Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Full cat back questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full cat back questions

I am planning on getting a full 2.25" or 2.5" cat back system for my car sometime. I was wondering what the general price is for a cat back like this. I looked on ebay and found one for $110 (http://tinyurl.com/3fwb8n7). Would it cost much more if I took my car to a muffler shop and had them make an exhaust system for my car? Also, if i bought this http://tinyurl.com/3fwb8n7 would I be able to use my own muffler on the system or would I have to use the one that came with it? What would you recommend?
    cb7sk8rdude

Most of the eBay brand parts are CRAP.
    STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.

Your car looks mint as it is, if you want a real cat-back that isn't going to get you pulled over but sounds good and actually improves power somewhat is the Apexi WS2. It's a great system and easily more avaliable.

It's a lot more $$$ than a eBay exhaust, but there is major difference, do not do it.
    Also anything bigger than 2.25" will actually cause you to LOOSE power if your motor is next to stock you will only take advantage of a larger exhaust if you have a mildly built H22A or F22A or have a turbo setup.

If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.
    Don't cheap out on your car, or it WILL cheap out on YOU.
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

if you do take your car to a muffler shop, i'd look for one that mendrel bends the pipes instead of crush bending.

if you're looking for a good catback, my money is with Apexi's WSII.

It's a little pricey but well worth the cost. I even did some work for you and found the cheapest dealer,

Here
      Last edited by Leung; 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7sk8rdude View Post
        I am planning on getting a full 2.25" or 2.5" cat back system for my car sometime. I was wondering what the general price is for a cat back like this. I looked on ebay and found one for $110 (http://tinyurl.com/3fwb8n7). Would it cost much more if I took my car to a muffler shop and had them make an exhaust system for my car? Also, if i bought this http://tinyurl.com/3fwb8n7 would I be able to use my own muffler on the system or would I have to use the one that came with it? What would you recommend?
        The muffler on that catback you posted looks to be welded on there already, so if that's the case, you would need to cut and reweld the new muffler on. Not that big of a deal if you have access to a welder or take it to a muffler shop. Like stated before, i wouldn't really go with ebay stuff but it's your car, so ultimately it's up to you.

I will agree with Cb7nub on the fact that if you buy cheap stuff, it will prove to be cheap. I know that firsthand. I went with a cheap muffler and the welds split in half on me. That was a dc sports muffler, what i thought to be a "decent" brand. Not an ebay brand. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Average price for a new, good (bolt on) catback i would say is anywhere from $300-700. Anything under that and it is probably a waste of money. You can find some used for cheaper of course.

As far as the muffler shop, i have personally heard anything from $200-$600 for setups. It all just depends on if you are looking for a stock replacement, custom, and if you buy the material or they do. Prices may vary depending on where you are located as well.

just my .02, hope that helps

Click picture to see my mrt
        Instagram: sikz6

Comment

I need to find my dyno graphs, but with the Apexi WS2 I lost siginificant power.

Stock h22 w/ Dc header,SRI, hondata s300 and ws2 put down 161 on a dyno dynamics numbers.

Same car w/ a Ebay 2.25 exhaust (only change made) put down 178. DD numbers.

The WS2 Doesnt flow worth a damn. Good quiet exhaust, but not the power maker people are claiming.

Ebay exhaust are great for the money, but they are loud as fuk. I buy them, use the piping and put on a better muffler.

Edit: i will post up graphs once we get the dyno set back up from our mobile event we just did.
          Last edited by Yappy_dog; 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yappy_dog View Post
            I need to find my dyno graphs, but with the Apexi WS2 I lost siginificant power.

Stock h22 w/ Dc header,SRI, hondata s300 and ws2 put down 161 on a dyno dynamics numbers.

Same car w/ a Ebay 2.25 exhaust (only change made) put down 178. DD numbers.

The WS2 Doesnt flow worth a damn. Good quiet exhaust, but not the power maker people are claiming.

Ebay exhaust are great for the money, but they are loud as fuk. I buy them, use the piping and put on a better muffler.

Edit: i will post up graphs once we get the dyno set back up from our mobile event we just did.

If you bought a ws2 and ebay catback (both made for the same car, same diameter tubing, material, etc.) and nothing else was changed there shouldn't be that big of a difference whatsoever. The only actual difference between the two would probably be the muffler.

Stock exhaust tubing is 2.25", ws2 is (60mm) 2.36" not much of a difference. Not sure which ebay catback you got or the size. Therefore with just adding the catback alone, you will likely see minimal power gains. There have been numerous dynos proving the gains from the ws2, but here is one for you.

