Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speedometer starting to fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer starting to fail

While I'm driving my speedometer falls to 0 then goes to the speed I'm driving in. And sometimes it stays at 0 an it will take a little time for it to start working. What can I do To fix that problem? Getting annoyed of it.

Replace your vss(vehicle speed sensor). I just replaced mines and its working so far. Should take like less then an hr. I bought mines off eBay for like 10$.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewt10 View Post
      While I'm driving my speedometer falls to 0 then goes to the speed I'm driving in. And sometimes it stays at 0 an it will take a little time for it to start working. What can I do To fix that problem? Getting annoyed of it.
      I would check your vss, and go from there. It is located behind the head a little low, on the drivers side. this youtube video will help, tells you how to trouble shoot, locate and replace the vss, also tells you how to look for signs of damage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxQ1I8mI_4
      Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Before just replacing the VSS, make sure it is the VSS. The speedometer, odometer, and cruise control all rely on the signal from the VSS. If the odometer and cruise control stop working at the same time as the speedo, then it is likely the VSS. If the odometer and cruise continue to work, then it is probably just the speedo.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Before just replacing the VSS, make sure it is the VSS. The speedometer, odometer, and cruise control all rely on the signal from the VSS. If the odometer and cruise control stop working at the same time as the speedo, then it is likely the VSS. If the odometer and cruise continue to work, then it is probably just the speedo.
          Exactly. The VSS is most often the culprit, but it's not always.
          Doesn't the VSS usually throw a CEL as well?

Comment

Well I haven't bought the vss yet and it stopped doing it. Hopefully it doesn't start doing it again. And I'll test the cruise control and see if it works

Comment

If speedo is working, then cruise should work as well. The thing to watch for is if the odometer is still working when the speedo quits. If the speedo quits, then see if you can set the cruise.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                ^^ ur last sentence... will he have to get a new cluster then?
                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                  ^^ ur last sentence... will he have to get a new cluster then?
                  He wouldn't necessarily need an entire new cluster, but he would probably have to buy a whole cluster from a salvage yard for parts (doesn't hurt to have extra bulbs and other components). The cluster can be removed, disassembled, and just the speedometer can be replaced. I had to build a frankenstein cluster for my wagon. The printed circuit board (PCB) was corroded in an area that affected the speedometer and odometer (after I'd replaced the VSS - didn't do enough troubelshooting). I would up picking up two other clusters from sedans (1 to get it working while my daughters had it at school, it had corrosion issues as well), then another at home with a good board. I was able to keep the same odometer. I had to swap out the original wagon speedometer (up to 140) and install the sedan speedo (up to 130) to get it to read correctly with the sedan board. I may still have a spare speedo around.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Thank u mr Wood. I'm glad I asked that question because I'm sure I wasn't the only 1 who was wondering..
                    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Taking that cluster apart is a bit scary. Very delicate. Make sure you remember what screws go where. I got lazy put the wrong ones in my temp gauge and runined it.
                      wat?

Comment

Wow never knew that a vss could be the reason behind my speedometer not working. Not sure if I should check my vss first or just buy a new cluster

Comment

hey guys, my speedometer is pretty off, in the lower speeds it'll be right till about 40mph, then it'll be 5 ish mph off, then the faster i go the more it goes off, like on the free way when I'm going the same speed as everyone it says I'm going 100 and I'm obviously not. Would replacing the vss sensor fix it or would i have to replace the cluster or something?
                          edit- everything else works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Handsome23 View Post
                            Wow never knew that a vss could be the reason behind my speedometer not working. Not sure if I should check my vss first or just buy a new cluster
                            It's more likely to be the VSS than the cluster itself. Is your check engine light on?

Originally posted by Amiss View Post
                            hey guys, my speedometer is pretty off, in the lower speeds it'll be right till about 40mph, then it'll be 5 ish mph off, then the faster i go the more it goes off, like on the free way when I'm going the same speed as everyone it says I'm going 100 and I'm obviously not. Would replacing the vss sensor fix it or would i have to replace the cluster or something?
                            edit- everything else works fine.
                            You are probably running a different tire size than stock. Put stock size tires on your car, and your speedometer will be correct again.

Comment

Yes my cel does come on after a certain amount of time and my odometer does work intermittently and after some research last night im going to try and change the vss first before the cluster

Comment

Working...
                              X