Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine died but still on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine died but still on?

So today was the first time ever my cb7 has ever died on me ever since i got my car . It happened when i was in 2nd gear, all of of a sudden the motor lost power, but was still on. I tried accelerating, put the engine wouldnt run. So i turned off my car, and tried to turn it back on. But it didnt work. I kept trying to start it but it wouldnt start. So eventually my friend helped push the car while i tried turning it on ( i have a manual) and it took a couple of tries and worked. Turned it on 45m later and it started with no problems. But im worried ):. What seems to be the problem? this is the first time the motor has lost power while it was on.

Another thing i forgot to mention. i checked the oil. and it seemed to lose quiet alot. it lost like a more than half of oil, but i didnt see a large puddle of oil.
    Last edited by Eazymartin; 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM.

It wouldnt' move, but the engine was still running? Either your throttle cable snapped, or your transmission is busted. As long as the engine is turning, it can power the car.

If you're losing oil, either leaking or burning, that's a problem. Your oil should NEVER be allowed to get that low.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      It wouldnt' move, but the engine was still running? Either your throttle cable snapped, or your transmission is busted. As long as the engine is turning, it can power the car.

If you're losing oil, either leaking or burning, that's a problem. Your oil should NEVER be allowed to get that low.
      Yea thats exactly what happened! I just put in 1quart of oil back in. Well the car seems to be working fine for now. Hopefully it aint the transmission. Thanks Deev you seemed to know everything haha

Comment

I actually know next to nothing... My own car is sitting broken outside my house. Maybe that's due more to laziness than lack of knowledge... 90% of what I know is just from reading this forum, though.

Comment

wow haha are you planning to fix it eventually? =p. Yea you can find almost all the answers for any problem on these forums. I learned alot off this website =]

Comment

Yeah, been working on it slowly. In the next two weeks, I hope to have it drivable again.

With nearly 8 years in the making, and still growing, this site has damn near everything you could ever need... you just need to dig for it!

But yeah, back on topic.. if the engine was still running but put no power to the wheels, there's something wrong with the transfer of power. Did the engine respond to throttle input? Could you rev the engine?

Comment

Kk back to topic haha

No it did not. I tried multiple times, but no power. So i turned off the car, hoping restarting the car would fix the problem. But i was wrong. I turned the key and gave it like 15 secs to try to start. So i was forced to have my friend push while i steer since we were in traffic, and it started up again once the car was moving. Yea man it was a shock to me cause i never had a problem with this car before. Im guessing its because of a tune up. It hasnt been tuned up since i got it. ( which is careless i know ): ). But we will give it its long waited tune up this sunday,. Also, i doubt this could be the problem but, i forgot to push out the cruise control button that i used this morning. Maybe thats a reason why?

Forgot to say when i got it the car. I got the car around march 2010. So yea ever since then the car hasn't been tuned up. It may be even more than 2 years, since i don't recall asking the previous owner when was the last time the car was tuned up
              Last edited by Eazymartin; 03-02-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

unless you drive more than 30k in two years, i dont see a reason for a "tune-up"

cruise control button doesn't prevent the car from starting.

intermittent issues are tough but most common on cb7's are main relays, icm's and probably bad battery connections.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Yeah, been working on it slowly. In the next two weeks, I hope to have it drivable again.
                  I feel like i made it even worse by putting suspension on it that can't be bolted together lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    unless you drive more than 30k in two years, i dont see a reason for a "tune-up"

cruise control button doesn't prevent the car from starting.

intermittent issues are tough but most common on cb7's are main relays, icm's and probably bad battery connections.
                    I mostly drive just to school and home, rarely do i travel to like other cities, unless im buying stuff off craigslist, or hitting up the beaches lol. But idk i think i got the car when it had 250k miles, and now it just reached 290k. So i can't keep putting off the tune up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eazymartin View Post
                      I mostly drive just to school and home, rarely do i travel to like other cities, unless im buying stuff off craigslist, or hitting up the beaches lol. But idk i think i got the car when it had 250k miles, and now it just reached 290k. So i can't keep putting off the tune up for it.
                      putting off your tune up is bad and will cause this to happen . i belive it's every 3,000 miles or every 6 months what ever comes first is what the book say's . do a tune up ( caps , rotor , plugs , wire's , oil , oil filter , feul filter ) i think you will be fine after doing this . unless your tranny is bad .
                      Last edited by Accord problems; 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM.
                      this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                      How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                      Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Well it happened again this morning. Going 70 on the freeway, and sudden loss of power. Motor reached 0, rpms reached 0. Tried giving it some gas but didnt work, the motor was still on, but no reaction from pressing the gas. after a few tries and pushes, it turned back on, for a good 10min, then it died again as last time. And finally turned backed on, and managed to make it home. Check engine light came on, but idk what might be the problem. Heres what we think

Me: Maybe needs a tune up
                        Dad: Needs a tune up and clutch checked out. ( clutch is squeaky when pushed in)
                        Stepmom: She thinks its the battery, Because i have a amp and subbed hooked up. (She thinks i just got it, when really i had since october =p)
                        And my dads mechanic: Thinks its the clutch, and needs a tune up

Dev mentioned it might be the the throttle cable, but i dont know where thats located, or the transmission, How can you test or notice if the transmission is bad? any signs?

THe check engline light came on, but turned off once the car was running again, also when try to turn the car back on, the battery light was flashing, so maybe thats the problem?

Comment

Replace your distributor, had this exact problem. You have to replace the whole distributor.
                          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                            Replace your distributor, had this exact problem. You have to replace the whole distributor.
                            Sorry for this nooby question but whats the distributor do? I checked ebay and i guess its the ignition distributor?

Comment

Originally posted by Eazymartin View Post
                              Sorry for this nooby question but whats the distributor do? I checked ebay and i guess its the ignition distributor?
                              Basically sends spark to correct cylinders. A sensor inside goes bad, makes car, won't turn on after awhile , gets worse and worse ultimately dies completely.
                              wat?

Comment

Working...
                              X