Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Vtec Vs Non-vtec & Sohc Vs Dohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vtec Vs Non-vtec & Sohc Vs Dohc

I've always wondered what the difference was. What are the pros an cons. Why is having vtec an essential. Same questions apply to a DOHC. I've heard tuning a DOHC motor is more beneficial because you can retard the timing making it the intake side of the motor stay open longer..?

I like a good flowing non vtec heads, All vtec does is put your car into pussy mode under so meany rpms. I want a good cam profile from the start!
    Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
    93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
      I like a good flowing non vtec heads, All vtec does is put your car into pussy mode under so meany rpms. I want a good cam profile from the start!
      Those are opinions.

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

Comment

Originally posted by cbscandal View Post
        Those are opinions.
        No its not. vtec is 2 cam profiles. One is to make your engine purr and be all economy and the other is to oven the valves more after so meany rpms.
        If you can bypass that economy cam profile and have a good normal profile all of the time you will have more power off the bat.

Comment

So sohc cams are more aggressive then dohcs.???!!

Comment

No its not. vtec is 2 cam profiles. One is to make your engine purr and be all economy and the other is to oven the valves more after so meany rpms.
            If you can bypass that economy cam profile and have a good normal profile all of the time you will have more power off the bat.
            That's better.

You like good flowing non-VTEC heads. You think VTEC just puts your car in "pussy mode". And you want a good cam profile from the start.

Those are opinions/preferences. I'm not going to argue with you.

To OP: I prefer the simplicity of SOHC. And VTEC is to provide a good cam profile for high RPM, while also a providing one for low RPM driveability. I, personally, think VTEC is overrated.

Comment

it really just depends on the setup. I personally love the single cam mainly because of the bottom end which is more conducive to higher torque than the DOHC variety.

All of the cam tuning stuff that people say is a pro to being dohc, can be had with the properly designed camshaft for a single cam.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
              member ride thread
              11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
              DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
              People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
              I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
              John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

hopefully no one gets pissed of my oppinion. DOHC i better than SOHC and v tech is better than no tech lol

Comment

I'd be careful before you speak mistruths, especially in the beginner section where you could detrimentally affect someone's initial learning.

1) VTEC is not necessarily designed for engine purring and economy. What it IS designed to do is make the engine more flexible over a broader range. Luckly, low RPM torque and response happen to be created by the same things that make the engine purr and be all economy, because the camshaft is efficient at those engine speeds.

Then, to avoid the typical non-VTEC compromise of either having to tune an engine for low RPM response OR top end power, it has the second set of cams that takes over at high RPM's, which allows it to breathe well in the top end, which is coincidentally what is needed to make good power up top.

In the end, you end up with MORE bottom end torque and power AND more top end power, which is something you can't do with a conventional cam to the same degree. It is by virtue of function less of a compromise.

When you stuff that big badass cam in your street F22, you lose bottom end. Or, if you size it reasonably for around town driving power, you sacrifice top end power. Either way, you have to make a choice with the cam you choose. There are a lot of variables beyond that, and you have to optimize a lot of stuff, but ultimately, the VTEC cams allow less compromise when doing so.

2) You are aware that a "pussy" H22 out of VTEC is pretty much identically strong as an F22 right? About the same torque, slightly better curve shape, and then when it hits ~5500 in stock tune, it does something that the F22 can't, right? So essentially you get an F22 with a huge top end kick.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by cbscandal View Post
                    That's better.

You like good flowing non-VTEC heads. You think VTEC just puts your car in "pussy mode". And you want a good cam profile from the start.

Those are opinions/preferences. I'm not going to argue with you.

To OP: I prefer the simplicity of SOHC. And VTEC is to provide a good cam profile for high RPM, while also a providing one for low RPM driveability. I, personally, think VTEC is overrated.
                    Vtec is good for a dd. I think vtec is nice because You can be in"pussy mode" and not be working your car hard and saving gas but when you need your car to have balls it kicks in... Get what I am saying? I wish there was a switch in your car to turn vtec all of the time or off.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                      I'd be careful before you speak mistruths, especially in the beginner section where you could detrimentally affect someone's initial learning.

