Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h22a1 transmission with one bolt on trans mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a1 transmission with one bolt on trans mount

the mechanic that did my swap said it was ok if there was only one bolt on the transmission,i told him that he needed to drill/tap the new trans but he kept insisting that it was ok.what do you guys think
    Last edited by 90CB7EURO; 02-01-2012, 03:58 AM.

To be honest if you were paying him for the work then the job shouldn't be half assed, no offense. It's installed incorrectly if he didn't fully bolt it up in reality. It might be fine for the moment but when u're shifting hard or just driving normally it may cause more engine movement, which can put stress on all ur motor mounts and cause can them to tear. But i'm sure it does hold cuz it's pretty heavy duty hardware. It won't fall out or anything while u're driving if that's what u're worried about lol. That stud may get bent over time tho.
    RIP '91 LX.

Comment

Mine is being held on by one as well, and has been for years. Also the result of a shoddy "professional" swap that I paid far too much for.

It's not a good thing. I'd suggest demanding that he do it to your specifications, or refund at least a part of your money (or if you haven't yet paid him, refuse to pay all of it.) I caught mine years later, well after it was reasonable to approach my shop about it (especially since my ONLY dealings with them were for the swap... haven't talked to them since.) In your case, I think you should say something about it. You're the customer. The customer is always right. You're paying for this, so "good enough" should not be acceptable when the proper way is well known.

Comment

Originally posted by 90CB7EURO View Post
        the mechanic that did my swap said it was ok if there was only one bolt on the transmission,i told him that he needed to drill/tap the new trans but he kept insisting that it was ok.what do you guys think
        I don't mean for this to sound like an insult to your intelligence or your abilities because I don't know your situation...but this is why I do ALL of my own work. As someone who occasionally works on other's vehicles, I try my hardest not to cut any corners at all. And you had better believe that if a paying customer was standing over me and giving me an alternative to doing a shoddy job I would HAVE to do it. You did not suggest that merely to hear yourself talk! He just didn't want to have to take it back out because that would be more work for him. He has no concern over whether or not it lasts. He wants it to work well enough to leave his shop so that he can get paid.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I agree with that. I paid to have my swap done in 2003, when I had done little more than an oil change myself. I was told on every forum I asked on that an H22 swap was WAY too complicated for me to do myself, so I found a shop that was willing to do it (former Honda mechanics, said they did swaps before.) 9 years later, I'm STILL finding and fixing halfassed things that shop did!

I now do all my own work, and when it's something I'm not capable of doing myself, I do my best to have it done by someone I trust. For example, I'll be having Jak Frostwhite fix my clutch issue (if he'll still do it for me.) He works at a local dealer. I trust him to be honest with me, and to work on my car as if it were his own. He's worked on my Fit in the past, and I've had no issues (I can't say so much for the master tech that also worked on the Fit, as he forgot to plug in my VSS... which caused a number of stressful issues one day!)

Comment

Yeah it should have all three studs tightened down. It sounds to me like he doesn't want to drill holes in the top of a transmission. I was a little weary of it at first. Did you mention the thread on here about drilling/tapping a H22 trans for installation in a cb? This can most likely be done with the trans in the car if he is a good mechanic.

Comment

Please get that done the right way, you'll have plenty of headaches if you don't. A local member on here was running 1 bolt and it was a whole slew of problems including completely retapping tranny for larger SAE bolts.

Comment

Working...
              X