Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

shake while braking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shake while braking.

Alright heres the issue. I have a shake in whole car, NOT just the brakes or steering wheel! When braking at higher speeds. I know for a fact it is not the rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, or anything of that nature. The entire braking system has been replaces including the master, as well as front upper control arms with ball joints, rear upper control arms with ball joints, and inner and outer tie rod ends with an alignment. The car is currently sitting on nuespeed sport springs (very mild drop) with 2 month old oe replacement shocks. my only guess for my shaking issue and clunking in the rear would be strut mounts. if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

I would check the strut perched, and possibly have the tires rebalanced, or have the tires checked to see if they're "out of round"

Also, its not recommended to run or replacement shocks with a drop. The shocks will blow easily.
    Last edited by dysfunk; 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

How many miles ago were the rotors replaced? Did it start shaking after or before the rotors were replaced?

I am only saying that because you may have changed the rotors but one time of really slamming on your brakes, or riding them down a hill can warp rotors especially if they are cheap ebay ones that do not cool too well. Just saying, a shake while braking generally is warped rotrs, but not always.
      "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Yeah, shit rotors will warp easy, braking, then hitting a puddle, 55-0 stop, etc..
        wat?

Comment

there was a shake prior to new rotors and struts and it continued after the new ones were installed as well. the tires are balanced and the rims are not bent. the only thing i think it could be is something i have not replaced yet (Strut mounts, perch ect)

Comment

Well that answers that.

So how about this situation. Any possability of water being inside the tires?

So I have a 90 Toyota pickup 2wd. A couple weeks back, I find out stock mustang wheels bolt right up. Knowing my dad has a set sitting on the side of his house, I steal them and put them on. Now they were sitting on top of each other and the one on top, the seal was busted, so I had to pump it back up. Not even thinking about water being inside it.

So right after the install my truck would shake so bad and I could barely see. I took the tire off and could hear the water inside... (Idiot) I tried getting all the water out myself but ended up paying a tire shop $10 to break the seal and take the rest out.

Oh ya and the first time I took my truck in for them to test the balance, I watched them put my tires on the balancer and it did not detect the water, but after i took them off, i could hear the water and took it back to them to take out what I could not get out.

Anyway that could be your problem?
            Last edited by Oreellyfool; 02-21-2012, 04:14 PM.
            "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

The rotors or drums could be warped, just because they are new doesn't eliminate them. Warped rotors or drums straight out of the box happens, for whatever reason be it shipping storage or any other factor. Is there any growling noises coming from the wheels? Bad wheel bearing can also cause a braking vibration and speed up warpage. Best bet is to either yourself or have someone else run a dial indicator over the rotors. Easiest check for the rear is to get up to the speed when the vibration occurs....and LIGHTLY pull the e-brake ( just to point of engaging the rear brakes) if it shakes its the rears. Just be careful when doing this, comon sense plays a part here be safe about it. ( just had to add that for my own piece of mind)
              Last edited by Linkadude; 02-22-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreellyfool View Post
                Well that answers that.

So how about this situation. Any possability of water being inside the tires?

So I have a 90 Toyota pickup 2wd. A couple weeks back, I find out stock mustang wheels bolt right up. Knowing my dad has a set sitting on the side of his house, I steal them and put them on. Now they were sitting on top of each other and the one on top, the seal was busted, so I had to pump it back up. Not even thinking about water being inside it.

So right after the install my truck would shake so bad and I could barely see. I took the tire off and could hear the water inside... (Idiot) I tried getting all the water out myself but ended up paying a tire shop $10 to break the seal and take the rest out.

Oh ya and the first time I took my truck in for them to test the balance, I watched them put my tires on the balancer and it did not detect the water, but after i took them off, i could hear the water and took it back to them to take out what I could not get out.

Anyway that could be your problem?
                No he wouldn't have had his tires balanced.

Check all your bushings, especially uppercontrol arms. And cv axels.
                wat?

Comment

yes! definitely check the upper control arm bushings! I had new control arms installed and the anchor bolts weren't tightened down enough and it would cause a shake on the highway.

But also with the brake rotors....If you bought some cheap Value craft ones from Autozone like I did for my DD thinking it would be fine for commuting to work and back, I would take them back if you're still under the warranty and ask for a refund. Mine warped from new, within 5k miles of normal driving nothing harsh at all. Since I have an EX w/ stock 15" alloys, I decided to upgrade my brakes to an Acura Vigor front brake setup since JY parts are so cheap and I had a spare set of calipers.

I bought a set of Checker/Orielly Premium Brake Best Acura Vigor rotors and all my braking issues have disappeared. They were pretty cheap too about 28 a piece, so about 5 bucks more for 1" bigger rotors (11.1" vs 10.2") vs. the crap valuecraft ones.

but if you're interested to do this upgrade all you'd need are:

-Acura Vigor calipers w/ 23T brackets
                  -Acura Vigor rotors
                  -Acura vigor pads (can also be found on Acura Legends, Accord V6s, Acura CL V6, Acura TL)

This upgrade bolts up to the stock spindles and everything as well no mods needed. Just need to have 15" wheels. But this setup would survive anything short of a full on AutoX track event. Very durable and pretty warp resistant.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I had the same problem, and i thought it was the brakes. It only shook when i hit the brakes if i was doing over 45 or so. Then i had a piece of metal in the street tear one of my tires. So i got 2 new front tires and the shaking stopped completely. I was surprised that it had nothing to do with the brakes.

Comment

I think its the tires, i put my 17s on that i have for sale and look at that, almost no shake.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCBdazzler View Post
                        I think its the tires, i put my 17s on that i have for sale and look at that, almost no shake.

YESSSS i gave my first helpful advice on the forum!!

Comment

you win!!! haha thanks for your help everyone, gonna go ghetto on my strut mounts this week and fill them in with silicone to hopefully stop the rear shake.

Comment

Working...
                          X