. If you're trying to make it last until the end of summer, do what you want.
          Last edited by Jarrett; 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            If you buy on ebay, and it's already rebuilt, then ask the seller to tell you everything that's been done to it, and what parts have been used.
            And what's the answer that I'm looking for?

Comment

See what they say, post back here, and hopefully we can determine if it's worth doing or not.

Comment

id be weary with the rebuilt heads on ebay. i bought one for my 4runner "ready to go" and one of the exhaust valve clearances were set at .022"

i had to reset all the valve clearances on the head.

with that being said, 98% of the people don't put in valve guides on honda heads. my shop always puts valve guides on the exhaust and if it is a type s or s2k head, then we put bronze valve guides even if it is for a stocker. it's just how we roll, do it right or don't do it at all.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

^^ I truly believe in doing it right the first time, when I had to do the headgasket on my car, the machine shop I used, replaced the exhaust valve guides after inspection.

Heres the headgasket you want:

Ishino = Stone

Oh and if you decide you want to get head studs in case you ever have to take the head off for any other reason in the future, heres the part number for that:

Last edited by cloudasc; 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM.
                  PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Just buy a gasket set on ebay- I prefer the Fel-Pro brand as their rubber gaskets seem to last a bit longer than others.

Buy an OEM honda headgasket from the dealership.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                    member ride thread
                    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

The headgasket set I posted is OEM quality, as they make the headgasket for Honda. If you goto the dealership they will give you an "Ishino" headgasket, which literally translates into "Stone". Same quality, just cheaper. It is for all intensive purposes a Honda headgasket.
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

i know of a lot of shops that use stoner.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X