Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

When should I change my timing belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should I change my timing belt?

1990 accord LX 4AT.
    Barely drive it a lot. I got the car almost 4 years now. I got it at 136k miles and now it has 152k miles on it. Any way, the previous owner change the belt, water pumps, and 4 seals, at 107k miles, it was in Nov, 2005.
    When should I change it again? I am not familiar with this kinda of work, so I will most likely take it to a mechanic. Being unemployed, not sure I can afford it right now. But I cannot afford having my car not running.
    What should I have changed also while the engine is open up to replace the timing belt?
    Any one near Fullerton, CA to help me do the work for an affordable labor cost?

Thanks.

its 90k during normal conditions, and 60k during harsh conditions, you drive normal so you have plenty of mileage left on that belt.

Comment

Yup, 90k-100k is when you should change your timing belt and also a wise idea to change the water pump also.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

My H22 has well over 150k on the original 1994 belt. So as long as quality parts were used, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Do you know if the previous owner used Honda parts or not? That makes a difference.

Still, you've only put 45k on it in the 6 years since the belt was changed, so I doubt that it's anywhere near the end of its life, even if it's a cheapie.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          My H22 has well over 150k on the original 1994 belt. So as long as quality parts were used, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Do you know if the previous owner used Honda parts or not? That makes a difference.

Still, you've only put 45k on it in the 6 years since the belt was changed, so I doubt that it's anywhere near the end of its life, even if it's a cheapie.
          What is the price different in using oem parts?

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
          Originally posted by keepinitclean
          I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

I only use honda timing belts not there are not some as good but there are some aftermarket belts that will fail with a lot less miles.
            also if you have oil leaking from the balance shaft or crank seal getting on the belt it will seriously shorten the life of a belt. I have an accord in the shop right now because of big oil leaks and shreaded timing belt.
            Budget Street is offline working in the shop

drop the mouse and pick up a wrench

Originally posted by deevergote
            Good for you. You don't even know how to spell VTEC.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHusk11 View Post
              What is the price different in using oem parts?
              I've got a turd blocking the way right now, so pulling that figure out of my ass might be a bit messy.
              The best way to answer that question is to call various Honda dealerships, and visit sites like www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to check their prices... then look around to various aftermarket sources, such as Advance Auto, Autozone, NAPA, ebay, and various online retailers... the level of quality will vary among different brands, as will the price.

OEM will ALWAYS be more... but there are certain things that aren't worth saving a couple bucks. My rule of thumb is this: if a failed part is going to cause damage that is more expensive than the money I'm saving by going with a cheaper part, then I'll ALWAYS go OEM. If the failed part is only going to be an inconvenience, and won't damage anything else... cheap aftermarket may be worth the risk.

Comment

The previous owner just gave me a maintenance record sheet. Half is in French and the other half is in Vietnamese and English. The French part is mostly from newly bought and later so all I can make out is mostly oil changes. He parked it mostly indoor even at work he has cover over the car. The body is in great shape but there are some rust in the rear seat due to the tail light gasket leak, which I fixed.
                He doesn't know much about cars, but he got the work done at Rocco Auto in Santa Ana. That was in 2005. He got the timing belt, 4 seals (not listing which one), oil changed, transmission oil changed, water pump replaced. All for the price of $400 even. Giving the price, not sure OEM part was used, but most place that I know around there, they always used OEM for the timing belt. Last time I did the valve cover, valve adjustment, I look at the belt from the top briefly and it was in great shape.

I would like to know what else I need to replace other than the timing belt, balancer belt, and water pump? I'll always buy OEM for internal parts. Even my valve gasket is OEM. Not much more if you order online.

Thanks guys, I feel better now, I can wait a little more so I can get a job and get back to fixing this baby up again.

Comment

If its aftermarket, I'd say 60k-90k is a good change interval. So anywhere from 167-197k I'd think about changing it. But Honda also says to swap them out every 7 years, but I think you can go double that, if you're in California since the environment isn't as harsh as it would be in say, Arizona where I'm at.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I should add, lucky me, the car barely ever stuck in traffic. Even when in traffic it never been in heavy straffic.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I've got a turd blocking the way right now, so pulling that figure out of my ass might be a bit messy.
                      The best way to answer that question is to call various Honda dealerships, and visit sites like www.hondaautomotiveparts.com to check their prices... then look around to various aftermarket sources, such as Advance Auto, Autozone, NAPA, ebay, and various online retailers... the level of quality will vary among different brands, as will the price.

OEM will ALWAYS be more... but there are certain things that aren't worth saving a couple bucks. My rule of thumb is this: if a failed part is going to cause damage that is more expensive than the money I'm saving by going with a cheaper part, then I'll ALWAYS go OEM. If the failed part is only going to be an inconvenience, and won't damage anything else... cheap aftermarket may be worth the risk.
                      Ive got to say I lol'd never read that before haha. What I ment was if there was a big difference in the price. But I get what you mean about the aftermarket parts. Ive delt with autozone alternators (replaced 6 times...)

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
                      Originally posted by keepinitclean
                      I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHusk11 View Post
                        Ive got to say I lol'd never read that before haha. What I ment was if there was a big difference in the price. But I get what you mean about the aftermarket parts. Ive delt with autozone alternators (replaced 6 times...)
                        Alternators. Unless they test it and tell you that your internal diodes are bad, you should change the brushes and possibly replace the regulator if your alternator is producing good voltage and the battery is still good.

Comment

I was just wondering, if the Honda OEM is the same as the Gates brand? I saw a timing belt kit for our cars on Amazon with Gates brand for only $80 and Honda sell individual parts for $180. This includes the water pump and all.

Comment

Gates is decent.
                            Hondaautomotiveparts.com has a timing belt for $33. OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                              I would like to know what else I need to replace other than the timing belt, balancer belt, and water pump? ....
                              Make sure there is a seal retainer on the balancer belt seal. Probably is, but not always.
                              90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X