Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Things to look for when buying used 4g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to look for when buying used 4g

I used to own an accord that was in an accident that will now be a donor parts car.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 92 with 220, 000 kms on it selling for pretty cheap.

Can you guys please advise me on things I should keep a look out for? My accord was pretty reliable therefore I don't know if there are any particular issues I should be cautious about.

You'll generally want to look for rust or corrosion of any kind, and consider whether or not it's fixable. Make sure (mostly) everything works, such as A/C, windows, brakes (important!) and make sure the transmission doesn't slip or the engine is making strange noises. I had most of these problems when I bought my accord, but I really fell in love with it so I bought it despite its condition.

Look for mechanical problems; basically everything under the hood should be in good condition or at least an easy fix.

Try to find out as many problems with the car as you can, and carefully consider the cost involved to fix said problems. For example, if the car needs a new engine that costs $2000, and you think the car's only worth $1000, it might not be for you. It all depends on how badly you want the car.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoDinosaur View Post
      You'll generally want to look for rust or corrosion of any kind, and consider whether or not it's fixable. Make sure (mostly) everything works, such as A/C, windows, brakes (important!) and make sure the transmission doesn't slip or the engine is making strange noises. I had most of these problems when I bought my accord, but I really fell in love with it so I bought it despite its condition.

Look for mechanical problems; basically everything under the hood should be in good condition or at least an easy fix.

Try to find out as many problems with the car as you can, and carefully consider the cost involved to fix said problems. For example, if the car needs a new engine that costs $2000, and you think the car's only worth $1000, it might not be for you. It all depends on how badly you want the car.
      From the pics car looks like it has little to no rust, which is pretty rare around here. Paint is a faded purple though lol. It's also an American car (mph guage) in Canada so maybe that accounts for the lack of rust.

I'm hoping it's sound mechanically, because that's where it counts.

I'm also thinking I should show up a little early. I want to cold start it see how many turns it takes to fire up.

Comment

let me know what u guys think.

Comment

Either an exhaust tip was broken off or the muffler was replaced at some point.

Is that a red leather interior?

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post

This is the only pic of the interior (other than the odometer pic).. but from my view it looks like it is leather interior. My car also had a red interior but no stitching like in this pic.

Comment

It's automatic, so that may present some problems. Many of the automatic transmissions in these cars have not been maintained properly, and they're showing it at this point.
              Look for a flashing D4 light, which indicates an error code from the transmission computer (TCU). A flashing "check engine" light (CEL) indicates an error code from the engine computer (ECU). Most of the things reported by those lights are easy to fix, but if there are error codes present, you can use them to talk down the price!

Comment

Make sure you look under that bra. AFAIK they're not supposed to be left on for extended periods.

Also, is that rust on the trunk?

Comment

just because a car is cheap doesnt mean itll be cheap to keep. keep that in mind (damn i used alot of "keeps")

Comment

Originally posted by mitsubishiv5 View Post
                    just because a car is cheap doesnt mean itll be cheap to keep. keep that in mind (damn i used alot of "keeps")
                    That was only 2 well 3. Anyways like everyone else said rust, cel, also check the fluids especially the oil.

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
                    Originally posted by keepinitclean
                    I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

If the oil look brand new they might be trying to hide something like an oil leak or an engine knock. Take a good look under the car for oil build up around the oil pan. Make sure the e-brake is not loose. Check behind front wheels for gresse build up around knuckles form torn cv boots. make sure power door locks work along with all the windows.

Also looks like the cancer is starting to build up in the rear wheel arces could be a bad sign.

Good Luck.
                      Last edited by Chris2388; 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM.
                      92 CB7 F22 5 speed.

^MY RIDE THREAD^

Comment

Originally posted by mitsubishiv5 View Post
                        I have a parts car in the garage, a 90 exr, only difference is it's a coupe and manual tranny. So I should be good for parts, and while not a pro I can do some shade tree repairs. Like for example I once changed my own fuel pump which required to remove the gas tank as you guys probably already know. Some may snicker at that because they think that it's not difficult but for me it was quite an achievement.
                        Last edited by eightyfour84; 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2388 View Post
                          If the oil look brand new they might be trying to hide something like an oil leak or an engine knock. Take a good look under the car for oil build up around the oil pan. Make sure the e-brake is not loose. Check behind front wheels for gresse build up around knuckles form torn cv boots. make sure power door locks work along with all the windows.

Also looks like the cancer is starting to build up in the rear wheel arces could be a bad sign.

Good Luck.
                          This is exactly what's come to light (oil leak when car is shut off). Can you guys plz check out my new thread and give your insights. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=182779

Also about the rust, at this price, beggars can't be choosers. It's practically impossible to find a cb7 in Canada with no rust. Ones that are, have been worked on with possibly new metal being welded on.
                          Last edited by eightyfour84; 09-01-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post

With your post I asked him about it and he sayed the muffler (cat and everything) along with the radiator was replaced last winter.

Comment

Working...
                            X