Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

overheating problem at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating problem at idle

Hey,
    I have an overheating problem with my motor. When at idle, the fan wont turn on in order to cool the radiator BUT if i turn off my car, the fan will start working right away until its cool again. Im not sure why this is happening.
    Thanks in advance

What specifically is happening at idle that you say it is overheating? The temperature gage rises slowly? Quickly? Drops quickly when you accelerate (or even just speed the engine up in neutral)? Coolant boiling over into the overflow tank?
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

My cars fan always runs after I shut the car off. I thought it was normal... the needle raising when its idling if that's what's happening... Its probably a sticky thermostat, but like the guy above said were gonna need more info..

Comment

Change everything that it could possibly be. Water pump, and change your timing belt too, then change your thermostat. Maybe the fan switches and relay. make sure there isnt air in the cooling system, ect. Not that big a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 99CcordMTF23 View Post
          Change everything that it could possibly be. Water pump, and change your timing belt too, then change your thermostat. Maybe the fan switches and relay. make sure there isnt air in the cooling system, ect. Not that big a deal.
          Shotgunning can be an expensive way to fix a problem, particularly if you're telling him to do the timing belt and water pump first. A little diagnosis goes a long way. Describe the symptoms in more detail, recent service completed, etc. Check coolant level in the radiator when cold (should be full to the top). Is it pushing coolant out of the overflow tank? Fans coming on after shut down is normal, mine almost never come on when I'm driving unless in stop and go.
          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yep, the fan is normal. And blowing money on things it could possibly be is a really bad idea. Your water pump and timing belt are probably fine. There could be an issue with the fan system, but I think when you're moving the car would run about as hot because even though it's getting more air circulating around the engine, it's working harder. And the fans are still working.

Comment

h22 swap,
              Brand new thermostat water pump timing belt, flushed coolant so there is no air inside. After 4 minutes when sitting at idle the needle goes up, thats when the fan should kick in, it doesnt. When i turn off my car i can hear the fan working.
              And of course it drops when i accelerate and get some air.
              Any ideas?

I remember my friends cb7 overheating problem. Reving up in neutral would bring the temp down. This is not my case though

PS
              Sorry for the long reply, i was busy working :S

Comment

Maybe your new motor just runs alittle warmer than the old one. Its probably something dumb air buble in the cooling system bad radiator cap. Hard to say really.

Comment

the fan, should turn on, after a while if the car is not moving. so that they will cool the radiator. Im just wondering if there is like a coolant temp sensor that might be busted or something?

Comment

If I remember right you say the fan turns on when the car is off. That would make me think the sensor is alright.

Comment

Originally posted by DariuszZ View Post
                      Hey,
                      I have an overheating problem with my motor. When at idle, the fan wont turn on in order to cool the radiator BUT if i turn off my car, the fan will start working right away until its cool again. Im not sure why this is happening.
                      Thanks in advance
                      I just wrote the same thing in another thread but it is either your thermoswitch or your fan timer.. with the car running jump the harness that is for the sensor that is in the thermostat housing. Do the fans come on? If both don't come on, leave it jumped and try switching the cooling fan relay with the power window relay in the fusebox. If that doesn't make any change, it is more than likely your fan timer box located under the dash. I just had this issue and completely diagnosed the whole system with a meter. Exact same issue, it was the fan timer Unit.

Comment

is your radiator overflowing at all?

SOLD!!
                        Boosted H22
                        375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Are you serious?

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          Shotgunning can be an expensive way to fix a problem, particularly if you're telling him to do the timing belt and water pump first. A little diagnosis goes a long way. .
                          Damn right.

Ok first rule out your thermostat. 5 minutes at idle wont be enough to over heat the car if its fan related. With the car warmed up, feel the upper and lower hoses, they should be the same if not near similar. If not then its the thermostat.

I dont care if it was changed already, its a quick check. I seen a few go bad asap.

Flushing the cooling system doesnt take out air, bleeding it takes out air. Open the air relief valve to see if there is a steady stream of coolant comming out, no air.

There are detailed instructions in the FSM to test the fan timers. Look it up.

Good luck. Never assume, nor waste money.
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Is this a joke?

Comment

If he has money to do this every time something minor breaks....he wouldnt be driving a 20 year old car.

Ive never heard of the fan timer issue before but your problem is pretty unique and specific so I think this sounds like a very possible fix. Typically the fan either works or doesnt, ignition on or off.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Working...
                              X