Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speedometer Not Accurate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Not Accurate

Tonight when I went out to my car I had one of my dash lights on so I hit the top of my dash and it came back on, but my speedo wasn't working right after. It seems to read 10MPH less then it should. There is no check engine light, but should I check for stored codes? If there is no codes should I just reset the ecu or is it when I hit the dash. I wouldn't think hitting the dash could mess up the speedo.

When Im driving the needle won't budge until im going close to 20.
    1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
    Tonight when I went out to my car I had one of my dash lights on so I hit the top of my dash and it came back on, but my speedo wasn't working right after. It seems to read 10MPH less then it should. There is no check engine light, but should I check for stored codes? If there is no codes should I just reset the ecu or is it when I hit the dash. I wouldn't think hitting the dash could mess up the speedo.

When Im driving the needle won't budge until im going close to 20.
    Either your speedo is going out or your VSS is, but generally the VSS will throw a CEL.

I would say most likely is your speedo gauge.
    "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Its weird how I had no problems until today. It never had any problems before. But either war could it just be solders on the back or what would be the best way to fix it?

I was planning on removing the cluster anyway to change bulbs, but I didn't think i'd have to do it so soon.

Comment

Its weird how I had no problems until today. It never had any problems before. But either war could it just be solders on the back or what would be the best way to fix it?

I was planning on removing the cluster anyway to change bulbs, but I didn't think i'd have to do it so soon.
        You may be able to fix it, but if there is a way, I do not know (short of paying a guy to fix it)

The only way I know is to get a replacement cluster and swap out the whole cluster or just take the new speedo and put it into your cluster housing.

Comment

Im going to check tomorrow if my odometer or cruise works.

Comment

OK I fixed it! I took the dash apart today and the circuit board looked good, so I checked the screws that hold the speedo and they were loose. My guess is that the screws must make contact or something. So now it workes like it used to.

One more Q if I wanted to how would I change the bulbs for lets say seatbelt? On the back there are only dash lights not the other lights. Would I have to pull the plastic off and then pop off the colored plastic? Or is it easier then I think?

Comment

OK I fixed it! I took the dash apart today and the circuit board looked good, so I checked the screws that hold the speedo and they were loose. My guess is that the screws must make contact or something. So now it workes like it used to.

One more Q if I wanted to how would I change the bulbs for lets say seatbelt? On the back there are only dash lights not the other lights. Would I have to pull the plastic off and then pop off the colored plastic? Or is it easier then I think?
              The seatbelt light has it's own bulb, when you pull the gauges out, on the back of the gauges, just turn out the plug for that specific bulb.

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought but there were only 2 bulbs that were on the top the the cluster then 5 on the back that you can remove.

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought but there were only 2 bulbs that were on the top the the cluster then 5 on the back that you can remove.
                  Been a while since i had my cluster out so i do not remember the exact numbers, but there is big bulbs you can just turn and pop out, and then smaller ones, that you take a small flat head and turn to make them come out.

Comment

Ok I wish I would have taken a pic of my cluster, but it looked more like solders that held the lights but that doesn't seem right. I'll most likely remove it again someday to change bulbs so thank you I'll look at it.

Comment

Its weird how I had no problems until today.
                      That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!

Comment

That is true Deev but at least it was an easy fix, just tightening a couple of screws.

With the lights like seatbelt are those screwed in or what. How do you remove them.

Comment

The smaller bulbs can be removed as stated above, however the bulb and socket have to be replaced as a unit as they do not separate from each other. They are usually grey, black or blue in color and very low profile compared to the backlight bulbs.

Comment

Working...
                          X