Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Whats the best gas for ur CB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best gas for ur CB

HEY whats up my brother and me where talking today and he has a h22a4 in his car and i told him if i was you i would put shell v-power gas and synthetic oil for that engine just to keep it running better thank normal and he said that gas is gas but i think differently of gas, now oil on the other hand i know there a major difference is oil . but im a lil confused on gas octane levels? can someone help me out

Octane rating is the resistance the gas has to detonation. The higher the octane rating the less likely it is to detonate prematurely. This is why high compression engines or force induction engines require higher octane ratings. Because the cylinders reach higher pressure levels and temperture levels it is more likely to detonate early. Now becuase higher octane ratings are less likely to detonate early, it can be argued that a standard/low compression engine may actually lose power with higher rated fuel, since some of the fuel may not burn entirely. Our cars were designed to run on 83-85 octane (H22 engiens generally 85-90), for that reason putting in premium fuel wont get you any extra power. Except maybe because the car is lighter now that you have less money in your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1992 View Post
      Octane rating is the resistance the gas has to detonation. The higher the octane rating the less likely it is to detonate prematurely. This is why high compression engines or force induction engines require higher octane ratings. Because the cylinders reach higher pressure levels and temperture levels it is more likely to detonate early. Now becuase higher octane ratings are less likely to detonate early, it can be argued that a standard/low compression engine may actually lose power with higher rated fuel, since some of the fuel may not burn entirely. Our cars were designed to run on 83-85 octane (H22 engiens generally 85-90), for that reason putting in premium fuel wont get you any extra power. Except maybe because the car is lighter now that you have less money in your wallet.
      so do u think that it would be smart to put v-power for the h22 engine shadow?

Comment

The V-Power is only in 93 octane, so you would still run into the same issues. The cleaning agents that Shell claims to have in their fuel is not worth putting the wrong octane your car is made for, in my opinion. The two cars I have seen that benefited from using V-Power was my MDX and my mom's Buick Riviera (with the 3800-II SC). Both of them actually got noticeably better gas mileage (at least 50-70 more miles per tank) over other companies' premium fuels.

I would stick with the 87 or 89 until your bro boosts or builds his motor. If he's worried about keeping his fuel system clean there are additives out there.
        I <3 My Honda CB9!
        My Hondas
        1992 Integra LS Coupe (Sad story...)
        1995 Civic VP Coupe (Traded for->)
        2002 Civic EX Coupe (Traded for->)
        2006 Acura MDX (Long story...)
        1988 Accord DX Sedan (Donated to a friend)
        1992 Accord LX Wagon (Sad Story)

Comment

HE we built the engine from block up and . im pretty sure it has more 240 hp we havent dyno it yet .

but thank you anyway this was helpful alot .
          Last edited by JoshM; 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM. Reason: merged double post

Comment

91 or higher in your H22....manual recommends it...

Gas prices are FTL
            www.PreludePower.com
            BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Originally posted by BLUBB2 View Post
              91 or higher in your H22....manual recommends it...

Gas prices are FTL
              thank you but gas is bananas today . lol

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMasque View Post
                The V-Power is only in 93 octane, so you would still run into the same issues. The cleaning agents that Shell claims to have in their fuel is not worth putting the wrong octane your car is made for, in my opinion. The two cars I have seen that benefited from using V-Power was my MDX and my mom's Buick Riviera (with the 3800-II SC). Both of them actually got noticeably better gas mileage (at least 50-70 more miles per tank) over other companies' premium fuels.

I would stick with the 87 or 89 until your bro boosts or builds his motor. If he's worried about keeping his fuel system clean there are additives out there.
                The H22A requires at least 91 octane... 93 when possible. It is designed for premium fuel, and running lower octane fuel can cause damage.

HOWEVER, the F22A that comes stock in these cars is designed for 87 octane. There is no need to use anything else unless modifications require it (such as turbo.)

The best gas for your car is what the factory recommends.
                The best place to get gas would be a station with the newest pumps and tanks. Newer stations have pumps with the best filtering technology, and their tanks don't have years of sediment buildup.
                Also, the bigger name brand gas stations generally get the better gas, whereas the little no-name stations are usually stocked with the end of the fuel tanker's load... so sediment, water, etc... can get into those cheap tanks. I'd stay away from the super-cheap no-name gas stations. Stick to the big names.

