Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1992 accord, overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 accord, overheating

Temp gauge reading high. no electric fan(s) operation while engine is running with ac off. both fans do come on when ac is on, but still the gauge reaches the red. No signs of leaks and the the coolant been change within a year. Engine does not make any noise. 40k on the vehicle. This is what i done and replace so far. Replace thermostat and gasket. With engine running temp gauge reading high. 1) jump temp sensor on top radiator hose outlet- no fan action. 2) jump temp sensor at lower radiator thermostat housing - both fans come on. 3) swap power window and electric fan relays - no fan action. With engine off and hot I jump the top radiator hose sensor - radiator fan on the pass side came on. when the engine is running and I urn on he heat the temp gauge drops down o normal. What else can I check. Is there any more relays, sensors or modules that can be tested? thanks for any help you guys can offer.

is both hoses hot when it over heats, or one is cool? Check that.

Does the temp go down while driving?
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yeah I know, dumb question, but did you check and make sure the Thermo wasnt in backwards?
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Thanks for the response. No I did not check the radiator hoses. But when I replace the thermostat and bleed the system that hose was hot. I'm kinda sure the top radiator hose was hot. While driving at 65 mph the temp gauges reads 3/4, then goes to H while stuck in traffic. the only way I can get the temp down is by turn on the heat. It seems the car is using a little more gas than normal. The engine rpms are about 1500 when started in AM when the outside temp is about 75 degs.. Also the engine is starting buck and hesitate on acceleration after about 20 mins of driving. thanks for any clues to fix he problem.. last thing - the D display was flashing yesterday.

Comment

The flashing D would be the transmission probably telling you that something is wrong with the engine. Did you replace the gauge sending unit? The tiny one?

Comment

Funny. Honda does have 2 little alignment nipples on the gasket that slotted into the lower radiator hose housing. But when I started to replace the thermostat on the first go around. I remove the top radiator hose housing to replace the thermostat there it was missing - wrong location.. note: I just drove this car for about 30 mins and it did not overheat. what gives?? thanks for any help

Comment

No. why do they have all these temp reading devices. Coolant temp switch A and B. coolant temp sensor, coolant temp gauge sender. Could it be the transmission fluid was getting real hot causing the the D to flash? autozone has the coolant temp sensor under the distributor for $18.00. honda dealer has no sensors for the car. Note: I just came back from a 30 min local trip and the car ran normal. huh

Comment

Your honda dealer doesnt know shit.

Check the hoses when it overheats.

Flashing D light is something with the TCU. There is a FAQ on how to read that code, its fairly easy.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I had this same exact issue the past week. First thing was to change the thermostat. That didnt work. then I noticed my fans wouldnt turn on when running hot only when AC was on. You might have to change the temp fan switch the one in front on the upper hose going to the head that did it for me. also check you r water coolant resevoir tank make sure theres not soot like substance if so flush your system and make sure you only use coolant and distilled water not faucet or hose or drinking water the more minerals the more heat it produces and boils distilled and radiator fluid doesnt boil.
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177927 <MY BUILD PROGReSS
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  it won't be because cb7tuner told him to! It'll be because it's time to feed the trouser snake...

Comment

Oh and the flashing d is a trans code theres a thread on here that tells you what the codes mean check it the same as you would the check engine light with jumping the wire on the passenger side behind the plastic plate by the ecu. its on the thread also if you dont know were it is.
                    hope this helps.
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=177927 <MY BUILD PROGReSS
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    it won't be because cb7tuner told him to! It'll be because it's time to feed the trouser snake...

Comment

Honda's are stupid easy when it comes to cooling....all the sensors aside, LOL. I could not quite follow all you did in your first post so Ill touch on some simple basics and questions...

1. Does the car run hot when the primary cooling fan is running? Fan on the battery side of the engine is the primary fan, the other is only for when the A\C is on (im pretty sure).....

YES running hot - means that your radiator is probably clogged, pull it and have it tested. If bad you can have it rerodded or simply replace it, they are like $60 on ebay shipped if I remember right.

NO not running hot - means your fan relay or some other trigger is failing. I believe this is what you are asking about anyway if I understand your post. A SIMPLE fix is to simply hardwire your fan to a source only powered when you turn on the car. This means the fan will run constantly when the car is running\ignition is on but this is OK and is DEF what you need to do until you figure out the issue. I had a DA Integra that had a fan issue, I hardwired it and left it that way forever....sometimes trying to figure out what is causing your fan to not work is just not worth the drama.

2. Running your heat is an old well known method to help cool an engine when its running hot, people have been doing this for years and years.

3. If your radiator is good, your fans are functioning properly and your thermostat is good, your probably looking at a faulty water pump though this is usually the last resort. If a Honda has a decent functioning cooling system, my experience has shown that its RARE to ever see the temp go over about 1/3 on the temp gauge, any time I noticed higher then that I found a problem. I must admit that this is one of the best cooling systems ive ever noticed in a car before. Just one of many things Honda did right.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Working...
                      X