Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

black brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black brake fluid

well i was checkin all my fluids and ive noticed that my brake fluid is black im guessing it bad cause my clutch fluid is not like that at all

Brake fluid is recommended to be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles ( including the abs brake fluid )

Comment

That black fluid is probably from 1992...
      Yes, black is bad. Brake fluid should be clear.

An easy way to change it is to do this:
      get a few bottles (brake fluid is dirt cheap). Attach a hose to a bleeder valve (some aquarium hose is cheap and easy), and open the valve. Pump the brakes while keeping an eye on the reservoir. As the fluid level in the reservoir drops, add more fluid to it. Keep adding fluid, so no air gets into the system. Keep pumping the old fluid out while adding new, until clear fluid starts coming out of the bleeder valve. Do this at all 4 corners to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Doing it this way will allow you to keep air out of the lines, which can be a pain in the ass to deal with. You'll end up with slightly contaminated fluid, since it will mix with the old nasty stuff (which is why I suggest doing it with a few bottles), but it will work.

Or, you could just do it the old fashioned way... drain, fill, and re-bleed. If you're going to do it that way, you might as well replace the master cylinder while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        If you're going to do it that way, you might as well replace the master cylinder while you're at it.
        x2. I did mine without doing the master. I couldn't figure out why the pedal wouldn't stay firm. Eventually I realized my master was bad.

Also, if you have ABS, you'll need to bleed that too.
        Deev and I are buds

Comment

Honestly i'd take your car to a shop to have the fluid changed

They have a special vacuum pump that can suck the old brake fluid out without introducing any air into the system so you don't need to bleed the brakes.

I personally hate bleeding brakes

Comment

Weird. I like doing it.

I also have a special pressure bleeder. It's the opposite of a vacuum. It makes an airtight seal around the MC and forces pressurized brake fluid into the system. From there, just go around an open each bleeder till you're happy.
            Deev and I are buds

Comment

Advance has a loaner tool available for a 50 dollar deposit

Comment

Originally posted by fmenterprize View Post
                Advance has a loaner tool available for a 50 dollar deposit
                You could also just get a buddy to pump the brakes.
                Deev and I are buds

Comment

if it's black, then it's surely full of metal and water. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

does that explain why my pedal gets soft sometimes cause it gets soft out of no were once in a blue

Comment

Originally posted by 92exuser View Post
                      does that explain why my pedal gets soft sometimes cause it gets soft out of no were once in a blue
                      I would contribute that more to a bad MC than bad fluid. It's probably the original one anyways, I'd replace it.
                      Originally posted by Mishakol129
                      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

If your going around and bleeding all of the corners anyway, you might as well just run the MC as low as you can without running it dry and then bleed the brakes.

A trick is to start on the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way up to the closest wheel. SO, start with the rear passengers side, then the rear drivers side, then the front passengers side, then the front drivers side. This will prevent any dirty brake fluid in the lines working it's way back into another section of a different line. (or so I was told at tech school).

I also wouldn't trust those bleeder suction tools that has a hose that goes over the bleeder that sucks the brake fluid out. I may have just used a crappy cheap one, but they tend to let air bubbles back into the caliper when you use it.
                        Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

The correct bleeding order for our cars is LR, RF, RR LF.

And get yourself one of these: http://store.motiveproducts.com/meta...eeder-p93.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW View Post
                            A trick is to start on the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way up to the closest wheel. SO, start with the rear passengers side, then the rear drivers side, then the front passengers side, then the front drivers side. This will prevent any dirty brake fluid in the lines working it's way back into another section of a different line. (or so I was told at tech school).

I also wouldn't trust those bleeder suction tools that has a hose that goes over the bleeder that sucks the brake fluid out. I may have just used a crappy cheap one, but they tend to let air bubbles back into the caliper when you use it.
                            Originally posted by 13k View Post
                            The correct bleeding order for our cars is LR, RF, RR LF.

And get yourself one of these: http://store.motiveproducts.com/meta...eeder-p93.aspx
                            Same thing right? But when directing others I would suggest using Driver's front, passenger's rear, etc. as William stated, that way there's no confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by CDelgado View Post
                              Same thing right? But when directing others I would suggest using Driver's front, passenger's rear, etc. as William stated, that way there's no confusion.
                              No.
                              Driver rear. Passenger Front. Passenger rear. Driver front.

Comment

Working...
                              X