Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22a Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22a Head

My h22a head warped/cracked and i need a new one. this is the first time im ever going to pull a head off so is there anything to look for. also where do you suggest i get buy a head from? i was thinking junkyard but it still might be cracked/warped. i dont know of anywhere that is trusted and doesnt want a rediculous price.
    Last edited by Drifting in 808; 06-08-2011, 01:30 AM.

Well, did it warp or crack or both? If its just warped, a machine shop should be able to shave it to be flat for anywhere from $40-100.

If cracked, id look for a new one. Preferably an h22a4 head, id prefer that since it has the spring type lma's instead of the hydraulics which are prone to failing. Drop your cams in and you're good to go.

As far as head casting goes, id venture to say they are identical, but I don't have any first hand knowledge on that.
    1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
    1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
    Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

Be sure to get a manual and follow the bolt loosening pattern very closely. Improper removal and installation of head bolts are a major cause of warping on these heads.

Comment

Originally posted by 91H22ACB7 View Post
        Well, did it warp or crack or both? If its just warped, a machine shop should be able to shave it to be flat for anywhere from $40-100.

If cracked, id look for a new one. Preferably an h22a4 head, id prefer that since it has the spring type lma's instead of the hydraulics which are prone to failing. Drop your cams in and you're good to go.

As far as head casting goes, id venture to say they are identical, but I don't have any first hand knowledge on that.
        is the a4 better then the 93 jdm h22a head? i had a friend wanting to sell one from a blown h22, but he doesnt know much about it and he wanted 100 bucks. but i think from a blown motor the head would be damaged...

Comment

Originally posted by Drifting in 808 View Post
          this is the first time im ever going to pull a head off so is there anything to look for.
          I would check Craigslist. I have seen them for $250 bucks, 200 on a good day.
          I had to change a head on my old cd5 because it was overheated (not by me). It was not very hard. You have to follow the torque specs and tighten the head down in a specific order in stages. you will be fine.I put a f22a head on
          Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
          93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

The head could be warped, or a piston may have made contact... but you'd have to inspect it to find out.

The F22A head (they are all the same) has the ability to outflow the H22A head. However, the best head is the one that matches the block you have. If you have an H22A block, you want an H22A head.

Comment

is the a4 better then the 93 jdm h22a head? i had a friend wanting to sell one from a blown h22, but he doesnt know much about it and he wanted 100 bucks. but i think from a blown motor the head would be damaged...
              Just by the fact that the h22a4 heads have spring type lmas, make sure you use the cams from the jdm motor. How was the motor 'blown'?
              1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

i dont know how the motor was blown, he just told me he was rebuilding a h22a4 for his senior project but decided he was gonna rebuilt his b18c instead. all i knew about it was that the motor it was off of was blown.

Comment

Take a look at it, if its been smacked by a piston, you'll know. If it looks ok, get it shaved, replace the valve guide seals and maybe grind the valves while your in there.

My Workout Log

Comment

Get the headcheck first at a local shop then if its repairable send it to a machine shop get it cut n cleaned up cometic 2 layer headgasket and arp head studs n call it a day! Lol

Comment

old post, i finnaly got the time to pull the head, i got it off right now and going to napa tomorrow to buy parts. i was gonna buy a head gasket set, water pump/timing belt. is there anything else im missing? the cam seals didnt look too bad and the head bolts looked like they were in good shape.

Comment

Cam seals would be smart to replace, since if they fail, they will cause massive leaking... and destroy your timing belt.
                        Head bolts should not be reused, regardless of how they look. They are designed to stretch. Get new ones, or invest in some ARP studs.

Comment

also 1 more thing, do i have to put the bracket from the IM to the block back on? i hate that thing and if i can get away without using it i will.

Comment

definatly replace the head bolts i made that mistake ONCE lol and if its not functional lose it

Comment

also 1 more thing, do i have to put the bracket from the IM to the block back on? i hate that thing and if i can get away without using it i will.

i would, it sucks to have intake leaks and makes for a bunch of hard to track problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X