The catback alone won't give you 20+hp but it will give you a few hp. i/h/e together will probably put you at a gain of about 15-20hp. But there is no way it should restrict 17hp. Also, unless you ran the two setups on the same day (which i doubt) in the same conditions, the comparison isn't as accurate. As you can see in this dyno graph, but they are pretty close.

Comment

the catback on ebay for 110 is your best bet and cheapest.. muffler shop will charge at least twice as much

Comment

Originally posted by cb7sk8rdude View Post
                If your gonna buy this system I would suggest buying and using it for the tubing only. Install it yourself, then buy a nicer muffler and pay the muffler shop to hang it for you.

A lot less than the Apexi system in question, well depending on how expensive of a muffler you buy.

Some of the members were experimenting with a $20 cheap ass muffler from Autozone or somewhere, and The results werent that bad. Cant remember the thread, but I believe thepowderblue is one of the members that did it.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

you can also buy a megan catback for about 250 and they look and sound real sexy

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                    If your gonna buy this system I would suggest buying and using it for the tubing only. Install it yourself, then buy a nicer muffler and pay the muffler shop to hang it for you.

A lot less than the Apexi system in question, well depending on how expensive of a muffler you buy.

Some of the members were experimenting with a $20 cheap ass muffler from Autozone or somewhere, and The results werent that bad. Cant remember the thread, but I believe thepowderblue is one of the members that did it.
                    Might as well go to a metal supplier and get the stuff himself, he'd save on shipping and it would be a fraction of the price. I got all the material for my exhaust for about $35 (with the homie hookup). Without though, i think it would've only been maybe $50. Buy your own metal + good welder/fabricator= nice exhaust, easy on the wallet, quality product, and lifetime warranty.

Yes it will be cheaper, but i would suggest getting a quality muffler if you go that route. Custom setups can be really nice if done right. I have a nice custom exhaust (imo) but cheaped out on the muffler. Bad decision on my part. But with a nice quality muffler it'll be better than any header back exhaust i could've bought.

Trust me, do not cheap out on parts!!! It will save you time and money if you just buy quality parts the first time. Do it right or do it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by sikz6 View Post
                      Stock exhaust tubing is 2.25", ws2 is (60mm) 2.36" not much of a difference. Not sure which ebay catback you got or the size. Therefore with just adding the catback alone, you will likely see minimal power gains. .
                      My stock pipe wasn't 2.25". Maybe 1.75 at best.
                      I have a Spyder 60mm setup now and it made a noticeable difference in power, but there is a little rasp around 2500 rpm under the right throttle position. My biggest complaint is it's a race exhaust and isn't bent as much on the axleback, so it hangs low or it hits the lca.

Comment

one muffler that hasnt been mentioned is magnaflow. may not be the greatest exhaust out there but i went to a local muffler shop and had them put on 2.25 piping, muffler and two inch dual tip for looks. sounds nice and deep came with a lifetime warranty for just over 300, thats including labor

The Facebook group

Comment

^ That's what I have now, only it's 2" to fit stock. Is the WS2 a straight-through style like the Magnaflow?

I'm beginning to piece together a 2.5" system now and will stick with Magnaflow. Sounds mean and flows... well, pretty much like a straight pipe.
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-29-2011, 01:20 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
                            My stock pipe wasn't 2.25". Maybe 1.75 at best.
                            I have a Spyder 60mm setup now and it made a noticeable difference in power, but there is a little rasp around 2500 rpm under the right throttle position. My biggest complaint is it's a race exhaust and isn't bent as much on the axleback, so it hangs low or it hits the lca.
                            Correct. Stock is 1.75". 2.25" is the optimal size for a mildly modified F22A. 2.5" too large for an F22A without major modification.

The WS2 flows very well. Of course there is some restriction, as that is how mufflers work to keep things quiet. The loss is probably 1-2hp over a noisier design. I'd prefer a quality exhaust that will last, sound good, and look good... over something that gives me an extra 2hp, makes my car sound like crap, and will fall apart in a year.

NOTHING is going to be as cheap as the "ebay" stuff (remember, there are no "ebay" parts... just cheap shit sold on ebay.) DO NOT EVER use ebay as a price gauge. This is why people balk at the price of quality parts... because the price of inferior ebay shit is so much less. (suspension is the worst with this... it's a neverending battle...)

Comment

So I would be looking at spending around $250 if I had a muffler shop install a 2.25" system? If I buy a 2.25" 92 accord exhaust system off of craigslist or from a junkyard would the price be about half? There is someone in my area and they are selling their 2.25" exhaust system and the listing has no defined price ,but says open to offers. I don't want to low ball them or give them too much if I do end up buying it.
                              cb7sk8rdude

Comment

Working...
                              X