Comment

Originally posted by danbpt View Post
                  HE we built the engine from block up and . im pretty sure it has more 240 hp we havent dyno it yet .
                  240hp!.... What are the specs on the build, what power adders did you put in it? Higher compression than stock might require you to run higher octane. Putting it on the dyno and having it properly tuned will tell you for sure what grade of gasoline to put in it.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Anything making over 200whp would most certainly require premium gas.
                    If he built the engine himself to make 240whp, he should certainly know enough about what fuel it requires (and "gas is gas" isn't something anyone with any real automotive knowledge should ever say...)

The stock H22A4 makes 165whp or so. To rebuild it to make 240whp would take a considerable amount of modifications, or forced induction.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1992 View Post
                      i beg to differ...speaking from experience the higher octane does make a difference in our cars and its noticeable especially driving long distance and with how hilly this country is...with higher octane i dont use as much petrol because i dont have to push the gas pedal down as far as i would have to with lower octane to get the same sort of power. im really surprised that you guys have as low as 83 octane over there even 90 octane is a surprise...the lowest we have is 91 then 95,96 and 98. i will only use 91 octane if im low on cash other wise i use 95 or 96 and if im feeling rich and want to clean out the fuel system ill use 98 but at $2.30 per litre it doesnt happen often lol.

also if you have advanced the timing use the higher octane or you can get pinging
                      Last edited by Madpol; 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM.

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                      — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

higher octatne

I highly doubt running a higher octane gas than your car was built for would reduce power.

The stuff mentioned about it being "harder" to burn and therefore may not burn completely is wrong.

The idea behind octane, and equivalent octane rating is reduce the chances of starting the combustion of gas when you are not trying to ignite gas.

When you do set off a spark from your plug, it will start a flash front that will burn the gas regardless of it being 93 or 83. What I don't know for sure is if the speed at which the flash propagates is the same for low octane and higher octane, but I assume it is an unmeasurable difference.

Other fuels such as ethanol (used in premium almost everywhere) have a faster flash front, and higher equivalent octane rating (I say equivalent because ethanol does not form octanes)

The manual's for our cars probably list a minimum octane rating, there is most likely not a maximum octane rating listed.

I should start a thread on my e85 tuning experiences and see if anyone else has information on it, I don't think we have a gas sticky, maybe we should write one.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Madpol View Post
                          i beg to differ...speaking from experience the higher octane does make a difference in our cars and its noticeable especially driving long distance and with how hilly this country is...with higher octane i dont use as much petrol because i dont have to push the gas pedal down as far as i would have to with lower octane to get the same sort of power. im really surprised that you guys have as low as 83 octane over there even 90 octane is a surprise...the lowest we have is 91 then 95,96 and 98. i will only use 91 octane if im low on cash other wise i use 95 or 96 and if im feeling rich and want to clean out the fuel system ill use 98 but at $2.30 per litre it doesnt happen often lol.

also if you have advanced the timing use the higher octane or you can get pinging
                          83 octane is very rare in the US. 87 octane is generally what you will find as the low-grade gas in most areas.
                          93 is premium in most areas, with 92 and 94 existing in some odd places. 91 is premium in California... why, I don't know.

Does New Zealand use the same octane rating system as the US?

Comment

Sounds like we are talking 2 different rating systems here.... RON & MON.

91-92 RON = 82-83 MON and 87 AKI......

As for the premium giving you more power, I would have to say that's mostly in your head. Now if your country uses the new E10 grade for low and medium grade fuels the premium, with no ethanol mix, will probably give you better MPG over the lower grades with the ethanol mix. No real power gains though.

Octane rating has no bearing in the energy content (exothermic energy) of the gas in use. The higher the octane the more controlled the burn, the lower the octane the more explosive and uncontrolled. This is why it's used in higher compression engines where there are hot spots that can create knock or pre-detonation with the use of the more explosive/uncontrolled low octane gas........
                            Last edited by GhostAccord; 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM.
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Does New Zealand use the same octane rating system as the US?
                              No.

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                              Sounds like we are talking 2 different rating systems here.... RON & MON.

91-92 RON = 82-83 MON and 87 AKI......
                              Correct.

We have 91, 95 and 98 RON
                              = 87, 91 and 94 AKI respectively.
                              = 82-83, 85-86 and 89-90 MON respectively.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X