Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

XTR 10lb flywheel any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XTR 10lb flywheel any good?

I know the XTR clutches have a bad rep of being garbage but is the 10lb flywheel any good? I found one i can pick up for $30 off a friend of a friend so i am trying to do some research before i buy and trying to get an opinion from anyone who has used them.Thanks in advance.

i dont think xtr made a flywheel its probly a fadanza...iv had mine for 3-4 years and still kickin...

my new turbo build

Comment

I haven't seen it in person but that's what the guy told me that is was XTR. Here is the pic he sent me...

Does that look like the Fidanza one?

Comment

can't say that i have ever heard of XTR, perhaps you meant XTD?

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
          i dont think xtr made a flywheel its probly a fadanza...iv had mine for 3-4 years and still kickin...
          "Fadanza" isn't a company.

XTR and XTD are the same thing, from what I've read. XTD got a bit of a bad rep, so they renamed it XTR and people started buying again.

I have had an XTD 10lb flywheel in my car. It worked well... no issues directly associated with the flywheel. However, EVERYTHING got destroyed in about 60,000 miles when my throwout bearing seized... so I can't give an accurate long term review. Honestly, I would get something better, just to be on the safe side... and ALWAYS use a throwout bearing directly from Honda. They aren't cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than having some garbage aftermarket bearing seize on you, trust me!

Comment

Thanks guys...for $30 bucks i think it might be worth a try and an afternoon of my time to install. I will check the balance on it before installing. I will be eventually buying a new stage 2 clutch kit sometime before the years end so if it doesn't go well with this flywheel,then i'll just throw in a fidanza in there along with the new kit.Thanks for reading and your input guys.

Comment

"stage 2" clutch kit means nothing... Get a quality clutch kit that meets your needs. A "better" clutch isn't a performance upgrade. If you're only putting down 130whp, which is what a mildly modified F22A would be doing, than a quality OE replacement clutch, such as Exedy, will do everything you need. A cheapie "stage 2" will probably fail sooner, and chew up your flywheel... and a quality "stage 2" will be far more than you need (and it will also chew up your flywheel.)

Have you changed a clutch/flywheel before? I assume so... but if it's your first time, be aware that it's a pain in the nuts. That's why I always stress quality parts, because it's an annoying bit of work to redo because you cheaped out on parts the first time around!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                "stage 2" clutch kit means nothing... Get a quality clutch kit that meets your needs. A "better" clutch isn't a performance upgrade. If you're only putting down 130whp, which is what a mildly modified F22A would be doing, than a quality OE replacement clutch, such as Exedy, will do everything you need. A cheapie "stage 2" will probably fail sooner, and chew up your flywheel... and a quality "stage 2" will be far more than you need (and it will also chew up your flywheel.)

Have you changed a clutch/flywheel before? I assume so... but if it's your first time, be aware that it's a pain in the nuts. That's why I always stress quality parts, because it's an annoying bit of work to redo because you cheaped out on parts the first time around!
                Thanks for your concern deevs,i have done quite a bit of clutch swaps on many different Honda/Acuras which is why i really don't mind doing them.I would've replaced the clutch when i dropped in the H22 but money/time were tight. I mentioned stage 2 'cause i have had both a stage 1 and 3. The stage 3 was too rough for my taste for a DD and the stage 1 was ok but i was hoping for a liitle more grab power but not as much as the stage 3. I am basing this on the XTD,ACT and F1 series clutches that i have previously used. What clutch do you suggest will probably suit me best then? I haven't dynoed but i have the h22a4 with i/h/e and chipped p28 which i am ASSUMING it is somewhere around 170whp. I plan on shooting for 200whp with some more upgrades i have in mind for the future so once again,what clutch would you recommend with my current set up and HP goals?

Comment

You've got pretty much EXACTLY what I have...

I would honestly go for an Exedy clutch. My friend picked up a "Stage 1.5" a few years back. Not sure if it still exists, but the Stage 1 is probably fine. Even an OEM replacement for that much power would hold for quite a while.

As long as you're staying NA, and not racing it all the time, you won't burn through even an OEM replacement clutch very quickly. If you get a stronger clutch, it will eat away at your flywheel (just as performance brake pads will destroy your rotors quickly... that's another thing I always suggest people get ONLY what they need, and no more...) For a mild N/A build, you don't need all that much. Forced induction is where it helps to have a stronger clutch, because the increase in torque is substantial in that case.

I'd stay away from XTD and F1... based on my own experiences with XTD (even though my car has an XTD Stage 1 in it now... that was due to convenience, though.) Exedy has what you need, at a similar price, with MUCH better quality.

Comment

Is the Exedy stage 1 noticeably different from stock?

Comment

it's been a while since i've experienced either... but it does grab. Are you looking for a harsh engagement (that will put undue stress on both the transmission and the engine with the shock...)

Comment

I am just looking for a decent to good clutch that will grab good enough to feel the difference between gears and not that sluggish feel with a stock clutch. But also have a good enough quality that will last at a reasonable price. LOL...that's all! Like you said,something that would work with my goals and not overkill.

Comment

The sluggish feel isn't really the clutch, unless it's slipping... of course, those cheapie clutch kits come with squishy pressure plates. My XTD Stage 3 (back before I knew better than to get a "better" clutch than I needed) felt worse than my stock clutch because of that crap pressure plate.

What transmission are you using? Is it an Accord or Prelude transmission? If you're still using an Accord trans, the gears are longer than the H22 likes, which definitely gives a sluggish feel.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            "Fadanza" isn't a company.

XTR and XTD are the same thing, from what I've read. XTD got a bit of a bad rep, so they renamed it XTR and people started buying again.

I have had an XTD 10lb flywheel in my car. It worked well... no issues directly associated with the flywheel. However, EVERYTHING got destroyed in about 60,000 miles when my throwout bearing seized... so I can't give an accurate long term review. Honestly, I would get something better, just to be on the safe side... and ALWAYS use a throwout bearing directly from Honda. They aren't cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than having some garbage aftermarket bearing seize on you, trust me!
                            my bad i meant fidanza....and i didnt kno xtr/d made flywheels...but i would have that flywheel resurfaced just in case theres a more than meets the eye factor like warping....i would most deffently get a exedy stage 1 because i had the oem exedy replacement and it felt completely stock even baggin gears didnt feel right...

my new turbo build

Comment

I am currently using the Accord tranny which i know sucks with the H22 but i do have an m2a4 that i will be dropping in as soon as i get the case fixed. That is why i was asking about the flywheel so that i can pop it in there at the same time.I should be putting it in this month but since things are tight i won't be able to afford the clutch kit now. Which is fine 'cause as i mentioned earlier,i don't mind doing the work. Sure it sucks doing it twice but i don't want to wait 'till i can afford the clutch kit to drop my Prelude tranny in

Comment

Working...
                              X