Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Charging a completely drained Optima Red Top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging a completely drained Optima Red Top...

I have it attached to my Fit via jumper cables. It's been cooking for about 10 minutes now... How long should it be on there to be charged? It's been dead for 3 years, so I realize it might not come back to life... but we shall see. Deep cycle FTW!

remember its gel not water so it can sit for long periods of time without needing a recharge and worrying about the water evaporating..my bros red top went for 5 years and he hooked it up like you to charge it and was on it for halfhour and it started his 69 chevele like it was never dead.so let it charge for some lil time.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I have it attached to my Fit via jumper cables. It's been cooking for about 10 minutes now... How long should it be on there to be charged? It's been dead for 3 years, so I realize it might not come back to life... but we shall see. Deep cycle FTW!
      To charge it via the Fit? To do it that way and fully charge it, you'd be looking at probably 3 hours.
      Mind you charging it via another car may not be the best idea - you have no idea of the amps its charging at.

Go buy a battery charger Mike, that will charge it properly.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Cool. I bought a cheapie (still $120!) to hold me over, but that can go in my hatchback when/if i can revive the Optima. Thanks!

Comment

some batteries are funny. my duralast in my 3g lude cranked perfectly after a whole year without needing charge.

on the other hand the duralast for civics and integras was left a good year w/o charge and it is temperamental and will hold a charge for about 2 days MAX

autozone or advance auto will charge your battery over nite for free and tell you if its still good or not.
          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            To charge it via the Fit? To do it that way and fully charge it, you'd be looking at probably 3 hours.
            Mind you charging it via another car may not be the best idea - you have no idea of the amps its charging at.

Go buy a battery charger Mike, that will charge it properly.
            I charged it once via the Grand Prix a few years ago (almost exactly 3, actually... ) It worked, though I can't remember how long it charged... and how dead the battery was. It wasn't sitting for 3 years at that point. It was a year at most.

Comment

Put it on slow charge, my stepfather had a dead battery in his blazer for quite some time, it wouldn't hold charge so he just left it for days charging untill it brought it back to life.

Still cranks to this day.

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
              Originally posted by keepinitclean
              I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

id really try and find someone with a charger that has a ~2 amp option and see if it will take a full charge.
                '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

take it to an autozone they offer fast charging and slow charging slow charging being 2 amps

Comment

and not to mention its free!!!!

Comment

Sweet. I'll have to do that! AZ is half a mile away

Comment

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
                        id really try and find someone with a charger that has a ~2 amp option and see if it will take a full charge.
                        i got a trickle charger sitting in the storage locker that broght a dead ac delco battery back to life and it lasted a year and a half before finally giving up the ghost

the optima should charge up fine if done slowly
                        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I had to do the same thing about two weeks ago and I put it on a 2 amp slow charge, think it took about 6-8 hours or so and the battery was fully charged and has no issues since. Red tops can take a serious beating mine is about 12 years old now and sat for almost 4 years.
                          93 CB7 SE Coupe
                          00 EJ6 Sedan
                          12 Pilot Touring
                          08 Altima Coupe V6 SE

Comment

Optimas are very easy to fry if improperly charged.. 2amp trickle max.. and you really should be using something similar to a Ctek or a BatteryTender brand charger for best results,, and i would definatly let it sit at least overnight on that low amp charge

8 Accords so far:
                            '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                            '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                            (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Working...
                            X