Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Running on 3 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on 3 cylinders

I'm not sure if this is OT or not...
    My buddy and I put our heads together and came up with this idea. A 4 cylinder engine, with 3 cylinders. Literally just take out that cylinder, shave the cam lobes (or something like that) to stop the valves from opening, unplug the injector and spark plug for that cylinder.

What would happen if you drove around like that?

you'd be turning a 4th rod, piston, and that section of crank still and that takes a lot of power away... especially the drag of the rings.

also, you'd need the valves functioning to let that cylinder relieve cylinder pressure. secondly I'm not engineer but holding both of them open doesn't seem like a good idea if you decided to do that. i wouldn't want exhaust gasses to have a free path to the intake track at all times either.

baasically i think you're going to end up with 25% less cylinders, 50% less power and probably 50% less milage because the engine will be working much harder all of the time.
    '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
      you'd be turning a 4th rod, piston, and that section of crank still and that takes a lot of power away... especially the drag of the rings.

also, you'd need the valves functioning to let that cylinder relieve cylinder pressure. secondly I'm not engineer but holding both of them open doesn't seem like a good idea if you decided to do that. i wouldn't want exhaust gasses to have a free path to the intake track at all times either.

baasically i think you're going to end up with 25% less cylinders, 50% less power and probably 50% less milage because the engine will be working much harder all of the time.
      I was talking about removing the cylinder, and everything associated with it. Connecting arm(rod) and piston. There would be no compression, because there would be no piston. The valves are closed by default, so shaving the cam lobes would leave them closed.

Comment

Oh. well in that case i believe the engine would be rough running. The engine being out of balance that far will not be a good situation. I don't know if there would be enough room for mallory to offset the missing weight from the rod and piston.
        '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

Balance would be a huge issue. It's an interesting idea, but simply removing the parts wouldn't be enough, I don't think.

Plus, the way the pistons move is 1&4 , 2&3. That means with a 3 cylinder variant, you'd have one of the outside pistons up, and the other two down... then those two up, and the outside one down. That would tear itself apart. For any balance at all, you'd need the center one to be up while the outers are down, and vice versa. That would require engineering a new crank, camshaft, distributor, and ECU program.

Comment

I hope your joking dude

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Balance would be a huge issue. It's an interesting idea, but simply removing the parts wouldn't be enough, I don't think.

Plus, the way the pistons move is 1&4 , 2&3. That means with a 3 cylinder variant, you'd have one of the outside pistons up, and the other two down... then those two up, and the outside one down. That would tear itself apart. For any balance at all, you'd need the center one to be up while the outers are down, and vice versa. That would require engineering a new crank, camshaft, distributor, and ECU program.
              I knew balance would be an issue, but I didn't know it would be that bad!
              The italic section makes me think that with custom work, you could actually make a 4 cylnder a 3 cylinder, and make it work...

Originally posted by Jack93prj View Post
              I hope your joking dude
              I'm as serious as asking about a civic on an accord forum.

Comment

at least I know how a engine works and yes it was a serious question so you seriously thought that you could shave off a cylinder to make it a 3 cylinder...if you want a three cylinder honda: get a geo metro motor, swap it in and make the most pointless underpowered accord ever.

Comment

you'd need a different cam profile. the easiest would be a two cylinder and a different tune.

it's still not going to run very well considering the manifold designs.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It sounds like trying to make one of those GM V8 engines that shuts down, i don't know how many, cylinders for the sake of better gas mileage in higher speed.

My engine runs on three, almost, on lower rpm due to low compression on #3 cylinder.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

http://youtu.be/OemaDoLtS2w

Just think of it as if it was your accord. If you do this don't take off your muffler too.

First car.

Comment

Well mind you for the complete idea the cylinder is completly deleted

Its no longer in the engine and that bore is gone

Were not talking about an engine with a dead cylinder flopping in place.

Comment

A dead cylinder with the piston just flopping around would be better, using the stock crank. See my balance comment above.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            A dead cylinder with the piston just flopping around would be better, using the stock crank. See my balance comment above.
                            Provided no other modifications were done then sure

But this thread isn't about removing a piston and leaving everything else the same

Comment

May I ask, what is the purpose of this idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X