Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

brakes+problem=bad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brakes+problem=bad!

ok, so after taking my car to the wash i notice a weird metal scrapping sound. ide say it was 4/4 time. lol. i had some finishing rinsing to do cause i ran out of quarters at the wash and when i sprayed my tires a whole bunch of steam rose in to the air. so ive now taken my wheel off and to me from what i can tell there doesnt look like anything wrong with the rotors, but when i popped the hood and checked the fluid it looked like this.

any ideas? i dont want my brakes to fail while im driving and i dont wanna damage anything.
    Accord SE

93se
    Members Ride
    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Did steam pour off of all 4? If it was only one, id suggest that a caliper may be dragging.
    1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
    1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
    Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

Caliper dragging? Its a highly inaccurate test to confirm that.

So you drive your car then wahsed around the tires and saw steam...so basically cool water is hitting a hot rotor and evaporating. Normal

As for the fluid color, it gets like that after tme due to moisture in the system and other stuff. Its recommended you flush your brake lines at least once in a while maybe every year in my book.

Your brakes wont fall off. As for the noise you here listen for it and if it sounds repetitive perhaps one of yourpads is wearing thin.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
        Caliper dragging? Its a highly inaccurate test to confirm that.

So you drive your car then wahsed around the tires and saw steam...so basically cool water is hitting a hot rotor and evaporating. Normal

As for the fluid color, it gets like that after tme due to moisture in the system and other stuff. Its recommended you flush your brake lines at least once in a while maybe every year in my book.

Your brakes wont fall off. As for the noise you here listen for it and if it sounds repetitive perhaps one of yourpads is wearing thin.
        Everything he said, plus: your dust shield on your brake assembly might have gotten bent in the carwash, causing the scraping sound as a slightly warper rotor rotates past it.

OR one of your brake pads is worn really thin, so thin that the pad is leaning over onto the rotor when the brake is off and lightly scraping the rotor as it rotates.

None of this is urgent but you should probably have the brakes looked at. Or do it yourself, it's DEAD SIMPLE and you dont even really need to get under the car much to deal with if you are mindful. I've seen guys change their brake padsusing only a scissors jack and no jackstand in front of Autozone LOL. Not that you'd want to try that your first time.

For the future, don't spray water, especially cold water, on your rotors when they are hot as you could cause them to warp due to thermal effects. Not a big worry, but it's technically a possibility. If my own rotors warped from this I probably wouldn't even notice because they are already so bad!
        Last edited by batever; 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Ya I know about cold water on a hot serface. But this seemed excessive. And it only did this to the front two wheels but after driving to the car wash and spraying em there it didn't steam. That's why I think somethings up. And as far as I can tell nothing seems out of place. But ya right now I've got the car up on two scissor jacks. Lol. And I'll just kinda take the pads off. Does anyone know a way to bleed the breaks faster than having to pump the breaks. I don't wanna spend a whole day doing this.
          Accord SE

93se
          Members Ride
          Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
          Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Working...
          X