Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Aftermarket exhaust and intake fact or fiction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket exhaust and intake fact or fiction...

I am looking at aftermarket exhausts and intakes, and would like to check on some hear-say before I pull the trigger based on real-world experience:

Do aftermarket exhausts and/or intakes increase fuel economy?

I know that there is an increase in power, that seems to be pretty common in most posts I've seen, but I have read mixed tales about economy.

Can anyone clarify this based on experience?

Thanks,

Chris

From what I understand it will help the engine to breath easier, run eaier. making it consume less fuel to put out power. More air going in, less backpressure in theexhaust.
    I'm no expert but I think that's what ive heard.

If not correct I hope someone will clarify how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by waterpoloman13 View Post
      I am looking at aftermarket exhausts and intakes, and would like to check on some hear-say before I pull the trigger based on real-world experience:

Do aftermarket exhausts and/or intakes increase fuel economy?

I know that there is an increase in power, that seems to be pretty common in most posts I've seen, but I have read mixed tales about economy.

Can anyone clarify this based on experience?

Thanks,

Chris
      Fuel consumption: This is true to a degree. Think of the engine like a giant air pump. If it can't pump out air to the best of its ability (restrictive stock exhaust) then it will use extra fuel to get that air out. So, making the exhaust bigger helps with fuel consumption, and with power, because the power comes more freely. However, If you increase the size of the exhaust too much, you'll lose power and increase fuel consumption.
      Bear with me, because I don't fully understand "too big", but it seems to be general knowledge.
      When the exhaust exits the engine, it has a certain speed (velocity?). In order to maintain that speed, you need optimal exhaust size.
      Too small and you get what I described above. Just right and you have optimal speed. Too big and you create areas for the exhaust gas to pool and slow down. That will rob you of power like you wouldn't believe.

Extra stuff: I think 2.25 inch is about optimal.
      Ignore what anyone says about back pressure.

Comment

If 2.25 was optimal than we wouldn't need performance exhausts since that's the size of the stock exhaust. 2.5-3.0 would be beneficial to a well modified motor.
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
        If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
          If 2.25 was optimal than we wouldn't need performance exhausts since that's the size of the stock exhaust.
          OEM is about 1.75".

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Seriously? Mine came with a 2.25 and a chrome exhaust tip....with no other mods. Guess the original stock rusted and was replaced. Learn something new everyday....
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

it will get better economy as long as you dont flog on it to hear the intake sound.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yes.. you will get a bit of added fuel economy but who cares !!

Comment

@ stock exhaust size being 2.25"

Anyway, an aftermarket intake and exhaust on a stock ECU will probably DECREASE fuel economy, honestly. The ECU will read a greater oxygen content via the o2 sensor, and it will increase the amount of fuel that is delivered. Also, increasing the intake and exhaust diameter will shift the powerband up a bit. so you will need to rev slightly higher to get the car moving. Nothing really noticeable, but 100-200rpm increase over an entire tank of gas will have an effect. Finally, your car will sound more aggressive, so you will probably be driving with a heavier foot... and that will certainly decrease gas mileage.

Allowing the engine to breathe easier CAN increase fuel economy, as long as you reprogram the ECU to know what to do with it. When I had my ECU tuned for my H22, I gained 3-5mpg (25 to 28-30 on average.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Finally, your car will sound more aggressive, so you will probably be driving with a heavier foot... and that will certainly decrease gas mileage.
                    That really is a huge part of gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      @ stock exhaust size being 2.25"

Anyway, an aftermarket intake and exhaust on a stock ECU will probably DECREASE fuel economy, honestly. The ECU will read a greater oxygen content via the o2 sensor, and it will increase the amount of fuel that is delivered. Also, increasing the intake and exhaust diameter will shift the powerband up a bit. so you will need to rev slightly higher to get the car moving. Nothing really noticeable, but 100-200rpm increase over an entire tank of gas will have an effect. Finally, your car will sound more aggressive, so you will probably be driving with a heavier foot... and that will certainly decrease gas mileage.

Allowing the engine to breathe easier CAN increase fuel economy, as long as you reprogram the ECU to know what to do with it. When I had my ECU tuned for my H22, I gained 3-5mpg (25 to 28-30 on average.)
                      It could go either way.

ECU won't necessarily dump fuel, just maybe add a little more.

But on the upside, w/less restrictions the engine will burn less fuel to make the same power under part load. Which I don't htink even the ECU could overcome efficiency wise.

So I think bolt ons are worth it. All my Accords were uncorked and I got like 20MPG all city in my H22 ones and ~25MPG in my first one (also mainly all stop n go city driving).

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                      X