Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tranny Flush aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Flush aftermath

auto tranny -

car has 205 on the dash, 2nd engine w/ original transmission. I doubt any owners before hand and after the engine swap any flushes was done because the fluid is REALLY dirty brown. Went to an auto shop told me if i do the flush/drain my gears my slip since its used to that old tranny fluid that been it for so long. I plan on keeping the car for a long time so does anybody think its worth to take the risk ? if the tranny slips after the flush ? or just get another car

Don't "flush" it... just change the fluid. "Flush" is sometimes referring to putting a machine on the transmission that will pump out the old and pump in new... and that is what can cause problems.

So yes, you should ALWAYS maintain your transmission fluid. Replace it with Honda ATF. Nothing else.

You plan on keeping the car for a long time, but something as simple as a potentially broken transmission is enough to make you want to sell the car? Just get rid of the damn car, then... if you're that quick to give up.

Comment

I JUST got this done like 4 days ago. But it's not a flush that u want as he said it's a drain and fill. I have an auto tranny with 273k miles and the tranny fluid was never changed. So I got the drain and fill, not the flush. It cost about $75 and well worth it.
      1993 10th Anniversary MRT

Originally posted by The G-Man
      For that money, yes. But my dick isn't big enough for that shit.

List of all my cars to date

Comment

Wickit, did you do it yourself, or pay someone to do it?

It's easier than an engine oil change, since there is no filter to change (there is an internal filter type thing, but that doesn't get changed.)

Comment

regardless of the situation im still going to keep the car, when i went to the shop they guy was makin it seem like it things went wrong it wouldn't be worth it so i just wanted so info from elsewhere before i made my decision.

Comment

If things went wrong, you get a new transmission, or you rebuild the old one. Scrapping the entire car because one part breaks is idiotic, especially if you actually like the car.

Comment

Unless of course it's the case that you have no automotive skills, the car is a complete rust bucket worth 800 dollars and the one part that breaks is gonna cost you 2000 dollars to have a shop fix

Now, as for the people saying "the tranny is used to that stuff" they're what we call "idiots". The tranny isn't "used to" anything, it's an inanimate object, it has no preferences, on account of it having no capability to think. The old tranny fluid isn't something it's used to, it's something that's in the tranny.

But drain and fill, definitely. The reason why those people think that putting new fluid in is bad is probably because they never drain and fill, just flush systems. And when you "flush" the fluid, basically that means they throw a grenade into your tranny and blast all the old fluid out. That is what can destroy the tranny, not so much the change in fluid.

There's a nut with a square indentation in it, I think you put a 3/8" ratchet right into the nut, don't need a socket. It's on the passenger's side of the car, near the bottom of the tranny, hard to miss. Get a pan under it, stick a ratchet in there, and remove the nut. It's like changing your regular oil pretty much. When you're done, put Honda ATF in it and you'll be fine. This only changes SOME of the oil, not all of it, I think it drains like 1.5 quarts and the tranny holds about 5 quarts. Most of that fluid is gonna still be in the torque converter when you're done. So you'll have about 1.5 quarts new, 3.5 quarts old

Now, what you wanna do from there is drive it for a few days and check the tranny fluid. If you still don't like it, drain and fill again. That removes 1.5 quarts of mixed fluid (0.45 quarts new, 1.05 quarts old). Add another quart and a half and you'll have 2.55 quarts of new stuff, 2.45 quarts of old stuff and you should be just fine.

Otherwise, there is one other option for a flush. I think it takes two people though.
              Remove the plug at the bottom of the transmission and drain it
              Unplug the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor cap
              Have someone turn the key a little bit to push more fluid out, while someone else pours more fluid in.
              Watch the fluid coming out of the tranny, once it starts to look good, stop running the starter and put the plug in. Finish filling the tranny until it's at the right level and call it good.

Comment

drain and fill 3 times over a year. You will be fine.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

thanks for all the info imma go with the drain & fill for now and just see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                    drain and fill 3 times over a year. You will be fine.
                    That's the safe way to do a "flush". Circulate 99% of the old fluid out of there gently, over time.

Just remember, if mechanical damage exists already, no fluid change is ever going to repair it. Still, new quality fluid (Honda fluid) will at least help with some of the symptoms, and help keep the damage from getting significantly worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X