Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

I had a minor oil leak, and i wanted to update to a stainless exhaust, so while I had the old exhaust off, I replaced the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and retorqued the pan bolts, and now the leak is worse that it was before, any ideas as to where this leak could be coming from? it seems to be seeping from there the tranny bolts to the engine right next to the shift linkage, but im not sure, any ideas?

There are metal spaces in the OEM pan gasket, did all of them come off with the old gasket (Honda dealer changed my first one and had this happen). Don't overtorque the bolts/nuts.

Rear main seal (actually at the right end of the engine) is a typical cause of leakage between the engine and tranny; unfortunately it requires removal of the transmission to replace it. Distributor seal leakage will show up on top of the transmission at that end of the engine. Head gasket could leak as well. Clean everything the best you can, then track down the source.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Sidwell View Post
      I had a minor oil leak, and i wanted to update to a stainless exhaust, so while I had the old exhaust off, I replaced the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and retorqued the pan bolts, and now the leak is worse that it was before, any ideas as to where this leak could be coming from? it seems to be seeping from there the tranny bolts to the engine right next to the shift linkage, but im not sure, any ideas?
      Sidwell im having that the same problem but in a different spot. had to jump on here so I wouldnt waste no thread spot. My car also having an oil leak also but mines coming somewhere around the oil filter cause i changed my OEM pan gasket from where the previous owner told me but i know mines not leaking from the valve cover so im just about as lost as you are, but anyway any idea of where it could be coming from?

TKCB792

Comment

If it appears to be seeping from where the transmission bolts to the block, it is most certainly your rear main seal. The transmission must be removed to change it. However, if you do not change it soon, it will fail completely. When that happens, your engine will lose all oil very quickly. If you cannot turn it off immediately, the engine will be destroyed. Fortunately, you sound like the type of guy who isn't afraid to take the necessary steps to maintain his engine!

TKCB790, if your leak is coming from the oil filter area, wash the area thoroughly and see if you can identify the exact area that it's leaking from. That will help narrow things down.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          If it appears to be seeping from where the transmission bolts to the block, it is most certainly your rear main seal. The transmission must be removed to change it. However, if you do not change it soon, it will fail completely. When that happens, your engine will lose all oil very quickly. If you cannot turn it off immediately, the engine will be destroyed. Fortunately, you sound like the type of guy who isn't afraid to take the necessary steps to maintain his engine!

TKCB790, if your leak is coming from the oil filter area, wash the area thoroughly and see if you can identify the exact area that it's leaking from. That will help narrow things down.
          Will do deevergote

TKCB792

Comment

I had oil everywhere under my passenger side for a while. I thought it was the rear engine seal for a long time.

Finally replaced the passenger axle seal - that solved the problem and was a fairly easy fix once I figured out that was the source.
            90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

That wouldn't be leaking from between the transmission and block, though.

When trying to find the source of a leak, cleaning the engine is the best way to do it.

Comment

Thanks deev, that oil leak turns out to be the oil pressure switch cause of it being half way screwed on so i changed it,...solve it rite up

TKCB792

Comment

Working...
                X