1) VTEC is not necessarily designed for engine purring and economy. What it IS designed to do is make the engine more flexible over a broader range. Luckly, low RPM torque and response happen to be created by the same things that make the engine purr and be all economy, because the camshaft is efficient at those engine speeds.

Then, to avoid the typical non-VTEC compromise of either having to tune an engine for low RPM response OR top end power, it has the second set of cams that takes over at high RPM's, which allows it to breathe well in the top end, which is coincidentally what is needed to make good power up top.

In the end, you end up with MORE bottom end torque and power AND more top end power, which is something you can't do with a conventional cam to the same degree. It is by virtue of function less of a compromise.

When you stuff that big badass cam in your street F22, you lose bottom end. Or, if you size it reasonably for around town driving power, you sacrifice top end power. Either way, you have to make a choice with the cam you choose. There are a lot of variables beyond that, and you have to optimize a lot of stuff, but ultimately, the VTEC cams allow less compromise when doing so.

2) You are aware that a "pussy" H22 out of VTEC is pretty much identically strong as an F22 right? About the same torque, slightly better curve shape, and then when it hits ~5500 in stock tune, it does something that the F22 can't, right? So essentially you get an F22 with a huge top end kick.
                      Very true.
                      I know some vtec heads will cut power like on the F SERIES
                      Last edited by thepowderblue; 06-20-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Pussy mode? My H22 didn't come with that.
                        I bet if I managed to stay out of vtec, or in pussy mode as you call it, I would still stomp your f series.

And then a beautiful thing happens ...

The heavens are stirred, creatures silenced, as the roar of the motor opening up and vtec engages leaves you in awe.

Of course you speak of the h the way you do, as you don't own one.

Single cam vtec f series, was a sales pitch.

Dohc h series vtec, a thing of genius.

I still don't think you understand the whole vtec thing. It isn't a button you can push for a surge of power like the Knight rider car. You want that, get nitrous.

You can't have it all the time, because you will either give up top end or low end. Essentially a non-vtec motor.

So, don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
                        Last edited by djcaz_aom; 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                          Pussy mode? My H22 didn't come with that.
                          I bet if I managed to stay out of vtec, or in pussy mode as you call it, I would still stomp your f series.

And then a beautiful thing happens ...

The heavens are stirred, creatures silenced, as the roar of the motor opening up and vtec engages leaves you in awe.

Of course you speak of the h the way you do, as you don't own one.

Single cam vtec f series, was a sales pitch.

Dohc h series vtec, a thing of genius.

I still don't think you understand the whole vtec thing. It isn't a button you can push for a surge of power like the Knight rider car. You want that, get nitrous.

You can't have it all the time, because you will either give up top end or low end. Essentially a non-vtec motor.

So, don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.
                          Well said.

Comment

Scott, thank you for chiming in here. I don't have the desire to type all this stuff out, and the idiotic things already said in this thread make me want to delete it.

In regards to the H and F series motors that are most commonly used in our cars:
                            VTEC is not essential. It does, however, provide two cam profiles in one. The powerband is widened considerably with VTEC as opposed to a cam with only one profile.
                            SOHC VTEC and DOHC VTEC differ. The SOHC VTEC engines only have VTEC (for the sake of simplicity) on the intake valves, and are not performance oriented. DOHC VTEC engines have secondary cam profiles on both the intake and exhaust cams.

Aside from the VTEC difference, the only real benefit to DOHC is being able to adjust the timing of the intake and exhaust valves separately with an adjustable cam gear. With a SOHC engine, you have to adjust both at the same time, the same amount, unless you get a new cam.
                            However, the SOHC engines, non-VTEC especially, have a much simpler and lighter valvetrain, which has benefits.

thepowderblue, please do some research before typing. I won't hesitate to ban you for spreading terrible information. If there was a switch in your car to have VTEC on all the time, the car would barely run under 4000 RPM.

Comment

this reminds me of a past thread
                              _

Comment

Working...
                              X