Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

OEM or Aftermarket parts quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM or Aftermarket parts quality

So while the site was down I have been gathering parts for my 5 lug swap. I got the Odyssey 5 lug parts and I need to replace the ball joints and other small parts. So my question is what is better OEM parts or just go to Auto Zone and get the parts there. What is the difference in quality from OEM to aftermarket will one last longer than the other?
    Sold to:
    GunRunner,mtnickel,SanJoCaF22DrAcc,sikz6,daovangph otos,megarock15,
    Purchased From :cb95spd,"sleepin"

For things like ball joints, I'd go OEM. They aren't that much more expensive. If something like that fails, the damage will be quite costly (and even dangerous.) So OEM is always the better choice there. The only other brand that has a good reputation besides OEM for ball joints would be Moog. I've never used their stuff myself, but every speaks highly of them.

Comment

Moog hands down makes some good quality stuff and is cheaper in price than oem...Definitely worth the money...!!!

Comment

I was thinking of going OEM since its like $3 more than buying the non OEM parts. What about rotors and brake pads? I know the saying you get what you pay for but just curious if I should go OEM on those parts as well.
        Sold to:

Comment

ive been buyin rotors from auto zone i think imma try the oem rotors see the realistic difference. Idk if the high quality rotors at AZ matches up to oem rotors

Comment

i have autozone lbj's in my odyssey fronts. only got them cuz i was there at az buying other shit for 5 lugging.
            COUPE K24

Comment

The only reason I like autozone stuff is because it has warranty the dealer stuff I believe does not. I think for my brakes I'm going to use autozone rotors and brake pads for now.
              Sold to:

Comment

yea autozone warranty ftw. i have there gold 'ceramic' pads. good shit.
                COUPE K24

Comment

OEM vs Aftermarket

I’ve thought about getting OEM parts for my front brakes, but decided to go to Napa Auto and get “loaded” calipers with premium pads, and some Brembo rotors. I figure that they are good quality, and it was less expensive then going the Honda dealer. The core charges on the calipers were ridiculous. Roughly $80/ per caliper core. For suspension stuff, if you can afford it, I’d probably go with OEM myself.
                  MRT's:
                  2001 Acura CL
                  1991 Honda Accord SE

Originally posted by Bad_dude
                  If you turn it all the way counter clockwise, you activate the after burner full throttle. Lol. Then when you press it, boom, fast as the T-Mobile data plan chic.

Comment

holy hell thats a huge core charge! i will never buy anything at napa ever again. autozone's core charges are like 10 per side. i think thats what it was when i bought my oddy calipers.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      For things like ball joints, I'd go OEM. They aren't that much more expensive. If something like that fails, the damage will be quite costly (and even dangerous.) So OEM is always the better choice there. The only other brand that has a good reputation besides OEM for ball joints would be Moog. I've never used their stuff myself, but every speaks highly of them.
                      ^this.

Dont cheap out with important parts. A few bucks saved now could cost you hundreds later on.

Doing balljoints is a PITA anyways, so you might as well do them right and do them once. If you buy a cheap one and it breaks, you may not live to replace another.

Comment

Just something I've noticed in regards to aftermarket parts quality. The ones with lifetime warranties tend to be worse quality then a part who has only 30-90day warranty.

Sure the lifetime warranty is great for the fact that the part is replaced for free, but what about all the labor involved just to keep constantly replacing that part. I'd rather do it once, and have it last, then to keep replacing the same part.

When it comes to things like suspension, that is one area YOU SHOULD NEVER CHEAP OUT ON!

Brakes are another story, I've had Sears do the brakes on all my cars that needed it over time, including my cb and never once had a problem. I've also never had to deal with warped rotors either. So whatever Sears uses as a source for their rotors, their good.

I only use autozone to get my car cleaning stuff, windshield washer fluid, and stuff of that nature. Otherwise I goto O'Rielly's, Advance Auto, or Napa, when its not something that needs to / should be Honda OEM.
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

My buddy is the manager in automotive at Sears and he said at least at his store they use parts from auto zone. But you guys are right I will use OEM parts for the important things. I just use brake parts from auto zone.
                          Sold to:

Comment

I agree with you Cloud. There was a lifetime warranty on my starter from Baxter’s Auto Parts (A local/ regional auto parts store in Oregon/ Washington) and a little under a year after I put the starter in, it failed on me. Apparently the solenoid on it was shot, so they gave me another one. Here’s to hoping this one will last longer.
                            MRT's:
                            2001 Acura CL
                            1991 Honda Accord SE

Originally posted by Bad_dude
                            If you turn it all the way counter clockwise, you activate the after burner full throttle. Lol. Then when you press it, boom, fast as the T-Mobile data plan chic.

Comment

Unless you take your car to a Honda dealership they will use aftermarket (NAPA,Autozone, etc) parts. Rough guess puts over 80% of cars on the raod using those parts with good success. Probably higher. The worries are made based on a few internet issues vs the millions of cars driven with aftermarket suspension parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X