Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 ex oil leak need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 ex oil leak need info

Ok I have 92 ex. Its leaking oil of the right side of the motor. "If looking under the hood". Side with timing belt. Its leaking from the upper part. I think it might be the crank seal?. Already changed vavle cover gasket. Any opinions?

It's usually all 3 on that side which is the cam seal, balanceshaft seal, and front crank seal plus it's made worse if the valve cover gasket is bad too. Make sure you grab a balanceshaft seal retainer from Honda (like $5) as they have been known to pop out.

Comment

Its normal to leak oil from there buy this kit and should fix it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...#ht_2305wt_939

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
      Originally posted by keepinitclean
      I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

If the timing belt has gotten oil on it, change it ASAP when you do those seals... oil will cause the rubber of the belt to fail prematurely.

Comment

ok thanks guys ill check them all.

Comment

ok so I bought my timing belt, water pump, crank seal,cam seal, balance shaft seal, is there any other seals in this location that I will need???. And I have no idea how to do any of this. I just read and then try it any help and tips will be appreciated.

Comment

Sounds like all the seals you got are it but i would change the tensioner pully to cause those things tend to get old an go bad to. An make sure you got the water pump gasket cause everytime ive done this that is a seperate part an dont come with the water pump in all kits.

Comment

Yea. I ran out money to to get the tentioner pulley so I hope mines still good but I bought every seal gasket. That I could find or heard of. The only thing I don't have is the head gasket but mine should be ok . Rebuilt head. The diy video for timing built procedure doenst work. So I'm winging it. Thanks for the help

Comment

Dont do it untill you get the tensioner because if that goes you have to take all that apart again

Comment

also i would have a mechanic do it if you dont know about timing and all that. Find someone who will do it as a side job usually charge you like $150

Comment

Spin the tensioner by hand to check the bearing and also check for play. I have not had to replace any manual tensioners so far on the 20 plus f22's I've done because it was wearing out (just replaced for piece of mind at owners request). They are pretty durable but for sure good to change if you have the funds and a must change if there is excessive play. A general rule of thumb for me is replace the tensioner every other t-belt change (us Canadians generally change the t-belt every 100,000kms or 62,500miles) and you'll be fine.

As for the t-belt, download the service manual and read it before you start. When you go to work on it, double check every thing you've done after. ESPECIALLY the position of the cam gear and lower crank cog for the timing belt and the 3 cogs for the balanceshaft belt. It's very easy to be off a tooth on one of the gears if you aren't careful.

Also, set the engine to TDC before you start and mark the rear balanceshaft cog and lock it as per how the manual says. There is a dot on the gear but it is NOT for 12 o'clock. That dot is supposed to line up with a line that is on the housing at roughly 4 o'clock.

If you are unsure of all this as it is a big job for a first timer, I'd leave it to a shop or a good backyard mechanic as you have a lot to lose if you screw up. Even with the seals, if you don't install it properly and nick the new seal, the leak will be worse than the old seal.
                      Last edited by YK86; 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM.

Comment

150 that be nice. Here in ohio it won't be that cheap even as a side job. But ill at least get everything off then try to order the pully. Thanks guys for your help. And yk86 thanks for ur detailed information. I will try this myself. As I have been screwed by every shop I go to. Probably because I'm young. But will love to know how to do everything myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X